“A cornerstone destination restaurant in historic Leesburg” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Lovettsville, Virginia
“A cornerstone destination restaurant in historic Leesburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Great food, paired with carefully selected and updated wines from around the world. The menu is constantly updated and showcases farm to table from the area. Everything on the menuis excellent.

Visited March 2013

90% Recommend
Northern Virginia
“A cozy neighborhood place with an interesting menu and great service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited on a chilly Tuesday night, arriving after 7 and were seated in minutes. The atmosphere was lively, with several groups of 4 or 6 enjoying dinner, conversation and lending warmth to the room. The staff was particularly attentive, willingly making substitutes to our standard order and getting everything right. Our courses arrived at appropriate intervals.

We ordered appetizers, dinner and dessert in addition to several glasses of wine and a flight of wine tastings. The serving sizes were modest, which suits us, as both my husband and I are always counting calories, but other guests may feel they do not get enough food for their money. I left feeling pleasantly sated but not grossly stuffed and I thought all the dishes were thoughtfully and skillfully rendered, in addition to being delicious.

My only gripe is that the "croque monsieur" on the menu is really just a grilled ham & cheese sandwich, lacking the egg batter of the traditional recipe. It's a very fine grilled cheese sandwich, but definitely not a croque monsieur and I found it a little pretentious that the chef would assume that customers wouldn't know or mind the difference. How can you charge $9 for a grilled cheese? Give it a French name, I suppose.

As we were preparing to leave the owner came up and introduced himself , asked where we were from and inquired about our meal. We thought that was a nice touch and as we walked away we both agreed we would enjoy going back again to try other appealing dishes and wines on the menu.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
“Recommending to all my friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had read the reviews about how crowded and small this place is, and my daughter and I came on a Thursday after 12:30 in February. We had no wait and almost had the place to ourselves. Our service was just fine and everyone was friendly and enthusiastic. The only problem we had was trying to figure out/narrow down what to order from the menu. It's not a large menu, but everything sounded really good. We got the cheddar biscuit bites, which come with a remoulade-type sauce and they were great! She got the Caesar salad with crabcake (terrific crabcake) and I got the roasted chicken pasta. We also had a plate of the gnocchi, and a flight of white wine and one of red. We were not crazy about one of the wines on the flight (not Chardonnay fans) and they recommended and substituted a different one. Our meal was delicious and the portion size was about right (we just couldn't finish everything because we ordered too many dishes because it all sounded so good). If I'm in Leesburg, I'll definitely go back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Purcellville, Virginia
“Eager to visit and not so eager to return to same server”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Finally made it in to The Wine Kitchen...food was delicious, although portion for the price was not what I would expect...service was horrible. Our server (strawberry blonde woman with bad attitude) mistakenly delivered the bottle of wine that was ordered by the couple sitting next to us and opened it and poured it before we asked if this was the way they served their flight tasting?! She was actually mad at us. Unfortunately it set the tone and she was less than happy to be serving us. I would attempt to go back but will MAKE SURE that she doesn't serve us...wish us luck.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, VA, USA
“Rockin'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Came here for lunch and were very impressed.
Roast chicken pasta and Open-face shortrib pot pie were awesome. The shortrib was braised perfectly (in red wine, I think). For dessert we had the Chocolate-Hazelnut Torta Palla and the Ginger-Grapefruit Curd. The palla was kind of perfect - a deep, delicious chocolate experience with some refreshing cream. The ginger-grapefruit curd was tasty; glad we had it, but would go with the palla (or the apple pie w/ cognac syrup that the people next to us had and were raving about) next time. Service is not the fastest, but they are very courteous and friendly.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere