“Try Before Purchasing Groupon Deal” 3 of 5 stars

Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Route 15
Description: The art of cooking with wood enhances the Ironwood Tavern"s experience with bold flavors simply not found with alternative cooking methods. Executive Chef Luis incorporates the seasonal offerings such as beef, pork, poultry, seafood and fresh produce from small local farms and purveyors for our cuisine. Craft beer is our focus and our passion. All of our 24 craft beers on draft reflect a personal vision. Our craft beer list is different, intriguing, and constantly evolving, like the world of craft beer itself. A menu that features styles from all over the world, but is predominantly American and local in focus. Our craft beer experts works with chef Luis to develop the menus, and that the pair sometimes start with the beer and work backwards to the food from there.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Try Before Purchasing Groupon Deal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I found a deal on Groupon for this restaurant and decided to check it out before purchasing the deal. I arrived between 5:30 and 6:30 pm on Black Friday. There weren't many patrons, however, they had stay ready, in anticipation of more guests. Most folks were at the bar and that's where I sat. The service was quick and friendly.

The restaurant is big and the bar area is large. There are a lot of televisions at the bar. They can handle large parties.

I believe there are 22 craft beers on tap. That's heaven for a beer drinker. I had tried quite a lot of the beers and didn't know what to try. One of the bartenders gave me sample his favorite. While I did not like the beer,it was a good customer service gesture. There is a pretty good wine list.

It was $5.00 happy hour, so I ordered two appetizers. There are two sauces for the wings. I got half mahogany glaze and IPA volcano. The glaze was better, but just bar wings. I also got the chicken quesadilla. They were eatable, nothing that stood them apart from any other chicken quesadilla.

I ordered a premium margarita that was priced at $12.00 and I believe $2.00 off during happy hour. I was charged $12.50. I told he bartender and he immediately made the correction.

I think it is worth the try for 52% off.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Ashburn, Virginia
“Needs work”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

So, made a reservation for a Friday evening-- arrived on time to encounter an unsmiling/unfriendly
host-- we were seated at a table next to the entry-- constant opening and closing of the door created a wind shear across our table-- the young lady serving us was very pleasant, but was a little absent minded-- forgot water and silverware-- had to ask twice for water, and was forced to go to the bar for the silverware--- had a great flatbread with grilled chicken, pesto, micro greens-- Caesar salad was too lightly dressed,and flavorless-- my wife orderd a Jambalaya pasta that was Pepper hot, but not spicy-- filet mignon was ok, asked for medium rare, received a solid medium-- "roasted garlic mash potatoes" tasted like instant potatoes with no roasted garlic flavor-- perfectly grilled asparagus--- very limited wine list with improper wine glasses----- is more of a micro beer tavern-- tried a sampler flight of beers stating a dislike for hoppy beers--- received hoppy beers--
Has potential but needs work--

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Frederick, Maryland
“Not kid friendly”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

An off and on visitor in the past who has enjoyed the menu and mix of craft beers, tonight's experience, and the lack of employee response, has convinced me to NEVER RETURN. I do not believe that a loud sexually explicit conversation in a child-friendly restaurant should be ignored and even actually encouraged by the bartender. And this was before 6 o'clock on this Sunday evening. When I challenged this activity, I got told that "this is a bar" and they would do what they wished and be as loud as they wanted. I normally would not say anything but had noticed the arrival of a couple with a small girl. Any further attempts would have proven worthless so I paid my bill and mentioned it to the hostess on my way out.

That leaves a question for management. Do you want to be just a bar? If so, please place an age restriction sign on the door and old folks like me and couples with children will know to go somewhere else.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ironwoodtavern, Owner at Ironwood Tavern, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
I’m terribly sorry to hear about your experience at our restaurant! I’m am bringing this to the attention of my staff. We’d like to make this right, please contact me at sam@ironwoodtavern.com.
Columbus, Ohio
“Save your money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Why bother? You can go to Lone Star, TGIFriday or anywhere and still get same stolen atmosphere with better tasting food and better pricing.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Leesburg, Virginia
“Wood Grilled Food + Chilled Craft Drafts =”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

An Exceptionally Tasty Meal!! Makes my mouth water thinking about their delicious, hickory wood grilled offerings, sauced nicely, and served with an impressive array of local & regional craft draft beers.

We've had several of their menu offerings and nightly specials, the usual burgers & steaks, but my two complete favorites are:
Their Wood Grilled flatiron steak, sauced light & tasty, and served with grilled asparagus and garlic mashed. Very impressive for fourteen-bucks!
My other fave is their wood-grilled vegetable sandwich!! Marinated portobello and squashes, wood grilled, then served with caramelized onions and herbed goat cheese on toasted ciabatta bread. The wood flavor infused in their vegetables is fantastic!!

We always eat inside, and the bar is usually busy enough. Decor is average. Booth seating is very comfortable, and they face large screens that way so you can catch the match if you want. Their craft draft scene rotates, so there's always a pleasant new offering. Their beer menu is GREAT - offering tasting notes for each brew - always a good thing for folks who are new to the Craft scene!

They've recently added "outdoor seating", but seriously I can't imagine sitting there unless I was accommodating a pet or smoker. I would LOVE for them to have a superior outdoor dining location, but given their location, without a lot of expense chunking up asphalt and doing a lot of hardscape and planting, I can't see that in the future. But I will continue to hope!!

Occasionally the service is spotty, but then occasionally the service is terrific. We always are able to get what we want - the food is WORTH IT. Check their website or FB page for specials.
We live locally, but the restaurant is right on the main road, so it's an easy in & out if you're travelling. Enjoy!!!

• Visited August 2013