“Nice weekend escape from DC” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   44050 Woodridge Parkway, Leesburg, VA 20176   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
mgmdc
“Nice weekend escape from DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We took advantage of a recent deal on Certifikid to get away from DC for the weekend. We swam in the pool on Saturday and Sunday, and used our resort credit that was part of the package for dinner on Saturday night. The service was fantastic; everyone went out of their way to be friendly and helpful, and there were lots of nice little touches, including chocolates in the early evening. The meal in the pub was nice, though expensive. My only gripe is with reservations: we upgraded to a corner king "suite" to have a separate alcove for our kids' travel crib. I specifically asked--twice--that we be put in a quiet room, only to discover upon arrival that our room was adjacent to the vending area and service doors, featuring a very old and loud ice machine and the doors through which housekeeping and maintenance barged all afternoon. It terrified our toddler, who refused to sleep in her crib as a result. Room 621 was a big fail for our needs.

Room Tip: "Corner kings" have a separate little room just inside the door that is removed from the m...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank mgmdc

Los Altos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Our primary objective was to experience the golf course -- which was top notch and meticulously manicured, especially given the time of year (November). Because of the slightly elevated location, the club house and the adjacent restaurant offer spectacular panoramas of the wooded Virginia landscape. The driving range also offers a great view well beyond the resort property. The resort staff provided first rate service and we found our suite to be very comfortable, clean, and quiet. And because this hotel is easily accessible from Dulles airport, we will definitely come back the next time we travel to the DC area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hinojosap
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Hello hinojosap,
Thanks so much for the oustanding five-star review for Lansdowne Resort. I appreciate your taking time to submit it. While our 45 holes of golf are always in outstanding condition, I hope you can return for golf in the Washington, DC area and our Troon managed facility when it is warm and the greens are rolling fast. While there are many options for golf in Northern Virginia, I am confident you will find our Robert Trent Jones, Jr and Greg Norman courses a pair of the finest in the Middle Atlantic. We hope to see you again soon.
James J. Horsman
Managing Director
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Take this review with a grain of salt, I was only here for a few hours as the airline I was traveling with comped the room due to some flight delays.

Lobby and reception was very nice, and the clerks were fast in getting a lot of us checked in at 3am in the morning....and very friendly in doing so. Very efficient, very pleasant.

The hallways on my floor were a little musky smelling, but bearable.

The room was very comfortable, although some of the fixtures (bathtub, toilet, sink, etc) seemed a little dated.....but worked fine. Bed was cozy, shower had decent pressure.

I did not do any other activities here, so please read other reviews for that. It was a short stay, but looking at all the activities and amenities (from brochures in the lobby and room) I would go back if the opportunity arose.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Orlando
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is not a bad place, just not worth the price. The lobby is nice, but the rooms are notably old. It looks like there was an attempt to re-model this old property, but it appears they were not "all in" and attempted to do modernize the place with minor enhancements, paint n a few fixtures. The rooms are dark and dreary, it appears they were going for a boutique hotel feel but ended up at the Munsters the guest rooms and their associated floors look old, the food is average at best (Cafeteria food even in the restaurants). Attempted "lipstick on a pig." I'm sure most people who dont travel a lot fall for it.

On the flip side, The people that work there are wonderful delightful folks and go out of their way to meet every need with excellence. They compensate for th

Room Tip: Ask for a room/floor that is not hosting a wedding party. I am at this property regularly, and the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank crazivan
Kennett Square, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We got a great deal on Amazon local with a spa credit included. We were worried after reading some reviews on Tripadvisor, but we really enjoyed our stay and are planning to return to play golf. We stayed two nights during MLK weekend.

Check in was a breeze and the complimentary champagne was a nice touch. Our room was big enough and had 2 sitting chairs. (Most hotels only have 1 and it drives us crazy)
The first morning I went to the spa, while my husband checked out the property and asked the concierge for recommendations on wineries and breweries. We came back late afternoon and enjoyed the hot tub in the fitness center. We went to Stonewalls Tavern for a later dinner and it was packed. My husband really enjoyed the 1/2 baked chicken. My chicken sandwich was OK. Prices seemed about what you'd expect at a hotel.

The next morning we went for a long walk along the Potomac. The concierge had given us a map of 2 different walking trails.

Overall, the resort was great, and met our needs for a couples escape. We'd like to return in the warmer weather to take advantage of the outdoor pools, patios and golf.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear hmgmba,
Thanks for taking time to provide a great review and solid feedback from your recent visit to our Northern Virginia resort. The Amazon offer was certainly a great deal, so glad to hear that you took advantage of it. You definitely need to return during the spring/summer. Our five-pool Aquatic Center is a lot of fun and we have some new and exciting activities and resort amenities we'll be adding in the coming months I am sure you will enjoy. Thanks again for choosing our resort for a nice couples escape and we hope to see you again soon.
James J. Horsman
Managing Director
Ship Bottom, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Nothing is less inspiring than bland grandeur in the midst of viral suburbia. Add to this the exaggerated price tag and you have a Landsdowne Resort rip off. To begin: the amenities fee covers their worthless wifi, (it cut out every 15 minutes) and being able to park - a feat for fair feet - as the lot is quite a distance from the door. The rooms are cramped, but referred to as deluxe in the literature. By cramped I mean the two double beds were fulls, not queens; the night stand was squeezed between the beds- so I hit my elbow several times, and a poorly placed full mirror was inaccessible because it was hung in the six inches between one bed and a wall. I gage hotels by how much light filters in beneath each room's door. The more light I see, the more noise I know is coming. And it came - late and relentless. And finally, the water - I may show my age by morphing a quote, but: "don't drink the water." "Why?" "It's spoiled!" Pool water from the tap is my best guess. To be fair, the staff: housekeeping and waitstaff were attentive and friendly. But if you can avoid this Stepford area - save your soul and stay in a B&B .

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank harpnbard
Bryans Road, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Overall, my recent stay at the Lansdowne Resort in Leesburg, VA was mostly pleasant -- especially room rate from the coupon used for this stay.

This recent stay was my (and husband's) fourth with this hotel. My husband loved the scenery and ambiance of Lansdowne so much that he became excited when I received a special offering for the room rate at $79.00 per night -- which also included the $20 resort fee! For a few dollars more (under $10), I upgraded the room to one on a high floor. Did we take advantage of the special? Of course, we did! My husband and I decided to spend the last weekend of December to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

My husband's restaurant so far was the RIverside Hearth, which featured the breakfast buffet. Omelets and Belgian waffles to order, I'll tell you!

However, only two areas need to be tweaked that were different from our previous three stays. One was that (I believe) the front desk clerk did not realize that my room number was announced a bit to publicly -- pointing to written room number to speaking a bit quieter would have been more acceptable to protect privacy. But, the major issue was my in-room dining experience. My order still was not right for my first experience after two tries. My second order, on the other hand, was fine. Although the in-room experience was my first at this hotel, I'll give the in-room dining another try on a future stay.

So...overall, hubby and I had a wonderful time celebrating our anniversary that fell between Christmas and New Years, and we would gladly do the celebration all over again at the Lansdowne Resort.

Room Tip: If Lansdowne has your e-mail address on hand, look for specials for room rates that deliver excellen...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Leesburg
Hampton Inn and Suites Leesburg
Clarion Inn Historic Leesburg
Courtyard by Marriott Dulles Town Center
Springhill Suites Ashburn Dulles North

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!