“Perfect for families!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 71 things to do in Leesburg
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Perfect for families!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were out driving so the kids (age 1 and 5) would nap, and felt like stopping at a winery (when don't we?). It was a pretty quiet, chilly Sunday afternoon, and the very nice server told us we were welcome to go downstairs and hang out; there is a TV, a couple of cozy chairs, some tables, a microwave (for heating water for formula), and floor space for the baby to crawl around. And, of course, some wine, cheese, and crackers. And, they gave the kids each a toy (not a cheap plastic one either). It was just perfect for our needs, and my son is asking when we can go back!

Although the landscape is under construction, I think it will be really nice when it's done, and I would love to come back on a warmer day and wander around. Even now, there is a huge deck overlooking the pond, and a little dock onto a gazebo on the pond (incidentally, safely fenced in for the purposes of baby crawling along). Seriously, for those with a crawling baby, when it is always difficult to find safe and reasonably clean places to wiggle around, this is the perfect winery.

And, the wine is great! I usually don't like ALL the wines at any winery, but I did here! I don't usually like Chardonnay as much as other whites, but I did this one. And the peppery Batucada Cab Sauv, my husband says, is his favorite wine ever. Only the dessert wine was a bit too sweet for more than a few sips for us (but most are).

They offer a military discount, too. Even though the bottles were quite a bit more than we usually pay (running $17-24; we're CHEAP wine drinkers!), we got a case because we wanted to support this winery. It's family-run too, which is nice. We will probably go back, even though it's an hour from home! (Gas to get the kids to sleep so we can talk is cheaper than a babysitter!)

Visited November 2012

Providence, Rhode Island
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“What a nice place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This small, relatively new vineyard is a great place! Aside from beautiful, the staff is friendly and inviting and the wine is very good! Five tastings for $5. Katie, a daughter of the owner, is the wine maker. Not only is she vastly knowledgeable of their wines, she knows many ways to cook with the wine! Our visit to this small, quaint winery was indeed a joy! They have live music on the patio and a fire pit. We can't wait to visit again next year!

Visited October 2012
Leesburg, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Good Wine, Great Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I've been to Casanel only a few times because it's a bit hidden... a bit of a drive from the more urban atmosphere that I currently reside in. But every time my husband and I go, we remember why we should really go out of our way more often to visit. The owner, Nelson, is truly a great guy-- he struck up a conversation with my husband and I at our table about how great America is (and he claims that he is American by choice and Brazilian by birth. His wife, Casey, was working at the tasting bar and offered some great stories about the roots of the vineyards. Their daughters also help out with the winery-- it's a great family business. For $5.00, you get a full menu tasting with pretty decent size servings for a tasting... and you get a little background about each wine. With that in mind, the wine is great... I personally have a sweet tooth, and their late harvest wine, Dolce, is my favorite. This past Saturday, my husband and I went to Casanel to celebrate their "4th birthday" with a picnic basket in hand, bought a bottle of the Dolce, and sat on the patio listening to the live entertainment. AND they offered free "adult cupcakes" and "cake" in celebration. Pets are welcome, picnics are welcome, kids are welcome... it's truly, one of the best wineries in NOVA with a laid back, family-oriented atmosphere. We'll be coming back MUCH more often.

Visited October 2012
Apex, North Carolina
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Nice Little Vineyard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

It was a small vineyard and it looks like they are trying to make it better. It was only $5 for tasting about 5 wines which I thought were good.

Visited September 2012
Fairfax, Virginia
“A wonderful way to experience another aspect of Virginia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Casanel Vineyards is a family owned vineyard in a beautiful, spacious, rural setting in Loudon County, VA. Our welcome by the wife and daughters of the family was genuine, friendly and relaxed. The discussion of the wines was as sophisticated and knowledgeable or as simple and basic as our experience allowed. All our questions were answered to our satisfaction. We enjoyed almost all of the wines we tasted; (I'm not a fan of sweet dessert wines).The Mas Que Nada Viognier '09 was especially pleasing, as was the Batucada Merlot '08. Go and enjoy yourself. Mick W..

Visited September 2012