“A bit of a disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Type: Wineries
Attraction Details
North Potomac, Maryland, United States
4 attraction reviews
“A bit of a disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Wines were ok but service was poor. The tasting was quick and the information was minimal(odd since their website claims they love educating consumers). We had to wait for a long time after the tasting to pay (lucky for them we were honest since we could have easily walked out unnoticed). My daughter was able to get someone's attention to purchase a bottle but then staff disappeared (which they did regularly while we were there). I was going to buy some wine but decided it wasn't worth it to wait for someone to come back to serve me (and I didn't feel the need to reward poor service). There was also some kind of register malfunction so then we were told to leave and pay at another register (where we also had to wait while the gentleman served someone else outside).Luckily there are several other wineries nearby for us to patronize since we won't be back (and I'm really wondering why I even gave them 2 stars for this! I guess it's because the wine was good even though nothing else was)

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The Tamara winery is in a wonderful setting. The wine tasting of 7 wines was well conducted, though the wines themselves were rather indifferent, but it is the setting which is wonderful. We bought three bottles of the excellent charval white and a plate of charcuterie and a plate of cheese, and sat by the tranquil lake to enjoy the experience. Highly recommended as an escape from the bustle of DC

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
“Inconsistency...2 out of 3 times”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I like some of the Tarara wines. The first time I visited was a couple years ago and the service was horrible for a tasting. You were told to go over to the bar...no prices given...you wait...then someone comes and does your tasting real quick. The staff that time did not give a lot of info on the wines and were rushed and then you pay your 10 bucks...I left that time annoyed because we waited so long for what? Returned last year to a fabulous experience and I was shocked. We got a staff who even took the time to let us try a wine with and without the glass airater to taste the difference and he provided a great learning experience on their wines, wine in general, and in comparison to the other wineries and did not skimp on the pours. So I took a friend this year for her first time to the VA wineries...and had a repeat of the first year. Horrible. We were greeted by a lovely lady and she told us to stand over by the bar and someone will be right with us...but no price or explanation...but she was very friendly so we were fine. But we stood there for a while and then finally another lady came over and asked us what we needed...um a tasting? She said "oh I think we are done with tastings for the evening"...it was 5:15. Then she asks someone and they said it was fine and she did the tasting. Well she used the bottom of what was left from the day because every glass just about was full of sugar or whatever sediment...if she explained what it was I could tell you. She did not explain things in depth and was distracted. We got the sweet lady for one of the wines which was refreshing but she then was gone and the other was back. They were overly busy and unorganized and well the wine tasting was awful due to having so much sediment in it with no rinse. Then we were told the prices...10 bucks for that. Very disappointing. So 3 chances and the last visit failed.

Visited September 2013
Jordan H, General Manager at Tarara Winery, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Hello - First off let me thank you so much for your continued support. I apologize for your two less than great experiences. No one likes excuses but I will let you know that this weekend (I am assuming you came Labor Day weekend based on the review timing) has been challenging in having staff available. We pride ourselves on ensuring fabulous service to match the quality we strive for in our wine. I know that was challenging this weekend and once again I apologize for that.

As far as the confusion on tasting at 5:15 pm I am deeply sorry. My only reasoning I can come up with is that you got someone new to Tarara or that they read their watch wrong because we serve tastings until 6:00 pm on weekends and will never turn someone away. We want you to taste our wines. That's why we are here!

I would love nothing more than to ensure your next experience is one you will always remember as one of the best of your wine tasting life. Next time you want to come out here i would be thrilled if you even reached out to me personally so i can show you what Tarara is all about. Thanks for your continued support and I hope to hear from you in the future.

Jordan Harris - Tarara Winery -General Manager
“Avoid this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I'm following up with state attorney general and better business bureau as well as writing thus review.

That don't post prices for tasting and actually mislead you to think the price is low or free. The glass is 6 bucks. No problem there. They posted that price. The tasting is $10 for not even a quarter glass of poor to below average wine. But price nowhere to be seen and no one tells you. Doesn't matter if you buy wine (which is overly priced) or not.

We got screwed and attitude to boot. If you know the least bit about wine or Virginia wineries this is not the place for you.

Visited August 2013
Hello - Generally I am simply not confrontational regarding reviews because all types of people are always looking for different styles of experiences. I also generally always work to make the situation right. That said, your review is slanderous and inaccurate so I will simply lay the facts out here.

Regarding the quality of our wine, you may not have liked it, but there are many including national media that disagree. In this year alone we have received three 90 point scores for our wines when only 8 have ever even been given to wineries in Virginia. That means almost half of those tops wines came from us. There are several also in the high 80's and they can be found on the Wine Enthusiast website anytime, just search Virginia. On top of that our winemaker was awarded the top 40 under 40 Tastemakers in America also through the Wine Enthusiast. He was one of only two winemakers to receive this on the East Coast. He was also awarded top 100 most influencial winemakers in America through Into Wine. One of only two in Virginia. This are some loft accomplishments proving great quality.

As for the problems with not showing our prices and under pouring they are also both false accusations. Our website stated very clearly in the General Tastings Sheet in the Tasting Room drop down "Wine tasting is available on a walk-in basis seven days a week for groups of less than ten. The tasting includes 6-7 delicious wine selections for $10/person (NOTE: last tasting starts 15 minutes prior to closing)." It is also printed on the tasting menu and available from anyone you ask. No it is not the first thing that comes out of anyone's mouth because the reality is that is simply the industry standard tasting fee. In that tasting you receive 6 wines of 1.5 ounce pours equaling 9 oz. That is 1 and 4/5 standard glasses (a standard glass of wine is 5 oz). So therefore if you think that $6.00 per glass is acceptable you should be happy to pay $10.80 for the tasting fee even before the educational factor.

It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy the wines and did not properly calculate the product you received. I do think you may want to understand the truth before you threaten anything however because in this case your accusations are 100% inaccurate.

Thanks, Jordan Harris - Tarara Winery - General Manager
Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Great place to spend an afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Tarara is one of the older and most established of the wineries in Virginia's wine country. It sits in a wooded area near the Potomac, just a short drive east of Hwy 15. Although you can't see much of the river because of all the vegetation, they have a large deck for relaxing and enjoying the excellent wines. They are active with event planning, and on many weekends they have special events or live music. At these times the place can become pretty crowded. My wife worked here a few years ago doing wine tastings. It was a great job mostly because the owners are very nice people.

Overall you can't go wrong here. The wines are very nice; the staff and the surroundings are pleasant and relaxing.

Visited September 2012