“Hotel? Or Cold War Era Bunker?” 1 of 5 stars

You added The National Conference Center to your Saves list
The National Conference Center
18980 Upper Belmont Place, Leesburg, VA 20176   |
san francisco, ca
“Hotel? Or Cold War Era Bunker?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

This place should not be a hotel. I'm not sure what government contracting relationship resulted in this place being used as one, but it's ridiculous. I was shocked to see that the room charges were so high: $175/night. It feels like a soviet era bunker, the cement hallways smell of industrial cleaner, the rooms feel like punishment, and the food is inedible/industrial. The staff seem to be loitering..Shameful excuse for a conference facility.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
NCCmeet, General Manager at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review of the National Conference Center. I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us was an unpleasant one. Because, the overall guest experience is our top priority, we appreciate you making us aware of your concerns.

In your review, you mentioned the guest rooms and dining options at NCC. NCC is a distraction-free environment to ensure that guests are getting the most out of their learning experience and our guest rooms are designed to encourage guests to explore common areas. I would also like to let you know that we will be updating our dining facility by 2015. Please feel free to contact me at sales@conferencecenter.com should you have any additional concerns.

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

This place is awful. It feels like sleepaway camp. I was forced to stay here for a grant review session and would never come back. The rooms feel like cramped dorm rooms.
The food is served cafeteria style and the hallway leading up to the "dining room" smells like bad industrial cooking.
No frills - there is barely enough shampoo.Once you find that you are out of toiletries, there is no where to re-stock. The gift shop has been closed for years and you are completely secluded in this location.
To top off the stay, the building(s) is a maze and so you can waste time just walking in circles while you are here.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms and the wifi doesnt work too well.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
NCCmeet, General Manager at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, September 11, 2014
Hello,

Thank you so much for your review of the National Conference Center. The National Conference Center is a distraction-free environment to ensure that guests are getting the most out of their learning experience.

I am very sorry to hear that you had a difficult time finding your way during your stay at NCC. I would like to let you know that we are currently in the process of upgrading the signage at NCC. This improvement will make it easier to navigate throughout the property and should be completed by 2015.

In your review, you also mentioned that you had some difficulty re-stocking toiletries and the dining facility at NCC. Additional toiletries are available at the front desk. The NCC bus service is also available to take guests to local malls and shopping centers. I would also like to let you know that we will be updating our dining facility later this year.

indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Very "interesting" place... My "assigned" room is eerily similar to my living quarters when I was stationed in Fort Gordon, Georgia (Army). All the cement, steel, colors, and government-issued-type chairs truthfully leave me a little tense... Seems most of the other guests are either in the military or red hat ladies. I luckily arrived prior to the cafeteria (seems weird saying) closing... This is pretty much the only place to eat, unless you want bar food in the 70-80's era bar. It's been several years since I last cleaned my own tray after eating my government issued beef, cheese, and vegetables, which like when in the Army, are honestly of a pretty good quality..

Like when I lived on base, things are very clean, secure and "dress-right-dress". Cable is fuzzy and the heat and AC seems to have a mind of their own. I'm left trying to think of a way out of my 2 remaining days here, if even traveling to a local restaurant, shop, or store. Unfortunately, this trip would require a taxi as the center is a city in itself; I'm told a taxi requires 2 hours notice for retrieval anyway. Appreciate many of you do not have a choice when staying here. I'm here for a grant review, and for my part, I will ensure my host knows I will not be volunteering with them again if our collective session occurs at National Conference Center.

Finally thoughts: the wireless internet works surprisingly well considered the centers bunker-like construction. Additionally, it would be a great injustice if the IRS didn't have to perform all their collective meetings here for the next decade; GSA too!

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review The National Conference Center. I am very sorry that you had an unpleasant experience during your stay with us.

In your review, you mentioned the heating / air conditioning and cable TV in your room. As a green meeting facility, guestrooms and meeting rooms at NCC feature sensors that track periods of inactivity so the HVAC will not run when guests are not in the room. I will have our maintenance team look into any sensors that may be malfunctioning, as well as any cable TV issues.

I would also like to let you know that we recently upgraded and increased bandwidth to 145 meg of high speed internet service. So, I am pleased to hear that you were able to access the internet with ease during your stay.
Please contact me at sales@conferencecenter.com if you have any additional concerns or questions.

Allentown
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was my third stay at the National Conference Center, and I still cannot manage to navigate it without great difficulty - even WHILE holding a map. I was interested to find out the history of this design during my most recent stay. Apparently the architect was not an idiot. He chose to design this building according to the model of "brutalist architecture" which sports features such a unfinished concrete walls and ceilings and is purposely impossible to navigate without help. The building was designed to promote team-building from the start, making it, in the architect's opinion, the perfect conference center. I might disagree...

In terms of accommodations, however, the meeting rooms are plentiful and the guests rooms are surprisingly comfortable! The building in general is VERY cold, so bring a sweater, but staying there is never an unpleasant experience once you learn to accept the fact that you will get lost.

Room Tip: The yellow section of the North building is going to be easiest to find. Level 3 is ground level, s...
Hello,

Thank you so much for your review of The National Conference Center. We are very glad that you enjoyed the accommodations at NCC.

In your review, you also mentioned that you had a little trouble navigating the facility. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. But, we would like to thank you for taking the time to inquire about the history and floor plan of NCC. I would like to let you know that we are currently in the process of upgrading the signage at NCC. This improvement will make it easier to navigate throughout the property and should be completed by 2015.

We hope to see you again soon!

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I think this place is the very definition of "Average." This isn't a normal hotel, so you probably aren't choosing whether or not to stay here, unless you are the one organizing your meeting/ booking the venue.This wasn't a bad place to stay for a week. It was convenient having the hotel room, meeting room and dining hall in the same building. The food was pretty good, there were always plenty of options including vegetarian and healthy options (as well as rather excellent onion rings, I highly recommend them). The building is a bit run down, it's a bit far from anything, and it certainly isn't fancy or anything, but it was certainly clean/nice enough. Overall, I thought it worked out well for a week-long conference.

Two biggest problems: It was incredibly difficult to navigate, I was always getting lost. And the fire alarm (for the whole building, not an individual room fire alarm) was having issues or something, it went off four times (false alarms) within a day and a half, including twice around 2am. (this was a rather unfortunate problem)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
NCCmeet, Director of Sales at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Hello Julia,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the National Conference Center. I would like to let you know that the fire alarm issue has been resolved. I am very sorry that you had to experience this inconvenience during your stay. I am also sorry that you had trouble finding your way while staying at NCC. We offer our guests detailed mapping upon arrival and are currently considering new options for navigating throughout our property.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed dining with us during your stay. I am sure that Executive Chef Mason, will be very pleased to learn that you liked the onion rings! We hope to see you again soon!

Waco, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

This hotel is mainly for business. I don't know why any individual would choose to pay for this place. I spent almost 4 weeks here on government contract. Rooms are small with only a full bed. No refrigerator or microwave. You are getting room and food therefore you eat in a cafeteria style area. Food is left over and used in the next days items. Many have been sick. You are too far from anything to walk so if you don't travel in with a car, you are spending money on a taxi. Finally, there are only 6 washers and 6 dryers for the entire place and with over 900 people here for 4 weeks, they run 24/7 and you are doing clothes whenever you can get a free machine.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
NCCmeet, Director of Sales at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
First, thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. Our European sized guest rooms are designed to focus on the training experience. Complimentary wired and wireless internet, coffee makers and many other amenities are offered in every room. NCC is committed to our food safety processes to ensure our guests always have the best products and service in the industry. Our guest dining experience is designed to offer every guest options to meet any dietary needs. In addition, we work with local famers to offer the freshest foods available whenever possible and they are never recycled. We would look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Biggest issue is the lack of any food/drink options if you have to arrive at a time after cafeteria hours. There is nowhere on site where you can get food outside the cafeteria, especially for those arriving over the weekend, except for a few snacks IF the bar is open.

If you have to park your rental car and bring your luggage in, it may be worth paying anyone you can find to drive you from your car to the lobby as it is QUITE a hike, especially if in heels.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
NCCmeet, Director of Sales at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review NCC. We are very sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience. I have shared your concerns with our team and we are currently working to address the issues that you mentioned.

We have recently opened a multi-level parking garage that is conveniently located a short distance from our lobby. We are also exploring alternative food options and additional ways to improve the guest experience.

Director of Sales and Marketing

Been to The National Conference Center? Share your experiences!