“A Nice Surprise in Downtown Leesburg” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Memphis, Tennessee
“A Nice Surprise in Downtown Leesburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

A very nice finish to a day of wine-tasting in the surrounding area. La Lou's Mediterranean menu ranges from kebabs to paella and includes a little bit of everything in-between. The house salad and the Caesar were both excellent but the gazpacho was actually earth-shattering. My wife's lamb kebab was perfect but my grilled-flounder entree was a bit off. The fish was topped with crab but had no texture. I couldn't tell where the soft crab left off and the firm fish began because the fish wasn't firm. Tasty, but not executed as well as it should have been. Also, there were no Virginia wines on the wine list. There are dozens of wineries within a few miles of downtown Leesburg and I'm sure many people land at La Lou Bistro after spending a day at them, like we did. Why an upscale restaurant in the middle of wine country would not want to support the local wineries is beyond me. Still, La Lou Bistro was a good experience overall. I'd go back just for the gazpacho. I almost had it for dessert.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
herndon, virginia
“Cozy, Charming, Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

From start to finish every point was very nice. Excellent service, intimate atmosphere, good wine, and ah, the food...

Perfect for a memorable meal with a close friend; to get lost and forget about life for awhile.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Ho-hum for La Lou”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

This was my first visit to La Lou, although it had been on my "Places to Eat" list for quite a while. I joined a friend for lunch and sampled a salad, which was good, but not outstanding for the price. The service was underwhelming. When I first arrived, I was unsure as to whether I should wait by the door to be seated, or go to the counter and ask. (I had made reservations ahead of time.) I ended up standing awkwardly for several moments, ignored by the staff. (And there were only 2 other groups dining!)

Then, after I was seated, and my friend arrived, the waiter came to go through our lunch options. And he never made eye contact with me. Not even once. It was bizarre.

While the decor is cute and the food decent, I'm not inclined to return, despite its convenient downtown location.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Paris, PA
“Nice Decor, but Creepy Waiter/Owner”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We visited the La Lou Bistro this past week. The food was okay, but do not feel worth the price. Clean. Nice Decor. We had been looking at the menu outside when a staff member came out trying to usher us in. While we appreciate his dedication to improving his business, it was somewhat odd. Then once inside he went over the menu with us again odd (actually the best word used to describe it would be creepy). Service was prompt.I would not return.

Visited May 2012
Hamilton, Virginia
“Another great meal with friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Stopped in here on a Saturday evening after visiting a local winery. The food impresses me every time. The Tuna Kabob was delicious as were all of the other items that were presented to our table. Would definitely return - still pricey, but worth it for a special night.

• Visited May 2012