“Landsdowne resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Leesburg
Alexandria, Virginia
“Landsdowne resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had the opportunity to enjoy Landsdowne resort last weekend after a weeding. we needed car service to the wedding as the shuttle was full, not a problem as the concierge staff had us a nice town car that would be ready upon our arrival as we were running late. Valet did a great job welcoming us and made us feel immediately at home, fronr desk staff were true ambassadors of hospitality and had us ready in minutes. of to the wedding in a flash. We returned that evening and enjoyed in room dining, went down to the lounge for a tasty night cap and ambiance.Staff was outstanding,quality and value is there. Truly a nice stay, my only regret was leaving before we played golf.

Room Tip: upgrade to an alcove suite, well worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Hello Scott W,
Thanks so much for submitting a 5-star review on Tripadvisor. Sounds like you had an amazing weekend with us. Please spread the word to your friends in the Alexandria area as our Northern Virginia resort makes for nice weekend getaways and escapes. Thanks again for your 5-star review and we hope to see you again soon.

James J. Horsman

637 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Feeding Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We drove 8 hours from New England to play Golf @ the Resort. We were greeted and treated... "Like Royalty" upon our arrival! ( Really appreciated that! ) Even despite the rain we experienced... Golf course was AWESOME!!! ( Jim enriched us with the history of the course. That was an added, unexpected bonus!! ) The indoor pool was great and location to shopping & Washington D. C. were outstanding!! Very Happy with the Landsdowne Resort...( Hopefully ) I will have the opportunity to return in the future!!! :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We were guests at the resort over Columbus Day weekend. Our purpose was to attend a wedding at the resort. The room was lovely. Clean with nice amenities. Big plus - bottled water in room was at no additional charge. Lighted, magnifying mirror in dressing area and additional plus. The bathroom though! It was incredibly small and difficult to close the door while using the toilet or showering. We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The food was good however the meal was overpriced at $20 a person. We were not given an option of full buffet or continental although we saw other tables having that. Front desk staff were helpful.
Staff in the bar appeared inexperienced and overwhelmed.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hello bklynred,
Thanks for your recent comments. Your rooms feedback is well taek and we are in the midst of discussions to make a solid update in this area in 2014. In fact, there are many updates, improvements and changes happening here since I arrived four months ago. We will get there, but your feedback in the meantime is much appreciated.

JamesJ. Horsman
Greenville, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Came for a business trip. Wouldn't come back unless I had to.

Pros:
- grounds are beautiful
- hotel seemed clean and well kept
- every staff member I dealt with was friendly and professional

Cons:
- sheets on my bed hadn't been changed! Previous guests' hair, etc was left behind
- room service food bland

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
burke, va
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had booked a package to celebrate our first wedding anniversary in August 2013. I called the hotel in July to confirm my reservation for the room and dinner on Saturday night.

On the morning of our departure to ther esort, I called the restaurant to get some guidance on the dress code. I was advised that the restaurant was closed and they had no information on my dinner reservation at the back-up restaurant, even though I had an e-mail confirmation. I had also received no message regarding the closing of this eatery.

I made a reservation for the back-up restaurante with a manager named Chris. When we got to the restaurant that evening, they had no record of my reservation and was advised that we could not be seated. After several minutes, they gave us the table for a reservation that had not shown up. (Not sure what they would have done if that party came late!)

I ordered one of the fish specials and instead received the fish dinner from the menu, which was prepared totally different from the special So we had to wait even longer for a new meal to be prepared.

The dessert menu was limited and very disappointing.

At breakfast, in a different restaurant, we were seated near some wedding parties and the noise level was incredible. We could not even hold a conversation. There was plenty of empty tables elsewhere but we were not allowed to sit there--not sure why.

Our waiter was so overworked that we had to get our own drinks (coffe, tea, water, creamer, etc) and condiments. Luckily, it was a buffet or we would never have been served. The waiter apologized for not being able to help us out.

When we returned to the dinner restaurant the next day for drinks, the hostess provided me with a free lemonade for our troubles from the night before.

When we finally checked out on Sunday, the toilet would not flush. It just seemed to be a perfect ending to a disappointing stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed at Lansdowne for a family vacation. I found the grounds and building to be quite clean and well put-together. Unfortunately, the service and some amenities fell short of what one should expect of a resort that purports itself to be a five star resort. The service from the staff was highly inconsistent, sometimes warm, sometimes quite cold..and at times seemingly annoyed by requesting a cup of coffee! The restaurant on the terrace is a disaster. The buffet is completely overpriced for the offerings-- the staff was gruff all around in here.
The hot tub at the pool was broken the entire time we were there, completely unacceptable. Trash was left outside on the tables for days, also unacceptable.
On the bright side the rooms were very nice, and the grounds were nice.
In summary, I do not recommend this resort until they have a service overhaul and a complete rework of their culinary services.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Jandr022,
Thanks for your recent review on Tripadvisor. While we strive to achieve five-star status, Lansdowne Resort has been recognized with AAA Four Diamond ratings in every year of our existance. We do not advertise, or list ourselves as five star. But again, we always strive to be in that arena. Your other points are well-taken and I can tell you that since my arrival at this property this past summer, my very top priority is to raise the service standards of this hotel as it is a vital asset in the sucess of any great hotel. I can assure you that a future visit by you will be met with great improvement in this area, and you have my word on it. With that being said, me and my welcoming staff hope to see you and your family again soon, so you can witness those improved service levels.

James J. Horsman
Visalia, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed there four nights and the hotel is located on a 27 hole golf course. The grounds are absolutely beautiful with deers roaming freely. The spa,fitness center, and pubs were great as well. The only bad thing is that some of the restaurants were not open as stated. The wi-fi was splotchy but was free. The coffee and water in room was great. The bathroom area was nice and the rooms were spacious. I only wished the beds would have been a little softer, but they were nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!