“Extraordinarily difficult building!” 3 of 5 stars

18980 Upper Belmont Place, Leesburg, VA 20176   |
Allentown
“Extraordinarily difficult building!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was my third stay at the National Conference Center, and I still cannot manage to navigate it without great difficulty - even WHILE holding a map. I was interested to find out the history of this design during my most recent stay. Apparently the architect was not an idiot. He chose to design this building according to the model of "brutalist architecture" which sports features such a unfinished concrete walls and ceilings and is purposely impossible to navigate without help. The building was designed to promote team-building from the start, making it, in the architect's opinion, the perfect conference center. I might disagree...

In terms of accommodations, however, the meeting rooms are plentiful and the guests rooms are surprisingly comfortable! The building in general is VERY cold, so bring a sweater, but staying there is never an unpleasant experience once you learn to accept the fact that you will get lost.

Room Tip: The yellow section of the North building is going to be easiest to find. Level 3 is ground level, s...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
NCCmeet, General Manager at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Hello,

Thank you so much for your review of The National Conference Center. We are very glad that you enjoyed the accommodations at NCC.

In your review, you also mentioned that you had a little trouble navigating the facility. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. But, we would like to thank you for taking the time to inquire about the history and floor plan of NCC. I would like to let you know that we are currently in the process of upgrading the signage at NCC. This improvement will make it easier to navigate throughout the property and should be completed by 2015.

Please contact me at sales@conferencecenter.com if you have any additional concerns or questions.

We hope to see you again soon!

Geoff Lawson
Vice President & General Manager

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I think this place is the very definition of "Average." This isn't a normal hotel, so you probably aren't choosing whether or not to stay here, unless you are the one organizing your meeting/ booking the venue.This wasn't a bad place to stay for a week. It was convenient having the hotel room, meeting room and dining hall in the same building. The food was pretty good, there were always plenty of options including vegetarian and healthy options (as well as rather excellent onion rings, I highly recommend them). The building is a bit run down, it's a bit far from anything, and it certainly isn't fancy or anything, but it was certainly clean/nice enough. Overall, I thought it worked out well for a week-long conference.

Two biggest problems: It was incredibly difficult to navigate, I was always getting lost. And the fire alarm (for the whole building, not an individual room fire alarm) was having issues or something, it went off four times (false alarms) within a day and a half, including twice around 2am. (this was a rather unfortunate problem)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
NCCmeet, Director of Sales at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Hello Julia,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the National Conference Center. I would like to let you know that the fire alarm issue has been resolved. I am very sorry that you had to experience this inconvenience during your stay. I am also sorry that you had trouble finding your way while staying at NCC. We offer our guests detailed mapping upon arrival and are currently considering new options for navigating throughout our property.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed dining with us during your stay. I am sure that Executive Chef Mason, will be very pleased to learn that you liked the onion rings! We hope to see you again soon!

Waco, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

This hotel is mainly for business. I don't know why any individual would choose to pay for this place. I spent almost 4 weeks here on government contract. Rooms are small with only a full bed. No refrigerator or microwave. You are getting room and food therefore you eat in a cafeteria style area. Food is left over and used in the next days items. Many have been sick. You are too far from anything to walk so if you don't travel in with a car, you are spending money on a taxi. Finally, there are only 6 washers and 6 dryers for the entire place and with over 900 people here for 4 weeks, they run 24/7 and you are doing clothes whenever you can get a free machine.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
NCCmeet, Director of Sales at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
First, thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. Our European sized guest rooms are designed to focus on the training experience. Complimentary wired and wireless internet, coffee makers and many other amenities are offered in every room. NCC is committed to our food safety processes to ensure our guests always have the best products and service in the industry. Our guest dining experience is designed to offer every guest options to meet any dietary needs. In addition, we work with local famers to offer the freshest foods available whenever possible and they are never recycled. We would look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Biggest issue is the lack of any food/drink options if you have to arrive at a time after cafeteria hours. There is nowhere on site where you can get food outside the cafeteria, especially for those arriving over the weekend, except for a few snacks IF the bar is open.

If you have to park your rental car and bring your luggage in, it may be worth paying anyone you can find to drive you from your car to the lobby as it is QUITE a hike, especially if in heels.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
NCCmeet, Director of Sales at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review NCC. We are very sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience. I have shared your concerns with our team and we are currently working to address the issues that you mentioned.

We have recently opened a multi-level parking garage that is conveniently located a short distance from our lobby. We are also exploring alternative food options and additional ways to improve the guest experience.

Please feel free to contact me at sales@conferencecenter.com should you have any additional concerns.

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

If you are looking for a venue where you can have your attendees somewhat secluded then this is a good option. There are meeting faculties and meal packages that can be arranged with the room accommodations - a real convenience when you don't want to loose your crowd de to meal time. The rooms are small dorm style rooms so don't expect a true hotel environment. Even so there are some recreational facilities and a bar on-site for after hours relaxation.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review The National Conference Center. Because the overall guest experience is our top priority, we are very happy that NCC was able to provide a distraction-free environment for your meeting.
Please feel free to contact me at sales@conferencecenter.com if you need any additional information about NCC. We hope to see you again soon!

Starkville, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Remote is a good beginning descriptor. When you come here it is to STAY at the meeting! The meeting facilities are good. The rooms, however, are best described as "spartan". Mt room was clean and provided the basic amenities, but that's it. Hotel staff was friendly, but front desk was slow and understaffed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review. The National Conference Center is a distraction-free environment to ensure that guests are getting the most out of their training. Because, the overall guest experience is our top priority, we appreciate you making us aware of your issue with the front desk staffing. I have shared your concerns with our team and we are currently working to address this issue.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

The only reason this place continues to exist is the fallout from the GSA conference scandal. Federal agencies are terrified to go to any destination that could even remotely be considered pleasant, hence breathing new life into the concrete monstrosity that is the NCC. Absent the morbid fear of being accused of wasting government money on junkets, this place would die an ignominious death, mourned by none.

How could I begin to enumerate the NCC's shortcomings? Maybe the simplest thing to say is that there is absolutely nothing - no, not one thing - good about this place.

The architecture and interiors are nothing short of a Minotaurian maze (bring bread crumbs to help find your way back from the cavernous bowels of the NCC). Who's ever heard of a three-part room number? Also bring a blindfold, or at least rose-colored glasses to distract you from the prison-like decor. Bring a doggie bag from last night's Applebee's dinner to avoid the overcooked, uniformly mediocre, and briefly served food, as well as your own cocktail shaker in order to bypass the overpriced and depressing bar that smells like old wet industrial carpeting. Amenities? What amenities? Remember to download your own movies onto your laptop, as you will need something to pass the time, and since the WiFi service is barely functional, don't count on any streaming services. I couldn't even watch a 30 second YouTube clip without frequent pauses. The service can charitably be described as - at best - indifferent. Cleanliness? There were long black hairs strewn strategically around my room. The little basket in the bathroom had a razor cover and bottle cap from the last inmate to occupy my cell. Need I go on? Location? Middle of nowhere. No car? You're stuck.

Want examples? Check out the pictures of my cell (the Anasazi cliff dwellers had more spacious living quarters), the new-fangled flat-panel television which tuned many channels (although oddly, even as the channel number changed, the actual channel did not), and the Soviet nursing home public space decor. Service? What service? I asked engineering to look at my very noisy air conditioner. Their response? "Well, yeah, it makes noise, but it cools OK, so we won't do anything about it. Try another room." No other cell-rooms were available. Want breakfast? Better get there before they stop serving at 8:30AM.

Think I'm being too critical of this place? I think I'm not being critical enough. But it you don't believe me, by all means, try it out for yourself. May God be with you.

Room Tip: The best rooms in the house are at the Landsdowne Resort, only a few short minutes away. Last I che...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
NCCmeet, Director of Sales at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are very sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience and have shared your feedback with our team.

The National Conference Center is a distraction-free environment to ensure that guests are getting the most out of their training. The overall guest experience is our top priority. We appreciate you making us aware of your issue. Our goal is to provide clean, crisp and comfortable accommodations and we routinely have guest rooms deep cleaned and maintained by a professionally trained team. We will also have our technical support team look into any possible Wi-Fi concerns.

Please feel free to contact us at sales@conferencecenter.com should you have any additional concerns.

Been to The National Conference Center? Share your experiences!