“Good wines, but only two reds!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 172 Restaurants in Leesburg
Dining options: Drinks, Seating
Dining options: Drinks, Seating
Dulles, Virginia
“Good wines, but only two reds!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We went there on Saturday to see what this new winery was like. It's very large,many outside seats with sofa and chairs, and also out on the grass with umbrellas.Our server was very pleasant, but also handed us a brochure to joy their wine club. I don't like that approach on the first visit.

They are building another section, which means there will bring even a larger crowd.
The cons: there will be more loud and drunk people! In general, the larger a winery is, the more loud and drunk people we see.
Also, the price of tasting is very high ! $15.00 for six wines and only two reds, and $10.00 for just four wines.
They do have a nice view ! But we had to leave sooner than we wanted to because of a group of people who came to sit under the porch where we were, and we could really tell how drunk one of them was because he coul'nt even talk !!
On the other side of us, on the sofa, some others were shouting instead of talking ! We go to a winery to enjoy it and relax, not to listen others shouting and yelling!
Maybe winery owners need to pay attention going around and see how many are way too intoxicated !

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Sweetie897

“Doing Things Right”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

It great to visit a new winery that is already doing things right. The facility was great as well as the wine. The staff (especially my server Allison) was amazing. I think its a huge compliment when any establishment can find the balance of providing good personal service while moving people along, in and out.

I had the reserve tasting which consisted of 6 wine for $15. It was definitely worth the money, nice size pours and a beautiful big glass to take with you.

I will definitely return. They already have big plans for the future and if they stay on the track they are on it will be amazing.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Woodbridge, Virginia
“A beautiful drive to a growing winery!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Pros: Good wines, scenic drive, beautiful area, friendly staff
Cons: No restaurant or food, still developing, only dry wines (good and bad)

Stone Tower Winery, located in the heart of Loudon County and off of Hogback Mountain, just outside of Leesburg, has recently been established. The mile drive just off 15 is a beautiful drive, with fields and amazing views leading up to the winery.

I arrived and was welcomed by Danielle, who was somewhat friendly. She explained the tastings and I opted to go with the vintage tasting, which included all of their wines and a glass to take home. We went through their 6 wines which in my opinion were pretty well balanced for a new winery. Two of the six wines are not from their vineyard (2009 and 2011 Sanglier Noble) but are from Virginia grapes. Also notable is the way they ferment the fruit for their Viognier, which is in a concrete egg, something I have never heard of before, but apparently is used by some other wineries around the world but not as common.

The interior of the current tasting room has an relaxing feel but not as great as other wineries in the area. They have an upstairs as well for parties and events. The owners are working on expanding the winery and tasting room. The new buildings will include a larger tasting room, making the current tasting room an events room for club members and possibly future rentals. Also, what appears to be a new production and barrel room. I was told this should be completed by fall of 2014. I feel once the expansion is complete, I can give this winery a full 5 stars.

Overall, I definitely recommend this winery. The drive, the area, the wines are a great addition to Virginia. This new winery has some great expectations and I look forward to seeing what comes of this excellent base. The expansion shows promise and I can see this being a up and coming vineyard and winery of Virginia, climbing it's way to the top. I think work on their young wines will also turn into some excellent wines in the following years. I look forward to visiting this winery again once they complete the expansion and finish developing the other two wines from their own vineyard!

• Visited February 2014