“Nice weekend getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
New York City, New York
“Nice weekend getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Just spent a nice August weekend here by myself as a little getaway. Started with a great massage at the spa and then got to spend both Saturday and Sunday by the pool. The hotel really caters to large events (there were two weddings this past weekend) but still has a small hotel feel. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. Food could have been a little better but I ended up eating dinner out two nights anyway so it worked out.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Madrid
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

The WOA effect works with this hotel. Since the first moment you enter the reception, the quality and the size of the hall makes you realize that this is a great hotel. With big and silent rooms, 5 pools and an AMAZING gym, the facilities are really high end. But...

Sometimes there are details that reduce the overall opinion, and in the case of this hotel there are 3: Service, restaurants and shuttle service.

The people in the reception are not very friendly or even qualified for this kind of hotel. In addition the price of the shuttle is far too high and the quality of the restaurants is extremely low. They even reject my late checkout after 10 nights!!

The price of this hotel is very high, and they would need to take care of these kind of details.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I agree with "Not Great". We went for a romantic getaway after 30 years of marriage. The "resort" comes across as a high end, somewhat exclusive, "destination" experience in the hills of Virginia but the surroundings are very industrial and it is 5 miles to downtown Leesburg, which didn't impress me as a "destination". The room was dark, the bed was comfortable, the view was of a rooftop. The biggest problem was that, though they have 4 pools, only one of them was open and though they have 5 restaurants, only 2 of them are open. The staff, when you can find them, are friendly and helpful, if they speak English. I am sorry, but I don't feel like I should have to be multilingual to stay at a "destination" resort in suburban Virginia. The biggest problem is that there just aren't enough staff people to handle the number of guests at the resort. There was never anyone at the concierge desk. Our search for the open restaurant on Saturday night took 25 minutes. When we went to check out, there was no one available to get the car, in spite of the fact that it was check out time on Sunday morning. And, as much as I like dogs, there were too many in the hotel. I would look elsewhere for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the hotel with balconies overlooking the golf course would be ideal
Green Features: Pretty standard, towels on the floor get washed, CFL light bulbs
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Hello ToilingTraveler,

Thank you for your review. Thirty years of marriage deserves a truly special and significant celebration. You turned to us for that, and we let you down. And for that I am truly sorry. I would love to welcome you both back to Lansdowne for an experience worthy of a 30th anniversary. Please reach to me at jhorsman@destinationhotels.com.

Warm regards,
Elkton, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a two night stay and really have to say that it was just okay. We chose this resort with the idea of unwinding after a stay in DC with our five year old.
The website leads you to believe that it is in a rural, rolling hill setting. It is not. It is in the center of an industrial park in a man made, cookie cutter community.
The room was dark and rather outdated. The coverlet smelled. The beds were worn and the pillows thin. The view was of a rooftop.
Housekeeping arrived at 9:30. We were still in our room and I told her that we were getting ready to leave and that she could come back a little later. At 5 when we returned to our room it was still untouched. I called housekeeping and was told that she probably didn't understand?! I asked for towels and cleaned up myself.
The restaurants were expensive but our dinner at The Crooked Billet was good and the service was good as well.
The pools and gym were okay.
A few of the staff members were friendly ( front door guys, a waiter in the bar near the lobby ( he was a bald guy) and our waitress in The Crooked Billet), but everyone one else seemed like they'd rather be elsewhere or were a little pretentious.
It seems like this place is geared more for conventions or weddings not for a nice, friendly family getaway.
If you don't mind staying in the middle of man made suburban sprawl with indifferent service than this might be for you, but I wished we had stayed in the city longer or just returned home.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear BorderCollieLover,

Thank you for providing your feedback. It sounds that the respite you were seeking at Lansdowne from your city adventures were not what you found on your most recent stay. For that, I apologize. Service was inconsistent and we did not meet your expectations. I would welcome an opportunity to try again. If you’re inclined, please reach out to me at jhorsman@destinationhotels.com.

Portsmouth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

My husband and I decided to get away for a night. At first I thought it was nice, but then came to realize it really was just another hotel and not a very good one at that. The bed was very uncomfortable, the pillows were hard, the toilet ran all the time. We had stayed at a Marriott recently and it was far better than this. I couldn't sleep and decided I'd rather sleep at home, so we left in the middle of the night, and you could hear every person walking in the halls past your room. The front staff barely looked at us, didn't care at all that we were leaving, didn't care that we had a complaint. I was telling a friend of mine about this, and she said 'they probably thought you were lovers leaving in the middle of the night!' Maybe that would explain why they never bothered to look us in the eye or address our concerns, or they just really don't care about their customers. Either way it was a huge disappointment. We will not come back here and I will definitely not recommend it to others. On a plus note, the bartender was very nice, wish I had gotten her name because she does deserve the kudos.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear DLATJSP

Although it pains me to read your review, I am grateful you took the time to write it. To think that a guest left us thinking we “didn’t care” about them or their stay with us is unthinkable. Please know that your comments are being shared with our team as we look to increase customer service standards. We would love to have you back to Lansdowne to show you how much we value each of our guests. If you’re amenable, please reach out to me at jhorsman@destinationhotels.com.

upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We stayed here one night when we needed a room in the area while I was traveling for work. We booked that day and got an excellent rate (similar to other hotels in the area). The hotel was not very busy so they let us check in right away and gave us a late check out the next day, which was great!! They were very accommodating. The room was a bit small but we did not think it was too dark. The bathroom was modern and nice. The exercise room was great, and the family loved the pools. If you like golf there are also golf courses that look very nice. If you need to be in the area for some reason and can get a good rate, I highly recommend this hotel. Only thing is, make sure whoever is checking in is on the reservation.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Thank you Lansdowne Resort for the beyond par excellance customer service. Thank you Lansdowne Resort for the beyond par excellance hospitality service. Thank you Lansdowne Resort for the beyond par excellance food service.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!