“Basic and institutional conference center” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The National Conference Center to your Saves list
18980 Upper Belmont Place, Leesburg, VA 20176   |
Alexandria, Virginia
“Basic and institutional conference center”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed here a year ago and was recently there for another 5 day conference. Not much has changed...or gotten better. While the rooms are small, they are clean and comfortable. Clearly they are designed knowing people won't be spending much time in them. The AC unit was also very noisy. The campus is a nice setting but the buildings are oddly designed with lots of exposed concrete and a confusing lay out that makes it difficult to get around the facility. Most of the buildings look like the inside of a Soviet era airport terminal.

On the good side, the wi-fi throughout the facility is great and the meeting rooms are excellent.

My biggest issue with the place has always been the food, which can be described as institutional, at best. I mostly stuck to the salad bar and deli selections because I found the entrees to be poorly executed attempts at gourmet fare-lamb stew and tandoori chicken served high school cafeteria style. Odd.

Overall, you won't starve there and a business trip isn't unpleasant but at the end of a week, you are definitely ready to go home.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
NCCmeet, Public Relations Manager at The National Conference Center, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Laura,

Thank you for your detailed review. We take our client feedback very seriously. Our preventative maintenance program has been redefined in order to address any room situations. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary Wi-Fi and our meeting rooms. In regard to our food, our dining room is set up cafeteria style and we try to offer a wide selection of dishes to accommodate and appeal to our guests. We take pride in our product and will explore alternate styles of presentation. We very much appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon!

Dyanne Smith

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my cozy room with free internet access,the bed was so comfortable and the TV had many stations to chose. The food was great tasting and a wide choice,the Chef is their to assist you in making choices to benifit you. The staff was so friendly and engaging. The location is so sirene and relaxing. I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to sharing your review with our Executive Chef and staff. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Dyanne Smith
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I have been at the NCC or the past four days attending an industry conference. The facility is perfect for the event that we attended as 90% of attendees stay on sight and there are some neat perks of staying at the NCC including meals being provided and beverage facilities all around the complex. Whilst its not what I would want if I was travelling with family it is perfect for business!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Managua, Nicaragua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Here you can find all you need for a good business meeting, event or gathering. If you are looking to keep everybody under "one roof" then this is the way to go. You have lodging, meeting rooms, food ( not the best one).

Don't think you can just walk out and find another place to eat, even though there are, it will take you a good amount of time walking to get there. If you are driving, then go for it.

It is the second time I come to this place and Even though the rooms are not the best (not spacious and or luxurious) as other places. It has the basics to keep you confortable.

Hope one day they upgrade to make it more "hommy". But again, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: If you are looking to be more than just a place to sleep, then choose a suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

So I had a to attend a mandatory work training event at the National Conference center in Dec. of 2012. I will do my best never to go back. First of all, the buildings are set up in a very confusing layout. Navigating them was difficult at best. Next, the rooms were so small, I am surprised they offer them without "blushing." Aside from their size, myself and a number of other colllegues all experienced bugs in our rooms. Stink bugs, lady bugs, water-bugs, etc. Terrible and disgusting. The in room air conditioner cycled every few minutes, it was loud, and did not allow for a great sleep, along with the on-all-night hallway lights beaming around the door. If I wanted a night-light, I would have brought my own. The bar on campus is way overpriced, and quite outdated. Finally, the cafeteria was completely overcrowded, the food was luke warm, bland, and the lines were awful. I will not got back, and cannot recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I went here for a conference over 6 months ago-but I still think my review would be accurate. This is a big conference center. It is huge in general, but the cool thing is that the rooms are small-meant for one person. I thought that was neat. Food is buffet style for each meal but they have a huge array of choices. Friday night that had a wonderful steak/shrimp set up. I mean, it was really good. Tea and Coffee are every where. Cool snacks set up if your group chooses to do so-ours did! ONLY draw back to this place, is that it is easy to loose where you are. It is so big and there are tunnels underground to get you around, that it is very easy to loose your bearing-and I think everyone does. I just kept asking questions-which way, and such-to the people who were standing there waiting to help. I think that the place knew their short fall. In the evening however-the people were not there and you were on your own. Anyway-that is the only set back. Took a walk down the hill. All kinds of buses running when it is busy-we went when it was not so. I would go back in a sec-really enjoyed this conference.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Grapevine, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The facility was once owned by Xerox and is designed to provide a comfortable, distraction-free training and / or conference experience. The facility is completely self-contained including fitness center and cafeteria. Walking trails provide excellent opportunity to enjoy fall color!
This is a great value for your conference as it is all inclusive. Evening excursions provide guests an opportunity to be shuttled to nearby Outlet Mall , Traditional Mall and Wine Tasting event on the weekends. (shuttle fees $10 to $15 per person). Shuttle to and from airport provided for nominal fee - no need to rent a car!

Room Tip: Rooms are generally assigned based upon your conference and or event. Food is located in the NORTH...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to The National Conference Center? Share your experiences!