“Terrific Wedding Venue” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Leesburg
Washington, DC
“Terrific Wedding Venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

My daughter and son-in-law recently chose Lansdowne as the venue for their wedding. They were not disappointed as extreme care was taken to accommodate their every request. We found the staff at the resort to be friendly, professional and customer service-oriented. We were particularly impressed with the catering sales staff, who delivered a superior wedding product, including fine dining menu selections, with a delightful food tasting session; professional staging of the venue for added effect; and an exceptional team who catered to the desires of the bride and groom. The resort was well appointed and maintained, providing a picturesque backdrop for a lovely fall wedding.

• Stayed October 2009

616 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

My husband and I wanted a reasonably close weekend get-a-way to celebrate our 10th anniversary and chose Lansdowne Resort. Our room was nice, the Sunday brunch was nice, and my husband had a massage at the spa. I thought the spa was WAY overpriced, but other than that I have no complaints. We reserved our room on the Resort's website and received 20% off for booking online and paying in advance.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

In 29 years of travel, I have never fallen ill while staying at a hotel or resort. Last month, after I arrived in this DC suburb, I became very ill in the evening and had to be taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital. (Hotel called after my daughter called them from L.A. Hotel seem more interested in asking me questions about any food I consumed there. Clearly it was a report for the risk-management department.) I returned from hospital by taxi five hours later, texted my client and canceled our meeting scheduled for that morning. Later, I called the desk and said I needed to extend my stay. They were well-aware that I was ill (pneumonia not swine!) and had been to hospital. Nevertheless, they told me I could not stay another night. I shuffled to the desk a little later and asked for the manager. " Busy," the desk person said. "How about the assistant manager? No," she would have to help me.
"We are overbooked," she said. "Nothing I can do." I asked if they could help me find something nearby. She handed me a list of properties and said, "Try these."
Honestly, I could barely stand up, much less put out calls. She told me that if I found something, they take me there.
Thankfully, my office discovered the very gracious Holiday Inn, Leesburg where they welcomed me and then upgraded me to a small suite. Lansdowne, after having said they would take me to a new place, called the Holiday Inn's shuttle to come get me, and it took them 45 minutes to even place the call.
If this customer service doesn't discourage you, know that their food choices (especially on room service) are extremely limited, and they have no healthy alternatives on the menu.
This hotel was recommended by a prestigous organization in the area. I also fully informed them.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Seth_Petersen, Customer Support Specialist at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, October 13, 2009
Thank you for your comments. I met with our front office manager and personally discussed this situation. She remembered it vividly and was concerned also. We are glad you are feeling better. Like all hotels and resorts, we sell our rooms based on availability and anticipated departures. As we were anticipating your departure, the room was guaranteed to another individual and the resort was 100% sold for the day which you were looking to extend to. We acknowledge that the situation should have been handled more professionally, in this respect the front desk agent was answering your request to extend your stay based on fact. That being said, last weekend our front office manager had a private meeting with each of our customer service reps to reiterate our best practices and schedule additional training for this week. We are aware we have some work to do with our customer service and are revisiting each department. I also spoke with Security regarding your illness; and as I am sure you are aware, security personal are typically pretty cut and dry. The reason they ask these standard questions is that they are looking to get information not only to help determine the cause of your illness, but also to help protect the well-being of our other guests. Your comments were very insightful and one’s we did not ignore. We take great pride in our customer service and continue to strive for improvement. Thank you again for posting your comments.
Hampton VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

My family and extended family were recently there for my son's wedding, also held at Lansdowne. The experience was wonderful and everyone was impressed with the service, rooms, food and friendliness of the staff. I love staying at this hotel. We have stayed there on other occasions and have never had any problems.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Northern Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

we recently selected Lansdowne as the site of our daughter's wedding and reception. We couldn't have been more pleased. We found everyone helpful and polite. The wedding was held outside, overlooking out toward the Potomac River. The view couldn't have been better. The reception site was just what we wanted. The staff was pleasant and attentive to our needs. There were also no complaints about the food which was wonderful.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

I think that this copy of a letter I wrote to the property says it all...

I recently stayed at your property while attending a wedding nearby. I am a frequent guest at many hotels both domestic and international. I also hold preferred status with many of them due to my amount of stays. I must comment that this stay was one of the WORST hotel stays that I have EVER experienced. Beginning with the UN-helpful doormen to the front desk clerk with the pretentious attitude that seemed to be unwilling to help anyone. If it were not for the fact that it was a terrible rainstorm and that I had a wedding to attend I would surely have left early. Not only did they not have the room type that I reserved, but at checkout I was overcharged. I had a confirmation email with the correct rate and the front desk clerk still did not want to change it stating that I was wrong even though I showed him the confirmation email! In fact the same clerk helped me when I checked in and was equally unhelpful! I asked for a room with a view if possible since it was my first time at the property and wanted to see the view. He refused and said that in order to get that I need to request it "earlier", whatever that means. And to top it off , watching my wife carry her own bags to and from our car made it just a disgrace to even be at this property. By the way, there were bellmen watching this as well! Overall, a TERRIBLE stay! I fully intend to let all of my colleagues know to stay away from this hotel!

Just a quick p.s.... the place does look nice and is decently furnished. The bathroom shower had bad pressure and was slightly moldy.

Stay away if you can...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Seth_Petersen, Director of Marketing at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2009
I just noticed your comments this morning. I have personally spoken to several department heads regarding each performance issue and, I can assure you, we take your comments seriously and are responding to each one. Regarding your room request and a room with a view, often rooms are assigned based on what rooms are available at check-in and we do make every effort to give guests their first requests. The rate confusion stems from a lack of internal communication that has been corrected. We could have handled this all in a friendlier manner and for that we apologize.

Please also note that we are currently renovating bathrooms, in a plan that will take us into 2010. Thank you for making us aware of your particular room; it’s now on our list to be renovated sooner rather than later.

Again, we appreciate your comments. Often we get high marks for our customer service, but if we’ve failed recently, we need to know. Your feedback is helpful as we continue to make improvements to best serve our customers. Feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns.

Denise Benoit
703-729-4129
Northern VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

We could not have picked a better location for our girls weekend away. The staff at Lansdowne was warm, welcoming, and over the top helpful. Lansdowne was a great choice because we got the feeling of being far from home, without having to travel far. We will definitely be returning in the future!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!