“Fantastic dinner!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
“Fantastic dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Had our first dinner here last evening, based in large part on the TA ratings. What a great place! Our waiter (whom I'm certain is also an owner) was charming, and very obviously is quite proud of his restaurant. We stuck with the specials board, since he was so enthusiastic in promoting them. Moroccan wedding soup to start, delicious. Seafood spring rolls as an appetizer, wonderful. Dinner was the Moroccan steak for me (very fresh ingredients, delightfully seasoned) and tuna kabob for my wife. Both dishes were incredibly tasty, with generous portions. For dessert we just let him bring what he thought would be good, and he did well with slices of cake and espresso coffee. Interesting and unique menu, fun decor, and charming waitstaff. Non inexpensive, but good things usually aren't.

Charlotte, NC
“Highly recommended boutique restaurant in Downtown Leesburg, VA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Had dinner at La Lou while on a business trip. I was extremely impressed by the wait staff. They were friendly and they knew the menu inside out. The food was very tasty. You can tell that they use fresh ingredients. It was the perfect blend of Mediterranean and American. The prices were very reasonable and the atmosphere was great. I would definitely eat there again when I am in Leesburg.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Memphis, Tennessee
“A Nice Surprise in Downtown Leesburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

A very nice finish to a day of wine-tasting in the surrounding area. La Lou's Mediterranean menu ranges from kebabs to paella and includes a little bit of everything in-between. The house salad and the Caesar were both excellent but the gazpacho was actually earth-shattering. My wife's lamb kebab was perfect but my grilled-flounder entree was a bit off. The fish was topped with crab but had no texture. I couldn't tell where the soft crab left off and the firm fish began because the fish wasn't firm. Tasty, but not executed as well as it should have been. Also, there were no Virginia wines on the wine list. There are dozens of wineries within a few miles of downtown Leesburg and I'm sure many people land at La Lou Bistro after spending a day at them, like we did. Why an upscale restaurant in the middle of wine country would not want to support the local wineries is beyond me. Still, La Lou Bistro was a good experience overall. I'd go back just for the gazpacho. I almost had it for dessert.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
herndon, virginia
“Cozy, Charming, Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

From start to finish every point was very nice. Excellent service, intimate atmosphere, good wine, and ah, the food...

Perfect for a memorable meal with a close friend; to get lost and forget about life for awhile.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Ho-hum for La Lou”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

This was my first visit to La Lou, although it had been on my "Places to Eat" list for quite a while. I joined a friend for lunch and sampled a salad, which was good, but not outstanding for the price. The service was underwhelming. When I first arrived, I was unsure as to whether I should wait by the door to be seated, or go to the counter and ask. (I had made reservations ahead of time.) I ended up standing awkwardly for several moments, ignored by the staff. (And there were only 2 other groups dining!)

Then, after I was seated, and my friend arrived, the waiter came to go through our lunch options. And he never made eye contact with me. Not even once. It was bizarre.

While the decor is cute and the food decent, I'm not inclined to return, despite its convenient downtown location.

• Visited May 2012