“OK (but not great) food, grossly overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Palio of Leesburg is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 170 Restaurants in Leesburg
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: The award winning Palio Ristorante Italiano is a combination of three of the premier historic buildings in downtown Leesburg, Virginia. Palio provides Leesburg's newest venue for dining, entertaining, and banquet facilities. Palio has designed and built an establishment like no other in the Washington area, utilizing unique combinations of cherry wood, onyx, and antique mirrors and chandeliers. The design has been meticulously configured into the existing space in these historic buildings. The theme of the Palio derives from the ancient horse race -beautiful and bold, risky and exciting, a feast for the eyes as well as the senses. Good music, a fine wine selection, house made pasta and bread prepared on site, and sourcing from local producers, can only be described as a beautiful experience- all presented in an historic setting that would be as comfortable in Italy as it is in Loudoun County.
Southport, North Carolina
“OK (but not great) food, grossly overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We returned to Leesburg to visit our old neighbors who decided that we should start our evening dining at Palio's. Our party of ten received a friendly greeting from the waitress who did a good job of describing the "specials" but did not mention prices. Shame on us for not asking!
My "special" stuffed pork chop was $32 and at that price, when asked if I'd like a side salad, I assumed wrongly that it would be included. It was another $8 for a Caesar salad that was nothing more than some pieces of romaine, shaved cheese and a weakly flavored dressing without any hint of anchovie paste.
My wife ordered the lobster ravioli which was priced in line with the rest of the menu at $25. However, again, her side salad was another $7 and then her food was delivered just warm enough to eat.
She also ordered a dessert, the Crema due Gusti, which was an assemblage of pudding and creme. Looked good but, about half way through it, my wife comments that it was "absolutely tasteless". At $10, clearly the chef was prouder of this dessert than my wife was!
I had a couple of draft beers and my wife just drank tap water. Our total bill including tip was just shy of $120 for what can be best described as a mediocre dining experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Leesburg, Virginia
“Beware of being deliberately misled”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Beware of being deliberately misled - we went there with friends for lunch and was presented with specials that we assumed would be in line with the other lunch prices - reasonable assumption. One plate was $32, the other $28. THE WAITER SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THE PRICES.

Furthermore, we paid dinner prices for lunch portions. The $32 plate was for ravioli -- and maybe there were five small raviolis. The food was average quality.

The service was shockingly poor given the small crowd.

This is the second time we have been there -- not going back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Northern Virginia
“So much potential for so long; execution is abysmal.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

ANOTHER management team? We support local restaurants and we try and try and try to support Palios and Michael. This beautifully appointed restaurant needs continuity in management and service. With good management, service would follow. Great chef but all overshadowed by disorganized, amateur service. This is supposed to be fine dining. Both service and food have to be exceptional for that moniker. Hire some pros, tell them to smile and make friends with the community. Teach them and train the staff, then execute every day every hour like a fine dining restaurant must do to succeed. We are still trying, Michael but at some point enough will be enough.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Leesburg, Virginia
“The Grinch that overcharges for Christmas”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Customer service is terrible... we had reservations for Christmas Eve and then they called to confirm my reservation last weekend... they were acually confirming that they were going to screw me over. The advised that the chef had decided to go with a set 5 course menu with the price of $100 dollar per person. When I initially made the reservation I confrimed that they were having their standard menu, whick I new was on the high $$$ side. But holy crap I have a family of four with two kids which would cost me 400-500 for one dinner. So we definelty could not afford that. All this and now I need to find another place with short notice. The manager was very rude and just kept telling me it was my misunderstatnding instead of just admitting they greedy SOB's and wanted to change the terms of our reservations. We must not be their type of customers ... nor will we be in the future

Leesburg, Virginia
“Excellent food, good service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We've been twice to this hidden gem in Leesburg and have had fantastic experience on both occasions. Just off the main street of Leesburg, Palio may not look like much from the outside but once you are upstairs it is considerably bigger than I thought it was. The wine list is good (not great) for an Italian restaurant and you will find something appealing. The food was very good and very authentic Italian.

• Visited September 2012