“What a nice place!” 5 of 5 stars

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“What a nice place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This small, relatively new vineyard is a great place! Aside from beautiful, the staff is friendly and inviting and the wine is very good! Five tastings for $5. Katie, a daughter of the owner, is the wine maker. Not only is she vastly knowledgeable of their wines, she knows many ways to cook with the wine! Our visit to this small, quaint winery was indeed a joy! They have live music on the patio and a fire pit. We can't wait to visit again next year!

Visited October 2012

Leesburg, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Good Wine, Great Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I've been to Casanel only a few times because it's a bit hidden... a bit of a drive from the more urban atmosphere that I currently reside in. But every time my husband and I go, we remember why we should really go out of our way more often to visit. The owner, Nelson, is truly a great guy-- he struck up a conversation with my husband and I at our table about how great America is (and he claims that he is American by choice and Brazilian by birth. His wife, Casey, was working at the tasting bar and offered some great stories about the roots of the vineyards. Their daughters also help out with the winery-- it's a great family business. For $5.00, you get a full menu tasting with pretty decent size servings for a tasting... and you get a little background about each wine. With that in mind, the wine is great... I personally have a sweet tooth, and their late harvest wine, Dolce, is my favorite. This past Saturday, my husband and I went to Casanel to celebrate their "4th birthday" with a picnic basket in hand, bought a bottle of the Dolce, and sat on the patio listening to the live entertainment. AND they offered free "adult cupcakes" and "cake" in celebration. Pets are welcome, picnics are welcome, kids are welcome... it's truly, one of the best wineries in NOVA with a laid back, family-oriented atmosphere. We'll be coming back MUCH more often.

Visited October 2012
Apex, North Carolina
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Nice Little Vineyard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

It was a small vineyard and it looks like they are trying to make it better. It was only $5 for tasting about 5 wines which I thought were good.

Visited September 2012
Fairfax, Virginia
“A wonderful way to experience another aspect of Virginia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Casanel Vineyards is a family owned vineyard in a beautiful, spacious, rural setting in Loudon County, VA. Our welcome by the wife and daughters of the family was genuine, friendly and relaxed. The discussion of the wines was as sophisticated and knowledgeable or as simple and basic as our experience allowed. All our questions were answered to our satisfaction. We enjoyed almost all of the wines we tasted; (I'm not a fan of sweet dessert wines).The Mas Que Nada Viognier '09 was especially pleasing, as was the Batucada Merlot '08. Go and enjoy yourself. Mick W..

Visited September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Beautiful and relaxing afternoon at the vineyard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

To get to Casanel, one must drive through pisturesque Virginian suburbs and farms. Once there, you find a beautiful vineyard nestled in a peaceful and colorful valley. The family is hospitable and glad to welcome you.

We were offered a taste of the wine we wanted to try to make sure that we liked it. The selection was perfect; the glasses generously filled. They offer a variety of crackers, cheeses, salamis and other fresh snacks to accompany the wine of your choice.

You can sit in the comfortable patio under the big canopy or by the lake in the gazebo. You can also enjoy a stroll in the vast grounds, surrounded by lines of vines nicely manicured and cared for.

Overall, a great experience at any time of day.