“Pricey, but delicious!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Hamilton, Virginia
“Pricey, but delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

Driving by this place last night & looked in & decided not to go there because it was virtually empty. So, we parked & walked around the corner, stopping anyway to glance at the menu when Mohamed came out the Tally Ho door & encouraged my husband & I to come in, "everything is delicious", he said, which I read off of other reviews before we went there anyway. So, we did. A few tables filled up shortly after ours, so we were not the only ones in the restaurant.

We started with the Crab stuffed avocado which was delicious. My husband had the Maryland Shrimp which was also amazing! Very heavy on the garlic, but SO good. We both ordered off the "Special" (read: expensive) Valentine Menu for our entrees.

He ordered the Osso Bucco, which was a huge portion, accompanied by asparagus, mushroom risotto, spinach, and a sauteed vegetable medley. I tried all of his veggies & the risotto, which were yummy - he wouldn't let me get my hands on the lamb. I ordered the Tuna Skewers, which was also a great choice, accompanied by a vegetable medley.

For dessert, we were talked into the "special" Valentine dessert, which was a heart shaped 3 layer mousse type cake thing. It was presented well, although a bit risque looking, but delicious.

I would go back, definitely. The only reason for the 4 stars & not 5 is the price. I am not crazy about "Special Holiday" menus, that is the reason I do not go out on Valentine's Day. So, I was a little turned off by the fact that the restaurant was extending Valentine's Day longer...

• Visited February 2012

91% Recommend
Northern Virginnie
“Attentive service, wonderful menu and delicious food - what more could one want?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

La Lou is located in the same building as the Tally Ho Theatre in downtown Leesburg. Parking is conveniently located in the adjacent parking garage and they validate for customers.
Yesterday, my girlfriends and I went here for lunch and were pleasantly surprised by the warmth of the decor, charming personality of the owner, offerings on the menu, freshness, and wonderful flavor of the food! I couldn't believe I had not eaten here sooner.
We ordered the amazing soup of the day - squash and apple - served piping hot, the way soup should be served - it was not thick or heavy, but perfect as an appetizer. One of us ordered a luncheon salad with feta, another ordered the chunks of lamb on pita sandwich with small salad, I ordered the salmon BLT on ciabiatta, and the last ordered a margherita pizza. All were total yums - and the pizza is definitely large enough to be shared easily.
The menu was extensive and is sure to please the most reserved or adventurous diner. They even had merguez - a lamb/beef sausage prepared in a dish I think I may need to try. Our lunch was finished off with a delicious shared grand marnier bread pudding - a portion needing sharing!
We arrived on a weekday afternoon after 1 p.m. when the weather was a mix of snow/sleet and the restaurant was quiet. I highly doubt that will be the case much longer - no matter the weather!
You can already guess, I will be returning, with my husband, soon!

• Visited February 2012
Washington D.C.
“Reliably Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

We have eaten at La Lou quite a few times in the last several years and, overall, they get a very good rating from me. There have been a couple of meals (or parts thereof) that were a little on the "meh" side, and some that have been on the fantastic side. My advice is to try something that is on the specials board or something that is more mediterranean as the chef is from Morocco (I think) and the items we have tried with that slant have always been the best. If they are offering hummus, get it, it's great. We also have had our best meals at Sunday brunch here, the Eggs Chesapeake is yummy as is the fresh fruit plate. They have probably the nicest option for outdoor seating in Leesburg when the weather is warm.

If you are trying to go on a weekend night for dinner it's best to make a reservation, the restaurant is very small and fills up quickly. Ambience is very nice and the chef always comes out to greet the patrons. Service is always very good. My only consistent bone to pick with the place is the desserts. Between creme brulee that is too thin and thus separates when the sugar crust is broiled and a couple of cakes that are purchased and just good if not very impressive, it's just not the big bang finale to a nice dinner that I would like. However, I understand that many chefs don't focus on dessert and that La Lou also has a very small kitchen which limits their prep space for in-house dessert.

They have high chairs available and they are certainly not child-unfriendly, though this is probably a more grown-up place. Restrooms are shared with the movie theater next door.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Chic little bistro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012 via mobile

The food was good! The service was average but the ambiance was nice and the chef came out to greet us which is always a nice and appreciated gesture.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Waterford, VA
“Fabulous little spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We love La Lou! It is family-owned and it shows - in the best sense. The owner is very attentive, courteous and caring. You can tell he really wants to make each diner happy with his selection. We live in the area and have been several times per year since it opened. We have never had a bad meal - always very delicious! One of my favorites is the salad with avocado & tomato - mmmmm! Each dish is prepared to order, yet they manage to get the items out to the table in the perfect timing. You never feel rushed, yet you never find yourself waiting for the next course. It's a small restaurant (guess that's why it's called "bistro"), but lively enough that you don't feel you have to whisper. Decor is elegant, charming and cozy. A fairly large menu for such a small restaurant. Kids can get pizza or pasta while adults can choose more gourmet selections. There is always a special. Wine is excellent. And the price is decent for the amount & quality of food and level of service that you get. We went Christmas Eve and the experience added to our holiday spirit! One of our favorite Leesburg restaurants. We never tire of it! (I should also mention that I've had several luncheons here with all adults and was equally pleased.)

• Visited December 2011