“Old School” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Leesburg, Virginia
“Old School”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Leesburg restaurant continues the tradition of a good hearty meal at a reasonable price. We stopped in for breakfast at 9am on a Saturday and the place was already packed. The wait was short and the staff immediately greeted us and took our drink order. The menu was very wide ranging. Try the grits they're awesome. The food came pretty quick given how busy the restaurant was. The wait staff ensured our drinks never made it to the bottom before refilling. I highly recommend you stop in and enjoy a good hearty meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

POTOMAC, MD
“NOSTALGIA CHOW, the way it used to be....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This little hole in the wall has been in business since right after the civil war. It is rife with old American charm and feels like you stepped into a diner in the 1930's. My favorites are the hot open face turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes or the turkey dinner with vegetable of the day and also with the best mashed potatoes since Grandma made you at Thanksgiving. And there's plenty of old-fashioned fare here to enjoy, don't miss the homemade Malted or regular milk shakes delivered just as they used to do before restaurants decided tiny cups at higher prices meant profits over customer satisfaction. The barstool counters and quaint old wooden booths make this luncheonette restaurant my go to place to take any visitors I have from out of town. Never had a problem. Sounds like another reviewer's "issues" have more to do with too many obnoxious kids. Glad I wasn't around while they were "melting down" I have always found the family staff to be what Americans used to expect when dining out, friendly to a fault, always making sure you know what the blue plate specials are and quick with a smile. For more than just nostalgia, but value for your buck, come sit down and try taking a nice, long, deep breathe and let them serve you a wonderful meal and a dose of happiness.

Westfield
“Perfect Breakfast Plate and Friendly Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Loved this place for a family breakfast while visiting town over the weekend. Everyone was happy with the biscuits and gravy. Also tried the scrapple and french toast. All good! Definitely an older space with lots of character. We enjoyed the old photos on the walls and my Dad was able to tell us stories about them. The chipped beef also looked good. I'll have to try it next time!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Glen Allen, Virginia
“History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Great old restaurant wit generous portions, lots of character and good food. The staff was great with their greeting and made great suggestions. As people would come in the made you feel at home. I had a chicken salad sandwich and grandmother could not have made it any better, thick rich and chuck real white meat chicken. Can not want to make the 2 hr drive back for my nect meal.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leesburg, Virginia
“esgolfnut”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This "old school" restaurant in downtown Leesburg is a hidden gem. I just don't understand some of the negative posts by other conbributors. The wait staff greeted and advised us to sit where we liked. Menus were promptly delivered and our drink order was taken. The breakfast menu is expansive and it took me a while to make a decision. My wife, an Eastern Shore, MD girl, was delighted to see scrapple on the menu. It made her decision easy, ordering it along with eggs and homefries. I inquired about the sausage and was informed it came from a local farm. I ordered the "special" consisting of eggs, sausage (other breakfast meats were an option), homefries, and wheat toast. It also comes with juice and coffee! My coffee was then refilled and we took in the "rustic charm" of the decor, a counter with seating, plenty of booth and table options, and old signage from a bygone era. Our food promptly arrived hot and cooked to perfection. My wife commented that her scrapple, though not seasoned quite liike "Rapa", was cooked perfectly and delicious. My sausage was well spiced, browned and tasty and our eggs were cooked to our satisfaction. We both were happy with our decision to come and "eat where the locals eat" and will definitely return our next time in town. Our total bill was an amazing $16. If you're looking for sterile and overpriced, go to Bob Evans or IHOP, but if you just want good food and a great value, give this jewel a try.

• Visited April 2013