“Great concept but food not up to par” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cajun Experience, Leesburg Va is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 175 Restaurants in Leesburg
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: www.cajunexperience.biz
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great concept but food not up to par”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Tried it three times, once when they first opened and twice later. I love Cajun food, but thus doesn't cut it. Good prices, good atmosphere, good beer, but blah food.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Brandy Station, Virginia
“Great Cajun food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I had catfish and the Mrs had shrimp maque choux. Both were just delicious and reasonably priced. Who would guess that Leesburg would have such good authentic Cajun food.

Point of Rocks, MD
“A nice surprise on our walk.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were out shopping and found this nice restaurant. We enjoyed the Cajun Mix (Jumbalaya and étouffée) with a cup of wonderful seafood gumbo. The beignets were great. Next time we will try eating outside in the back for more atmosphere.

“Hidden gem in Leesburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We found this place by purchasing a Groupon, and I'm so glad we did! Having been to New Orleans, we've had the real thing and the food here was JUST as delicious. The staff was very nice, and the owner chatted with us as well (he's from LA). The grilled oysters are a MUST try. I have only ever liked oysters from one other restaurant (in NOLA), but these were just as good. For me to go back for more than 1 is saying something. The entrees were also delicious (crawfish etoufee` and a cajun sampler). And a cajun meal is not complete without a beignet! We did not sample the alcohol but they had a nice selection. I hear reservations are a must on weekends, and they have an impressive menu for a Sunday Brunch. A must try if you like cajun food!

To give you an idea of the prices, the oysters were $1.50 ea ($18 for a dozen), entrees were $12-$25, and dessert was about $5. A little on the pricey side (but I had a groupon!). They did say they probably won't offer the groupons again.

We will be back regardless of the prices...with friends next time. I also hear they are expanding their patio.

• Visited March 2013
Ashburn, Virginia
“Finally!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

So happy to find a restaurant in the area that has authentic Cajun food! I've lived in the area for 25+ years, after moving here from New Orleans, and have been looking for authentic Cajun food ever since! I found this restaurant through Groupon, and we had no problem using my voucher. We dined on a Monday holiday, so there was no issue with parking, but in general you do need to be careful as to where you park. There is a public garage just down the street.

Our party consisted of four adults and a baby and at first there was a bit of confusion as to where to seat us. We went upstairs and ended up having our own private dining room! The restaurant is in what was a house, so there are a lot of rooms. You must be careful going up the stairs as the ceiling is quite low and you could hit your head. We were seated at a large dining room table and it was the only table in the room, which was quite nice. Bryan, the manager, waited on us, and he couldn't have been friendlier. We had a couple of nice conversations, as we had our home state in common since he too is from Louisiana.

He apologized that they were out of a couple food items, including the seafood gumbo and fried okra. He said they had been crazy busy the past few days and were running out of food! There were so many good things on the menu it was hard to decide what to get. We shared a cup of the crawfish mac & cheese. It was quite tasty and had some nice size chunks of crawfish in it, and plenty of cheese. My husband had a cup of the chicken and sausage gumbo since they were out of the seafood gumbo. He said it tasted fine, but he just prefers a thicker roux. He had the red beans and rice for his entree, which he said was very good. I, and the other two adults in our party, had the "crawfish half & half". This is a large plate/platter of crawfish etouffee, served over white rice, and fried crawfish tails. Both were wonderful! There were also two fritters and a piece of bread on the plate. The crawfish dinners also came with two beignets for dessert. The beignets are "Cafe du Monde" beignets, and I am loyal to Morning Call. (If you are from New Orleans, you understand this.) I was stuffed by the time I got to the beignets and since they were a bit "heavier" than what I like, I ended up giving them to my husband.

Since it was Monday, the special of the day was red beans and rice. This is a New Orleans tradition. The special also included two pork chops and beignets. The restaurant carries a variety of Abita beer.

Bryan was patient with us, as it took a while for us to decide what we wanted and he had to bring everything up the stairs! The recipes are kept "simple" and true to Cajun standards! You know you've found the real deal when "The Trinity" is mentioned on the menu! If you want white linen tablecloths, this is not the place for you, however if you want great food, this is the place!

We will certainly be back.

• Visited February 2013