“Not really a "resort"” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
US
“Not really a "resort"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

My better half and I came to stay at the Landsdown Resort over the veterans day weekend as a mini-getaway, neither one of us having been here before. First I want to say that the actual "town" of Landsdown is very nice. It's nestled right between Sterling and Leesburg, and not only has a quaint community (there's a small mini-mall in the neighborhood that has little shops and a Harris Teeter) but is a short drive to Dulles Mall, and a little longer one to the outlets.

But that's not what we were there for. We were there for the "resort" experience. And I must say that this fell completely short. When we arrived we were greeted by a fantastic door staff, and check-in was quick and painless, these were the (only) highlights. Our room though was at best on-par with something you'd see from about 7-8 years ago (decor, design, etc). Shower head was basic, TV was standard definition, bed was marginally comfortable, and the furniture was something you'd see at Haverty's about 10-12 years ago.

The restaurants aren't bad, but nothing to get worked up about to be completely honest. We didn't sample the spa services, but the products that carry the label that they stock your bathroom with left us unimpressed and so we went to the local spa in town. However the prices sure did reflect that of a resort.

Like others have stated (hott24girl,kathy41378) this is an average hotel with a very nice golf course, and at least in the fall gorgeous grounds. It would be a very nice place to get married but cannot be put on the same level of say.....oh Kingsmill Resort down in Willamsburg. Where all of the comforts, luxuries, amenities, and conveniences of a 21st century resort are met and exceeded. For some reason other reviewers don't have these expectations of a hotel, I do. I expect the "resort" i'm paying nearly $500 for a weekend to at the least have high definition tv, and a lounge chair that isn't 15 years old.

Would I stay here again? Not on my own dime. Is this a nice place? Yes. Would I recommend this hotel to a friend or coworker....No, not unless they have a clear understanding of what i've explained here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Seth_Petersen, Guest Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, November 22, 2010
Dear blp2,

Thank you for your feedback. We take all comments seriously and are addressing your concerns. We are planning, and will begin shortly, a renovation of the bathrooms (expected to be completed by the end of February 2011). In addition, upgrades to our televisions are scheduled for the second quarter of 2011. We strive to constantly exceed expectations and feedback from our guests is critical to our success in achieving this goal. Thank you again for your review. With these improvements, I hope these improvements will encourage you to visit us again.

Warm Regards,
Seth Petersen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
new hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

Stayed here for a conference with 200 other people. Price seemed pretty steep for average rooms. The clincher was that all our rooms smelled like sewer-they kept moving people around when they complained-to another room that smelled like sewer. I asked them at checkout if they were giving any sort of discount because of the bad smell in everyone's room and they said that happens every year when they turn on the heating system in the fall. She continued to tell me "that's normal for us; so no, you don't get a discount". So, because the sewer smell was normal for them, we all had to pay full rate. Please also note the $20 per day "resort fee" that will also be tacked on your bill. I would never pay to stay here

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Seth_Petersen, Guest Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
Dear kpw68,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay at Lansdowne. The individual whom you spoke with was misinformed about the issue and has since been brought up-to-date regarding the issues. Please know that this is not a yearly occurrence at Lansdowne. As in most homes and buildings, problems often present themselves without warning. We are vigilant in our maintenance of Lansdowne Resort; unfortunately during your stay we suffered a breakdown of our air conditioning units which caused a chain of events resulting in the unpleasant odor to which you are referring. I assure you that this is the first time we have encountered this problem and have been working diligently to repair the issue. The daily resort fee covers usage of the Health Club and pool complex, in-room bottled water, internet access, local and toll free telephone calls, daily newspapers and parking. This fee helps us to provide and maintain all of our amenities for all our guests. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered, and we look forward to restoring your faith in us on your next visit.

Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Please keep in mind when considering my review- I have a bit of OCD when it comes to cleanliness (especially in hotels). I am very picky about where I stay and tend to choose newer hotels in hopes that they will be the best choice.
After thorougly researching this hotel I was confident it was a good choice for a quick kid free getaway. We needed to get away so we did not cut our trip short although I was tempted to after taking a shower.To sum it up:
PROS:
great food, very clean (but needs some updating), good atmosphere- loved the pub. great service there and the salmon is amazing as is the crab/spinach appetizer dip. The waiter recognized us the second night we walked in and immediately asked if we'd like the same drinks as the previous night; very nice touch. Outstanding service in the lobby- the concierge noticed my husbands coffee leaked while walking in and met him with a tissue to blot his shirt. The fruited water is a very nice touch and all of the public areas are very clean.
CONS:
The showers are AWFUL! Super old and didn't drain well. It was disgusting. The ONLY thing that kept us from checking out was that we really needed the getaway and there wasn't really an alternatively adequate hotel. I took super quick showers and tried not to think about it. The front desk told us that bathroom renovations would start next month and that all the rooms in the hotel had the same shower. (We were interested in upgrading to solve the problem) to no avail. The only saving grace was that while dreadfully old- they were as clean as they could be. The housekeeper even changed the shower curtain at our request because it was stained and just distasteful to look at. The replacement was not much better but at least we were pretty sure it had been recently cleaned.
-There were dried up bits of toothpaste on the walls next to the bathroom vanity- not a dealbreaker but not that great either...
-Regarding updating- the carpet appears worn (though clean) and the hallway vending machines/ icemakers were an odd contrast to the beautiful large round tables in the elevator/lobby area of each floor. It was sort of a weird mix of high end hotel and budget motel.

PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR BILL! If we hadn't of looked closer at our check out sheet while walking to the car, we would have paid an unnecessary $100.00. I booked at a rate about $45 a night less than what we were charged. Since I booked the hotel and my husband checked out he didn't notice the discrepancy. Luckily we caught it and we were credited the difference w/ no problem.

We also booked two massages at the spa- pretty decent. Not the best but not the worst. We booked the longer of the two choices... 75 minutes I think? but upon returning to the locker room and looking at the time we realized we had received the shorter massage. We were credited the difference which was also about $100.00.

I was hoping this hotel would be similar to the Inn at Perry Cabin in St. Michaels, MD. Though it is old- it is amazing in every way. While I think this hotel is headed in that direction... they are not there yet. I can say I would DEFINITELY return to the Inn at Perry Cabin... I can't say that about this one. We did have a relaxing break from the kids, with good meals and shopping. I am famous for checking out of sub standard hotels, and we chose to stay, so in the end- the good outweighed the bad!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear jtslma:
Thank you for the positive feedback concerning our staff, services and dining. I share all comments, good or bad, with our team for positive reinforcement and future training. I apologize for the conditions of the showers and the experience you encountered with cleanliness. What you describe is unacceptable and not to our standards. I have contacted the Director of Operations so that every effort may be made to quickly correct the issues. In December, we will begin undergoing extensive renovations to our guest bathrooms, in particular the showers, which we hope will enhance all our guests’ experiences. We hope that you will allow us to serve you again. Thank you again for sharing your compliments and concerns.

Shaker Heights, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

Our daughter (and son-in-law) were married at Lansdowne last weekend and everything from the ceremony to the cocktail reception to the dinner and dancing were perfect. Lindsay Forseth made everything run seamlessly. The ceremony on the terrace was breathtakingly beautiful, the dinner was absolutely delicious; many of our guests said it was the best wedding they'd ever attended. Even though there were 5 weddings there last weekend, we felt that we were given very personal attention.The entire staff was professional, helpful, and accomodating. What a wonderful resort for a wonderful occasion.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

Offered us free breakfast and then charged us afterwards. I called and told them we had used the free coupons they had given us and they said they were not valid. We would not have eaten there without the coupons.

I would never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Seth_Petersen, Guest Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, October 21, 2010
Dear james_m_f,

I truly apologize for the inconvenience regarding your rooms during your August stay. I understand that there was some confusion on our end based on your second room and a change in the package/rate on the second night. I do also understand that our Director of Operations spoke with you personally on October 20, 2010 and that the charge was credited to your account. On behalf of all parties involved at the resort, I sincerely apologize for the errors and hope that you will reconsider your opinion and will consider us in the future.

Regards,
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

We hosted my daughter's wedding at Lansdowne a week ago and were highly impressed with the hotel services and setting. Our guests enjoyed a dinner buffet at Stonewall's Tavern - thanks to the great food and services provide by Stefan Adams and staff. Our guests also fully enjoyed the pool, spa services and golf. The wedding/event staff were exceptional. I highly recommend Ashley Fenstermaker who went out of her way to assist us with our every need and ensure that every detail of the ceremony and reception went as planned. I highly recommend Lansdowne for a casual weekend or for the event of a lifetime. The hotel is elegant, the setting is picturesque and the staff are excellent. The bridal suite is luxurious and the hotel rooms comfortable and spacious.

• Stayed September 2010
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

We got married at Lansdowne Resort on September 18, 2010. We got engaged in April, so we were extremely pleased that we could secure a spot at Lansdowne with such short notice. We had hoped to have our reception in the club house, but since it was booked--until next year :), we had it in the Riverside Hearth. That is Lansdowne's buffet restaurant, so it is hard to visualize the space, but it was perfect. It has plenty of light and then as the sun set, the candles on the tables and on the columns around the dance floor illuminated the space. Our ceremony was held outside amid beautiful flowering trees and bushes.

Leslie, our coordinator, was helpful from day one. People asked me if I hired a wedding planner, and I said thankfully, since we have Leslie, we did not need anyone else. I jokingly called her my new bff since I would literally email her at least 3 times a week during the planning. She was always prompt with her responses and was genuinely excited about our plans and never shy about giving us suggestions.

I was pretty anxious about the wedding in the weeks before, but once we checked into Lansdowne on Friday, I was very relaxed knowing everything was taken care of. The room was set up just as I wanted. The cake matched the picture we provided.exactly and tasted great too! I am still getting comments about how excellent the food was...it was definitely not your typical wedding fair.

I wouldn't change a thing about the weekend there. We are already planning our trip back to use our assorted gift cards for hosting our wedding there. Thank you to Leslie and Lansdowne for making our day more perfect than imagined!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!