“Ripoff - beware!!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #70 of 170 Restaurants in Leesburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MacDowell-Brew-Kitchen/165330130205892
Leesburg, Virginia
“Ripoff - beware!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Check out the recent one-star Yelp reviews.

This place has gone to the pits.

Last time I went, my order never came, even though I had already paid (mistake on my part). The staff completely ignored me, after taking my order initially. I had things to do, so I just left - vowing to never return.

Lesson-learned. Never, ever, ever pay first - and never give the waitress your credit card there, without looking at the bill first. Even before this most recent experience, she tried charging me for things that I didn't even order.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Alexandria, Virginia
“A few fries with your grease?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We happened to drive to Leesburg today to check out a new brewery but wanted a bite to eat beforehand. MacDowell was nearby and the beachy outdoor bar area looked inviting.

We got a seat at the bar and ordered some beer while looking over the food menu. All of the appetizers are fried but the buffalo wings sounded tempting. I wanted something else and asked the bartender if the fries or the onion rings were better. He suggested we try the Sexy Fries over the regular fries or the onion rings saying they were hands down his favorite.The description says they are "hand cut with garlic and Parmesan."

The fries arrived and they looked like they'd been soaking in grease. Upon closer inspection, they were indeed soaking in a puddle of oil. The bottom of the basket had so much oil that we used napkins to blot it up. However, it was too late for the fries. I picked up one fry and squeezed it in a napkin and watched as grease dripped into the basket. There was nothing sexy about these "Sexy Fries"

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“Good stop for lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Good selection of beers, and staff was friendly. We had lunch there, sitting at the bar. The food was good - though not many options for vegetarians.

Visited May 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Come for the beer, stay for the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I came here because I had heard good things about it. The service was a bit slow but they were packed full, so it wasn't unreasonable. The outdoor seating was full, so we had to sit inside -- we will definitely go back with friends and try to get a table outside.

We both chose from their long beer list and shared the moz sticks. My husband had cordon bleu and I had a panini with salad. Mine was just okay, pretty skimpy on the filling, but the chicken was a good size. The prices were fair by any standards, but great for Leesburg. We will return, but I'll get something else on the menu.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Herndon, Virginia, United States
“Love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have been there several times and think MacDowell's is doing it right. They don't try to be trendy, they don't offer food that doesn't make sense at a place with a two-sided beer list. The staff is friendly, and the atmosphere is great. And I think the food is a great compliment to the beer list. I live 2 miles from Lost Rhino in Ashburn, but I'll happily drive 30 minutes to go to MacDowell's. If you want a place that has a warm feel to it, great beers and good food, then head to MacDowell's.

• Visited April 2013