“Perfect Girl's Weekend"” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Leesburg
Northern Virginia
“Perfect Girl's Weekend"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

A few girl friends and I stayed here for a night to recharge. Each of us had spa appointments booked for the afternoon which started the weekend out right. The spa was clean, attractive, and the services were wonderful. Even better, we will able to stay within the spa and use the whirlpool, sauna, and steam room after our services were finished. This is where we really unwound and caught up with each other. After we left the spa, we were totally relaxed. The staff was very friendly and accomodating.

We had a great dinner that evening while lounging in soft oversized chairs, sipping on wine in front of a fire. We even played Wii for the first time while there.

We had heard great reviews about the brunch but ended up just having the regular breakfast buffet instead. It was great and I would recommend it to anyone that doesn't want to stay until 11am when the brunch begins.

Surprisingly, it was an extremely affordable weekend that did not break the bank. It is one of the few hotels in the Washington DC area with free parking, great amenities, and such nice spa facilities. I would highly recommend it to anyone planning a ladies weekend away.

Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
hotelmarketer, Marketing Department at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2009
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

We are so glad to hear you and your girlfriends enjoyed your recent visit to Lansdowne Resort and our Spa Minerale. We are the greater Washington, DC's only four diamond AAA resort with spa, golf, pools and more.

Please come back and visit us again soon! Our free outdoor Sounds of Summer concert series begins Friday June 5. It is a great way to spend a relaxing summer evening!

615 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Leesburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

We decided to take a last minute mini-vacation and go to the spa at Landsdowne and spend the night. We each had a stress relieving massage and ate at the golf club. After dinner we hung out in the bar and grill and played shuffleboard. There are very nice, comfortable sitting areas, with board games and books. We really enjoyed ourselves and are looking forward to going back when the outdoor pools are open.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
hotelmarketer, Marketing Department at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2009
We at Lansdowne Resort are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. As Washington, DC's only 4 diamond resort, located just 30 minutes from the beltway, we do have a lot to offer. The resort's beautiful grounds are really coming to life right now with the spring weather. The golf courses are open and beautiful! The outdoor pool complex will be opening in May, so please come back and see us again soon. Our free "Sounds of Summer" concert series will begin on Friday June 5th and go through September 4 - every Friday evening. A great way to spend a summer evening!

Again, thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you back to Lansdowne again soon.

The staff and management of Lansdowne Resort
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

When you think of luxury what comes to mind? Hopefully it’s not Lansdowne Resort. My wife and I spent a couple of nights here in March for a restful getaway weekend; however, it was anything but restful and we’d have done better just staying home. Where to start:

As has been reported in other posts, the rooms are nothing special. Our first room was an average size King Room that you’d get at any other hotel. The bathroom was small and dark. The room was dark. Everything is dark because the room has low wattage light bulbs and a permanent fall color scheme of orange and dark green. The technology in the room is from the 90’s – bulky, old Magnavox 27” TV, basic clock radio, basic hotel phone, limited cable channels. Our second room after upgrading to a suite, while certainly bigger with a separate seating area outside the bedroom, had the similar low light problems. The bathroom lighting was particularly horrible. Upon closing the shower curtain in the standard sized tub, it was like you were taking a shower in the dark. The only light in the area was a can light that shown straight down halfway between the toilet and the tub. This was a suite??? All in all, the rooms are nothing to write home about.

On our second day there, we had booked a massage one week prior to arrival; however, the spa had no record of our reservation and there were no other times available until the morning we were leaving. My wife was able to get a facial and use the spa facilities, but it really wasn’t anything special.

After speaking to the manager about these problems, she credited us one night’s lodging and made reservations for us in their fine dining restaurant which we clearly could have just walked in and gotten a seat just as easily. I will say that the food was excellent. Try the rib eye steak! However, when it came time to leave, I was presented with a bill for the meal except for the dessert which was “on the house.” My assumption was that the hotel was covering the entire bill. One of our servers even knew that we had trouble with the spa that afternoon. After explaining once again my conversation with the hotel manager, the restaurant contacted the front desk, and the dinner was taken care of by the hotel.

Lansdowne is always talked about in the DC area as a luxurious place to go and spend some time, play some golf, enjoy the spa, and eat a fine meal. While this may be partially true, as one who has stayed in much finer hotels around the world (check out the Hilton Venice), Lansdowne didn’t really strike me as anything special. Unfortunately, it’s barely average.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear that your visit to Lansdowne Resort was not as you had expected. The decor of the resort is reflective of nature, bringing the colors of nature indoors. We do hope the complimentary night we extended did help with your visit.

The culinary team, lead by our Executive Chef Jason Lage does an outstanding job and we are glad you did enjoy your dinner at "On the Potomac" restaurant.

We continually strive to improve our services and facilitites, and do appreciate your comments. Please come back and see us again soon. The resort looks outstanding in the spring, with trees, shrubs and plants in full bloom! The "Sounds of Summer" free outdoor concert series begins Friday June 5th and continues through September 4, 2009.

The staff & management of Lansdowne Resort
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

Don't know how some of the other reviewers had a negative experience. We went there for a night away from home with the girls. The rooms and service were spectacular. So spacious and comfortable. The grounds were immaculate and there is an astounding view of the mountains. I wish it had been warm enough to enjoy the firepit outside. We had a fabulous dinner at "On the Potomac" restaurant - one of the best I have ever eaten at. Then we went to the bar which was lively and fun. The breakfast buffet in the morning was also delicious. We definitely plan to do this at least once a year if not more!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
hotelmarketer, Marketing Department at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, March 24, 2009
Hello "Girls Night Out"

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at Lansdowne Resort, and all the amenities we have to offer. Lansdowne does offer a wide variety of activities including championship golf, a "destination" spa with world class treatments, beautiful walking paths and well as nearby high quality outlet shopping! Do come back again and see us, perhaps for one of our "Uncork & Unwind" weekends featuring the areas 20+ wineries!

Thank you for your review!

Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

This is the kind of place that thrives on large business groups and gives short shrift to all others - so unless your company is picking up the tab, go elsewhere where you will get better value for your money and better service.

Hard to believe, but yes, as another reviewer notes, they have the nerve to charge a $15/night resort fee, but don't open 'resort' amenities like the pool because they don't want to spend your fee on a lifeguard. The pool is not open on a Friday afternoon at a 'resort'?? This defies any rationale. Similarly, the multiple restaurants and bars they advertise were closed for private events, so for people who have traveled from afar for special events like weddings, there was no place to gather and socialize other than the cramped confines of the rooms.

During a 3 night stay, no less than 3 letters of apology from the hotel management were slipped under my door - from problems ranging to a lack of satellite service to late night fire alarms. At a certain point, daily apologies become moot and don't make up for the wretched service. Just like the responses on this site from the management ring hollow...

• Liked — Can't think of anything to recommend. There was one nice employee who lent me a tablecloth to shield me from hurricane strength rains.
  • Disliked — The poor service and utter lack of effort to make up for it.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
hotelmarketer, Marketing Department at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, October 6, 2008
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. On behalf of the staff and management of Lansdowne Resort I do apologize for any inconvenience you had during your recent stay.

Like many resorts, we do charge a resort fee to cover usage of all the facilities such as the fitness club etc. We do try to keep our outdoor pools open as long as possible to extend the summer season, but sometimes the weather does not cooperate. We were lucky to go as far into September as we did with keeping the outdoor pool complex available to our guests.

Our resort does offer a large "great room" styled lobby which serves our guests well as a gathering place. Along with our many outdoor terraces our guests generally find these areas good places to relax or meet with friends. I know the weekend you stayed at the hotel was a particularly busy one for the hotel, yet these areas are usually readily available. I do apologize if they did not meet your needs.

I do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you the four diamond service we do our best to deliver. Again, thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. We do need the guests' feedback to improve our service.

Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

I stayed here for a work event for 2 nights. The property overall looks nice on the outside, but there are problems on the inside.

Rooms were pretty drab. Lighting was poor in the bathroom. The vanity had a leg right in the middle of the bottom of the vanity near the floor and I kept stubbing my toe during my stay!

Food was terrible. For this type of property, I expected much more. There was a bbq chicken dish and the sauce tasted like cough syrup. Yuck!

• Liked — Location to IAD airport
  • Disliked — Rooms, food
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
hotelmarketer, Marketing Department at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, September 15, 2008
Dear Resort Guest,

We at Lansdowne Resort first of all want to say thank you for staying with us, as well as sharing your comments. We can better address situations as soon as we know about them! I will send your comments on to our Room Division to see about improvements in the guest room lighting. Regarding your experience with the food, I do apologize and hope you will give our resort another opportunity to show you our culinary skills.

Again, thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We hope we will be able to welcome you back to Lansdowne Resort and to a more enjoyable visit.

chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2008

I shouldn't be forced to give 1 "gold circle/star" to this property, it should be zero. My only problem is I don't know where to begin by telling you how bad this place is.

I went there for a friends wedding, the wedding group had something like 40 rooms tied up (the 'wedding rate' was still $225+/nt). The bride and groom are not kids, the average age of the guests was probably 45 and I don't think there was anyone there younger than 35-I only mention this so you don't think we were a bunch of college kids.

Lansdowne screwed up virtually every aspect of the wknd-some of it I wouldn't believe if I wasn't there...they advertise they have 3outdoor pools-well it was 90+ on a sunny friday afternoon and all three pools were CLOSED. The bizzare thing was you could sit by the pool, look at the pretty water, but if you got in some guy would come up and tell you "sorry sir the pool is closed and you must get out" Apparently they didn't have any lifeguards on duty, but they "should be here around 3pm"...it was 1pm at the time. So get this-around 1.30pm the same guy comes out and tells us "I know it is hot so I going to let you take a dip to cool off for 15minutes, then I gotta close the pool again" Are you kidding me? No he wasn't kidding.

Lansdowne charges an additional $15/nt "resort fee" to your bill-how can you have the nerve to charge a resort fee when your guests can't even swim on a sunny 90degree day??

The pool situation was almost amusing, what wasn't amusing was the fire alarms. So the fire alarms start going off on Friday night at 3am, one of the wedding guests is a 93yr old woman-obviously if you are 93 you probably don't get around too quickly. She happens to have a bad leg as well. So her daughter calls the front desk to ask if it is a false alarm, she is told "YOU MUST GET OUT OF THE BUILDING-GET OUT!" so they take the stairs down immediately in their night gowns and go outside. It was a false alarm (which the staff later told us was very common there) and they never even bothered to come outside and tell the guests it was a false alarm and they could go back inside-they just left the people outside on the curb. Then noone had the courtesy to give her a hand getting back inside. The really odd thing was the alarms were only going off on some floors-not every floor (what kind of system is that??)

I won't even bore you with the details of how they screwed up room assignments-multiple times.

I could go on, and on-but the bottom line is this place is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing. The place should be made into a parking lot...
  • Disliked — The entire place is awful.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Resort Guest,

Thank you for for taking the time to share your experiences duriing your recent stay at our resort. On behalf of the staff and management of Lansdowne I do apologzie for these unfortunate situations.

After the Labor Day holiday, we do keep our outdoor pools on a different schedule than during the summer time. Occassionally the weather surprises us though! For the safety of all the guests, it is important that we do have lifeguards on duty for our outdoor pools.

Regarding the fire alarm system, we respond to every alarm as a real emergency. In keeping with safety standards, once an alarm is signaled on a particular floor, the system automatically includes the immediate floor above the alarm site, as well as the floor below. In addition, elevators are not to be used during an emergency. Only after the situation is completely checked can it be determined if it was a false alarm. We do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Should any guest believe they may need any additional assistance during their stay, wether an accessible room, one on a low floor or other situations, it is always best to tell a hotel or resort when first making the reservation and then make sure the accommodations fit the needs of the guest upon check-in.

Again, thank you for bringing these situations to our attention. We do hope to be able to welcome you back to Lansdowne Resort on a future occassion, and let us meet your expectations.

The Staff & Management of Lansdowne Resort

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!