“Perfect for families” 4 of 5 stars

Book early and Save 20%
Ranked #10 of 17 hotels in Lexington
“Perfect for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011 via mobile

Love this hotel chain. This property is nice, just feels older (needs touch up paint, dusting in high corners of the lobby, etc). Best breakfast I've had at a hotel in a while. Nice variety. Hotel rates in this area higher than I expected, but I feel like I got a good deal for the suite we needed.

• Stayed February 2010

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

Country Inn and Suites is one of the best bargains that I've found. The accommodations are very clean and cozy, staff very helpful, and they even throw in a free breakfast! The location of this CI&S is right off interstates 64 and 81, and is close to Washington and Lee University and the Military Institute, so it is very convenient to your needs in Lexington. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Narrowsburg, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

After seven hours of driving, we stopped here and stayed one night in the suite with a hot tub. The room was spacious with free wireless and very comfortable bed. Great advice and service from the front desk, who offered free cookies and directions to a nearby restaurant. Next morning self-serve breakfast was huge and offered everything desired to start the day. This time of year, no problems or issues with AC. Our room was clean and our sleep was quiet and re-energizing. I'd stay here again and again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

Read the other bad reviews of this hotel.
I am sorry to say that I think they are all true.

My room was a first floor, handicap accessibly, not that I requested that. But it was late when I arrived and I just went to bed.
There was an issue with the AC, as other have written. It ran on and off, loudly all night and never really cooled the room. Which was quite warm when I arrived, even though it was not hot out. In the summer, it must be awful.
The room was fine. window right on the front parking, but blackout curtain cut the blaring lights. The ceiling was very, very high, which was odd and creepy...but the best was yet to come.

Went into the bathroom very early the next morning and turned on the light for the first time. There were brown stains on the floor, toilet, and around the shower, on the wall tile, in the molding. Long hairs in the shower, a flithy drain plug on the wall, chipped, stained floor tiles.
If I had been dressed and it had not been 5 a.m. on a Sunday morning I would have stormed to the front desk. As it was, I scalded the shower with hot water and stood only on the bathmat.

Rather than complain at the desk, for complicated reasons I will not go into...suffice it to say I thought, rightly or wrongly, that it would have been a waste of time...I decided to e-mail the company.
I have heard back, several times, from the front desk manager, assuring me that I was mistaken. That brown stuff was almond colored caulk. Really? On a white floor, smeared on the toilet and the shower. That is how you use caulk? And the fact that the 'stuff' in the shower washed off with hot water from the handheld shower? Odd. And the hair and other issues?

No doubt, as with other bad reviews, the management will answer this review.
They will say I am mistaken, that I should have handled it differently. Maybe I should have, but unlike they seem to write all the time, it is not my job as a customer to police their maintainance or housekeeping. I just wanted to get out of there.

Never before have a written such a poor review. It is not my habit, not my wish. This is not something I do. So believe me, with no reason to mislead you...or them.

Bottom line, this hotel has issues. Bad...or REALLY BAD, the decision is yours
There are other choices in the area. Take one of those!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
cx_lxva, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lexington, responded to this review, October 29, 2010
I have already responded to the guest directly in reference to her review but will give same response here. What she first called mold was in fact te epoxy and dried glue that was used to repair the toilet and reseat it when a former guest had an accident and actually broke a hole in the porcelain base. We regularly scrape up and scrub this residue as best we can until it will finally be gone. Solvents strong enough to do a better job would also destroy the bathroom tile so that is not an option. This is a handicap accessible room with a "roll in" shower. This shower is sprayed, scrubbed, and hosed down. This is one of the easier bathrooms to clean since it is so accessible. Once scraping of the epoxy/glue has finally removed this residue then even any guest will not be able to mistake this bath as having mold. This was the last room available due to high profile weekend and when rented, a lower rate was given as a courtesy. I wonder if anyone will complain when hotel rates are lower than the expenses being paid to maintain the property that month.

Having been very recently (2009/2010) renovated, we take pride in our property and strive to not only make us competitive, but to stand above the others. Once our flat screen TV's are in, our renovation will be completed. As guest mentioned, the first floor rooms have high ceilings but rest assured, this is the first time I can remember anyone saying it makes it creepy. Fortunately, when we see a review like this, although they usually do not go onto the websites to document, we do receive comments at the hotel about how nice their room is and how grateful they are that we take the pride in maintaining the property in such good manner.
Rockville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

The beds were super comfortable, the decor was very nice. The pool water was super cloudy which made me wonder about the cleanliness. I moved the curtains aside to pick up something and saw fruit loops from a former guest which made me wonder about the cleanliness of the room. The freezer leaked water onto the food we had placed in the refrigerator. The pool room was so hot it felt like a sauna and the chlorine so strong it burned our eyes. The kids said the water smelled funny. Price was good this year $115. If you are in Lexington looking for a hotel with a pool, go wtiht he Wyngate, it is usually about the same price (it wasn't this time which is why we stayed at Country Inn and Suites) but it is nicer, better pool, lounge chairs around pool and not 4 regular chairs for the entire pool area and the Wyndham has a beautiful view out the back. The a/c took a very very long time to cool the room so even kids had difficulty falling asleep because they were so warm.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

My wife and I stayed here on the last night of a week-long road trip with friends. We choose it because the reviews were good and we wanted to guarantee a comfortable place to stay for just the night. We paid $100 for a night (other hotels we stayed at on this trip ranged from $59 to $250 and were all far superior to this place). On the plus side, the free breakfast was good (waffles, apples/bananas, wheat and white toast etc) and the room and common areas were pleasantly decorated and didn't appear worn. The room was clean and large. However, when we walked in the room was staggeringly hot. It was like a sauna. Really, an actual sauna. We checked in at 9pm and it was in the upper 80s outside. It was over 100 in that room. We were also greeted by a cockroach on the curtain. We killed the roach and turned on the A/C. We then spent the next 2 hours laying on the bed listlessly, waiting for the room to cool down and killing crawling insects of a variety of kinds. They were everywhere: walls, floor, ceiling. Roaches, centipedes, something with pinchers...

Our theory was that the hotel didn't turn on on air to save money, which then created a bug-friendly jungle atmosphere all the bugs in the area flocked to. We were on the 4th floor, there was just no reason for that kind of bug infestation in a well managed hotel. The A/C was also not powerful enough to cool the room quickly or maintain a temperate atmosphere. At midnight, we were still sweating and we're from swampy DC. We had been surprised to find the A/C on high in other hotels in the region, but perhaps there's a good reason for that. If this hotel is not going to use the A/C when guests aren't in the room, than they need to upgrade their system. Or, they could just turn on the A/C and hire an exterminator. Either way, I will never stay here again. When we checked out, the front desk clerk didn't ask us if we enjoyed our stay...that was probably a good decision for her.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
cx_lxva, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lexington, responded to this review, July 9, 2010
On lower occupancy days, except for the suites which have central air/heat plants where the temperature is constant, we cannot turn on all of the individual room air handlers because we do not know which floor or which room the guest will prefer. In reference to the bugs, being next to the woods, the beetle family find there way into the hotel. There are NO roaches. We are protected by Terminix with prescheduled services to prevent an infestation. Copies of service tickets available to be faxed to anyone concerned. The hotel is open to inspection at any given time by anyone that desires to do so. We stand on our reputation.
Tom West-General Manager
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

We have stayed here about once every year for the last eight years. At first it was with kids for their state horse competition, now it is just when we are traveling through.

On our most recent Saturday night stay, we were not disappointed. Our 4th floor room was clean, large, well-appointed (good reading light, consistent wi-fi, comfy king-sized bed with nice linens and pillows, upholstered chair with ottoman, good desk chair, 'fridge and microwave). Our door was difficult to close from the outside, and we had to slam it.

There is a pay washer and dryer available. We have always found the staff to be pleasant and accomodating, even opening up the breakfast area early for our horse-tending kids.

We did not use the pool, but have noted it is in a small interior area. More utilitarian than for relaxing beside it.

The more-than-continental breakfast has a lot of variety, including self-serve waffle irons (didn't care for the sweet flavor of the waffle batter myself, however). They had three kinds of syrup (just don't be looking for the real Maple kind, darn it), and even several flavorings to add to milk. Sausage gravy and biscuits for those who partake. Most of the usual offerings, also. I do wish more fruit than Delicious apples and bananas would be available, though.

Located on Lee Highway beside I-64 about a mile from the intersection with I-81, it is convenient to anything around Lexington.

On our most recent visit we used one of those hotel coupon tabloids and saved a significant amount on the room. During big college and Horse Center weekends, I am sure such a rate would not be available. The AAA rate quoted to us was quite high, I thought.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lexington? Share your experiences!