“FROG trip to Lexington” 5 of 5 stars
Review of A B&B at Riders Rest

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lexington
A B&B at Riders Rest
225 Alphin Lane, Lexington, VA 24450   |
Ranked #10 of 20 Lexington B&B and Inns
Fairmont, West Virginia
“FROG trip to Lexington”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

12 ladies from various parts of West Virginia and two from North Dakota planned a bicycling trip to Lexington and stayed with Bernie for three nights and four days of cycling. Bernie was a most gracious host and went out of his way to accomodate our large group. The house and cape cod were clean and the food was great. We enjoyed his front porch and lawn. The surrounding area was wonderful for cycling. Judy B

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hellertown, Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

**I have no affiliation with this B&B or the owner**
I am traveling on a great adventure through the South, with possible relocation to VA. I usually stay at hotels since I am a single female and tend to prefer the amenities they provide. Similar to another reviewer, I too came up wanting as I viewed the hotel options in Lexington, especially since I travel with a golden retriever. So... based on the reviews here, I booked a week at this B&B and I am unequivocally glad that I did. The owner - Bernie - was wonderfully gracious in a nice, low key way - with a definite sense of humor. From the moment I arrived I was treated as a welcome guest. I'd just come from a highly rated hotel Alexandria - where the services were great, but the bed left my back in need of stretching every day. I took a nap the moment I arrived here and was pleasantly surprised to find that my back felt better. The genteel ambience of the grounds was very soothing, to the point where I had to coax my dog into the car every day just to go exploring. All of the breakfasts were wonderful - especially the pancakes and the breakfast casserole. Bernie changes breakfasts each morning - nice touch.
The house is impeccably clean and I appreciated that each room has its own bathroom. I stayed in the Cardinal room which also had a little porch addition - great for reading/using my laptop. If you like architecture, you'll enjoy all of the nice touches throughout the home; if you stay here, ask Bernie if you can look at the other rooms. Bernie was always available for any needs in a very unobtrusive way. I highly recommend this place and would definitely stay here again if I am in the area.

Room Tip: The pictures on the website accurately reflect the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Tryon, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

My wife and I had a relaxing stay at Riders Rest. Bernie was gracious and welcoming. The room was special and clean and priced right. We especially liked the atmosphere, the hearth fire, books, and decorative touches everywhere. It was personal. We will definitely rebook the next time we pass that way.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Bernie was a very friendly and welcoming host for us and our Golden Retriever. We never thought we'd find a B&B that was large dog friendly, so we had looked at some of the hotel options in Lexington and frankly found them underwhelming, they all just looked old and run down. Through Trip Advisor I found the link for Rider's Rest, and we enjoyed a very comfortable two day stay there the week before Thanksgiving. We would definitely stay here again.

The house is beautiful and obvious care and attention has gone into designing the guest rooms. We stayed in the Kingfisher Room which was very large and had a super comfortable King size bed and quaint clawfoot tub. The furniture was period authentic with some gorgeous walnut pieces. Loved the linens as well, very luxe feeling.

The house has a pretty yard with a gazebo out front, we enjoyed drinking a glass of wine there while throwing the tennis ball for the dog...we all got to unwind and the scenery is really gorgeous. The house cat even put up with the dog chasing her down through the yard.

Breakfast was fresh and hearty both mornings, we loved the crispy toast. We were especially impressed with Bernie's handling of some guests who had very specific breakfast food needs which you'd think they'd have had the courtesy of mentioning to him before he prepared their food. He was incredibly gracious about the whole situation (more so than I would have been able to be).

We ate dinner at the Southern Inn the first night, loved all of it. Great wine selection and early on a Sunday evening we had the place to ourselves. Service was excellent and we enjoyed all the courses we had. Second night after a full day of touring we just opted for some bar food at The Palms, again enjoyed all of it, another meal with fast and friendly service.

We toured the Stonewall Jackson House, VMI (definitely go for the free cadet-led tour offered middays), Washington & Lee University (so somber to see General Lee's office, it really looks like he just stepped out of it) and walked most of the very quaint downtown area. You can do all of this in one day.

On our way home we visited several of the wineries off of I-81, our favorites were Rockbridge and Barren Ridge. Overall a very relaxing vacation and a great stay at Rider's Rest.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

We had a great time here. Our host Bernie, was a fantastic cook, funny, flexible, and courteous. The B&B was lovely and welcoming. Spotlessly clean! We have already rebooked for another weekend!

Room Tip: There are rooms suitable for both kids and adults.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

My family met at the Riders Rest B&B in Lexington, Va., this past weekend for a reunion. We took over the entire B&B, quickly making it our home away from home. Riders Rest combined a comfortable, homey feel with a touch of elegance. Innkeeper Bernie welcomed the children in our party--ages 5, 10, and 11--as well as the adults. We all enjoyed his lovely English accent, wicked sense of humor, and hardy breakfasts (ham-and-egg casserole with homemade toast one morning and egg souffle with hash-brown potatoes and biscuits the next). The bedrooms were lovely and very clean, and the beds were comfortable. Beautiful views of the mountains and the Virginia Horse Center. All this at a reasonable rate and only minutes from downtown Lexington. Loved it! Cassie Price

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

A comfortable B&B, which provides all the amenities. The Blue Jay room is small and the bathroom was not immaculate as there was hair on the floor. The smell of bacon in the morning invaded the whole house and, even worse, our room and our clothes were malodorous the whole day. Having said, Bernie is a very charming man and was very kind to us. I’d give it a 6 out of 10.

Room Tip: Not the Blue Jay room!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to A B&B at Riders Rest? Share your experiences!