“Delightful and delicious” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Salem, Massachusetts
“Delightful and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is my type of restaurant: small, charming, clean, comfortable, and welcoming. So welcoming, in fact, that the owner greets you at the door and brings you to your table.

We went on a Monday night (thrilled to even find a restaurant open) and had the place to ourselves. The owner was attentive but not overly so. We ordered from the speciality board, which the owner reviewed with us, and no one was disappointed with their choices. The escargot was perfectly prepared, and the paella was perfect and brimming with seafood. The mushroom pizza (made for our youngest) was expertly made and larger than she could eat in three sittings. The chicken with prunes was tender and the beef tagine was very tasty. There were some frozen/steamed vegetables in with fresh, but they were prepared well enough.

The only issue I would want to make sure I share is that the prices at La Lou are not cheap. Expect to pay in the $30 - $35 range for a main entree.

We brought our children (8 and 12), but they enjoy this type of food and environment. With its fireplace, narrow spaces, tablecloths and candles, and fragile decor items, I do not necessarily recommend this restaurant for toddlers or little ones in the squirmy stages.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Virginia
“Charming Find in Leesburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Last night our family of six adults had dinner at La Lou! Our children have eaten here often, but this was our first visit. I was impressed by the friendliness of the staff and service! Our meals were outstanding...lamb shanks, steaks, and lobster ravioli, as well as the appetizers, and desserts. The wine list is average and twice retail...typical for a restaurant. We will return soon for the wonderful food, atmosphere, and service.

• Visited February 2013
Hamilton, Virginia, United States
“If you like Miami/Spanish flavors you will love La Lou Bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I've had several meals at La Lou Bistro and every time it is an adventure in eating well. Flavors or Spain and perhaps Miami blend to transport me to those wonderful places. Go and you will be in love with the meals and perfect wines to match the menu. Family owned and run. Ask questions about the menu and listen as the chef tells you why this will be a beautiful experience for your palate. On a cold night ask to be next to the cozy fireplace. Brilliant, satisfying dining experience.

• Visited February 2013
Leesburg, Virginia
“Great Brunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I really like this place. The owners are always there and the paella is awesome! I also love the service there and it always smells so great in there.

Visited March 2012
Virginia
“Disappointing Second Visit”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Our food and service was fabulous on our first visit. I loved it so much I brought a friend to the restaurant as repayment for a favor. It was the regular chef's night out and yet the $34.00 dish of paella was still listed as the house special. Big mistake. It was so over-cooked. The rice was mushy and the fish was tough. When I told our waiter that the dish was over-done he just shrugged and said that it was his dad's night off (his dad is the chef). He made no attempt to compensate me. I know that my friend won't return and I will only go back when the "real" chef is in the kitchen.

• Visited July 2012