“Great Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Leesburg
Virginia Beach VA
“Great Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

A beautiful property. Clean comfortable, spacious rooms. The staff is friendly, professional and really goes out of their way to accommodate guests. The golf courses are great! There are many attractions close enough to make for interesting day trips. The whole family from age 12 to 70 loved it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

644 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Kihei, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The service level in this hotel is extremely high. It is not a cheap hotel...but at least you get good service when you pay such a high price. I have stayed there 3 times. The negative is that you cant walk anywhere so if you dont have a car you are somewhat stuck. They do offer an airport shuttle that you can buy into which is nice. It is an ideal location for corporate meetings...they do them well....but again it isnt cheap.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I volunteered my airline seat while flying with United Airlines. By doing so, United Airlines paid and booked a room at this property. I was pleasantly surprised! The room was very modern, large and clean. There were two nice, clean off white bath robe hanging on the bathroom door. Very large, modern shower and bathroom.
The hotel grounds were well kept. Very nice lobby!
Thank you, United Airlines, for discovering a very nice property for me! I plan to stay again when in the D.C. area. It is about 10-15 minutes from Washington Dulles Airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear psmith61,
Thanks so much for your 5-star review. We value greatly our United Airlines relationship and are the preferred location for distressed passengers. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us although I am sure you would have preferred your flights were not delayed. We are glad you found our Northern Virginia resort to see pleasing to you and hope you will consider staying with us when you can truly enjoy all of our AAA Four-Diamond amenities. Thanks again for your great 5-star review.

James J. Horsman
Managing Director
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night and had a great time. Room was clean, spacious and we had a great night's sleep. He played the Norman course and I went to the spa, which was a nice, relaxing experience. Staff were very friendly and efficient. We ate at the Riverside Hearth for breakfast and that was a very nice buffet. The only thing I noticed was that I could hear running water/bathroom noises through the walls in the room.
The pool area was very nice as well, with an adults only pool and a pool with slides for the children/families.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor which had a nice view!
Green Features: I thought they did a great job with environmental concerns.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manalapan, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I experienced a get away weekend here and were pleasantly greeted and serviced immediately. Our accommodations were clean and comfortable. After a 5 hour drive we were very hungry and enjoyed a wonderful Friday in the Bar area. The entertainment was very good and we were very pleased with the food and service. On Saturday, we ate in the Billit restaurant and were reseved a outside table to watch the sunset. We were greeting by Robin who went out of her way to make my birthday a memorable one.

I highly recommend it for a quiet get away. The firepit was (1) and I would think another could be added for adults. The kids tend to run around it with their marshmellows.

Overall, very wonderful weekend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Jeannie b,
Thanks so much for your fine review of Lansdowne Resort. We appreciate your comments and hope you will share their with your friends, or recommend us for people you know visiting our area. Meantime, we will share your comments with Robin as her and our staff take great pride in providing a wonderful experience for all of our guests. Take care and we hope to see you again soon.

James J. Horsman
Managing Director
Falls Church
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

So far this trip to the Lansdowne Resort has been an abject disaster. Upon arrival at the hotel we were not greeted by staff at the entrance. During check in I was told to "hang on" as something on the screen was "red" and the individual did not know how to proceed until he spoke with a manager.

About an hour after arriving in the room a member of the staff opened the door to the room and walked in. The individual did not apologize, and in fact stated "it's okay" and left.

In addition to the sloppy service so far, the package we booked was completely inaccurate. We booked a package called "Buddy Golf." Upon arrival we were presented with a letter from the hotel stating that we would be able to play any of the three golf courses at the hotel at any time for free. On the morning of our first full day here we were told that in fact two of the golf courses were unavailable until 4pm due to a scheduled tournament. At no time were we advised of a tournament during the booking process, the check in, or the round of golf we played the night before.

When attempting to call to rectify the issue with the golf package it took SIX phone calls to reach the manager who we were told had "stepped out".

This is the first review I have ever placed for any hotel, and I am a frequent business traveler, on the road 5 nights a week around the world.

The food options are severely limited and the quality of the food does not meet the caliber advertised by the resort.

So far this has been a terrible experience. We are no waiting to see what, if anything, the manager will do to solve the problems we have brought to her attention. Based on the six calls so far today, my hopes are not great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Woodbury, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I spent two night there this week. The hotel is very well run, check in/out was easy, plenty of people to help you, clean rooms, comfortable beds, everything was excellent. I was lucky enough to play both golf courses at the resort, the Norman and the RTJIII. They alternate the courses each day for the hotel guests and the course members. There is a great practice facility and I recommend going to the far end of the driving range (lower) and hitting up the hill because you can use the grass area to hit balls. I do not have a favorite of the two courses, both are not "resort" style courses (no wide fairways and forgiving). They are tough, have a high "slope" rating and are visually beautiful. Plenty of grass and the greens were smooth and quick. Bring plenty of balls!!!! This is a wonderful place to stay if you are flying into Dulles International Airport (IAD). It is a 15 minute ride from the airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!