“Comped Hotel from United” 3 of 5 stars

Lansdowne Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   44050 Woodridge Parkway, Leesburg, VA 20176   |
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Leesburg
San Francisco, California
“Comped Hotel from United”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

I was not thrilled to be checking into this hotel, or any hotel, as I had just missed a connecting flight to Europe and this is where United was sending me. they had given me a voucher for the hotel and for a meal and alerted me to call the hotel for the shuttle. I did, and they said they'd be there in 15 minutes, but I waited about 45+ in stifling heat for the shuttle to arrive.

I had friendly and prompt service when checking in and was thrilled to learn that they had a free business centre as I didn't have my laptop with me and would have to unexpectedly work the next day before my evening flight to Geneva. They said it was open 24-hours and I had no problem working the majority of the next day, starting at 6am (trying to catch up to Europe work hours). That room was freezing though, way too strong on the air-conditioning, I was bundled up even though it was 95 degrees outside.

The room was find, but I agree with other reviewers that the colors in the room make it seem old and drab. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom nice (although a bit dark in the shower) and I appreciated the free bottles of water.

As I was delayed and trying to catch up on work, I didn't get to experience the golf or pool or other potential perks of the hotel. I didn't eat dinner the first night, just went straight to bed and my only meal at the hotel was lunch the next day. This was a monday, which I understand is probably a slow day, but as I walked around to the golf area, I found that everything was closed. I asked someone in that area and they said they thought one restaurant in the main building was open so I walked back over there. After at least 20-minutes of walking all over the property, I went to the front desk and asked, she had to check and then told me that only the pool bar was open. This is rather disappointing. I had a $15 voucher and you're telling me that a resort that has at least 5 or 6 restaurants does not have anything but the pool bar open for lunch? She also told me that I could go up to my room and order room service, but as I was already out of the room and packed up, that didn't seem like a good option. The pool bar food was average at best, which is to be expected so that was pretty disappointing.

I booked the shuttle back to the airport at 3:30pm and arrived 15 minutes early to see if we could leave early. While the men working at this counter were acting very professional, it wasn't all there. The one said, 'if no one else is on the bus, I can take you now', yet as I stood there for another 15 minutes, he never said anything else. I assumed we were waiting for others. Finally a few minutes before 3:30, someone else arrived and the driver said he'd go get the car. Then we waited.. finally he got it (it was parked really close) and brought it around. Then we waited some more for people to get on. It was 3:40 by the time we left. I know we were delayed b/c of other guests, but for a hotel that deals with so many comped United passengers, you'd think that you would leave at the booked time, whether people are there or not.

I don't think I'd find myself back at this hotel in the future, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice regardless. It seems like much of the staff is on their summer break from school and not trained up to the level that a hotel like this should be.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Seth_Petersen, Guest Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2010
It’s always difficult for us to see these reviews. It’s a reminder that the training and communication never stops, internally and externally. First and foremost, I want to apologize for the experience you had with us. From what I have gathered from talking to the staff, the number of distressed guests sent to us that evening far exceeded what we had allocated with our contacts at the airport. One of our goals is to improve our communication with these contacts in order to fine tune the arrival pattern. Regardless, if we say we will be there in 15 minutes, that is when we should be there. The cold temperature in the guest rooms is an ongoing challenge, especially with the ever changing temperatures, 100+ degree heat one day...mid-80s the next. The engineering team works diligently daily, and sometimes hourly, to get it just right. You are correct, our restaurant options are limited on Monday’s for lunch. It is something we continually revisit and will once again based on your comments. Thank you for your comments and we wish you all the best.

620 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

We stayed at Lansdowne Resort in June to celebrate our wedding weekend. We hosted a Welcome Dinner, the Wedding ceremony and reception, and then had a Sunday Brunch. We couldn't have asked for the weekend to turn out more perfectly! The resort is absolutely beautiful, the rooms are reasonable and extremely comfortable, the pools fun and relaxing, and (the best part) the staff are amazing. Leslie Eyster (catering manager) is fantastic and a HUGE asset to the resort. The rest of the staff, from the desk team to the gentlemen helping with doors and luggage to the catering team who served, is excellent. We would HIGHLY recommend Lansdowne Resort for a wedding, for business, for pleasure, for anything!!

• Stayed June 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

As an American family with a delayed flight from Geneva, this hotel was the most embarrassing and poorly managed after visiting 4 other countries. United transfers were cancelled and many guests, including non-English speaking, were pre-arranged to stay at Lansdowne. Sadly, travelers waited 1-2 hours for small shuttles during a rain and lightning storm. Other hotels sent many shuttles to pick up their guests. As a family of 5, we took a taxi after waiting 30 min. While everyone's voucher had been prearranged, the evening manager was unprepared, disorganized, and disrespectful as many were still waiting for shuttles at the airport 30 min. away. Sadly, he became belligerent when I asked for a manager to explain why he couldn't form 2 lines since he had 1 other staff member. She was complaining that she wanted to go home. He went on to explain how he was in charge and he had been the manager for 2 years. Clearly, the situation dictated more experience and common sense when contracted to accommodate international and domestic stranded guests. With a new line forming, the female helper, without a name tag, yelled for security when the Indian gentleman in front of me refused to provide a credit card. We all had vouchers from United. He had his family with 2 small children. In addition, we had food vouchers, the kitchen was closing at 12:00am and it was 11:30 pm. Again, did not represent the USA well at all. When it was my turn, the female refused to provide a business card nor would she tell me the manager's name so I had to walk over. His name was Alex and he also did not have cards readily available. Bottom line, shuttles should have been for frequent, 2+ lines with families and small children to the front, extra employees to check guests in, no complaining from employees, and extended kitchen hours to accommodate. While the hotel itself appears nice at a glance, it did not service the contracted needs for United in the manner intended. Simply, extremely poor hotel management created additional stress to an already difficult situation and an embarrassment to those of us that are US citizens.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

When we travel, we prefer resorts. Resorts should exemplify the best service and comfort catering to the customer, period. Lansdown falls far short of what we have experienced at any resort. The rooms are old and outdated with old TVs. The furniture including beds are old and worn out. The air conditioner at full could not cool the sink area or the actual bathroom. The food was horrible for the price we paid. The front desk clerk was NOT AT ALL accommodating in any way. We were so dissatisfied that we left after one day. I want to say, with the exception of the desk clerk, that everyone else at the resort was very friendly.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

Speaking of Golf™ did a live broadcast of their radio show from Lansdowne Resort in Leesburg, Virginia on July 3rd. I must say, we had a truly unexpected, wonderful experience. From the time we arrived, the service and attention to detail from the hotel staff was A+. Even as we sat back and did some people-watching, it was obvious to us, that this is the treatment any guest can expect while they are at Lansdowne Resort. It doesn’t matter whether you are dining, at the pool, or on the golf course, customer service is utmost.
One can also expect to find the golf both challenging at times and rewarding at others. And, it’s not just about the courses’ design. Encountering the many types of wildlife, who are completely at home with us mere humans, is a daily occurrence. Add the golfing experience to the variety of dining options, Spa Minerale (Tom loved his massage as much as I did mine), and five pool options, you just can have one terrific vacation or business stay. Only 8 miles from Dulles Airport in Washington, DC, Lansdowne Resort turned out to be a great discovery. We hope to return soon.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
north potomac
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Congratulations to the Lansdowne Staff for an outstanding job! Both our wedding ceremony and reception were everything we expected them to be and more. Most importantly, we want to express our deepest gratitude to the BEST catering manager, Leslie E., without whom our wedding would not have been a success. Leslie would return all my e-mails and phone calls promptly and pleasantly. At the very last minute, I had to deal with unexpected obstacle and Leslie came through with a solution. From near and far, the wedding guests who stayed at the hotel were very pleased as well. Overall, if we had to do it again, we would undoubtedly, choose The Lansdowne Resort as our wedding venue.
Dr. Mansour Mortazie & Donna Mowry

• Stayed May 2010
The Hague, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

When I stayed at this resort, at the first day (Saturday) there were 3 weddings. So, problably if you plan your wedding here it's okay.
What I really didn't like was the room: very old fashioned, not comfortable, it smelled (I asked for another room and got a little bit less smelly room) and just OLD. The service is also not as good as it should. Very uninterested people. And as I was joining my husband on a business-trip, it was a pity there wasn't much to do in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!