“Nice spa weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Leesburg
Washington DC
“Nice spa weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

I went on a spa weekend at Lansdowne Resort with 5 other girlfriends. It was wonderfully relaxing. We booked the Spa Deluxe weekend package which included a 2 night stay, 2 spa treatments (each 50 minutes), 2 breakfasts, and a wonderful brunch. They also gave us a $15 spa retail credit. It was a really nice time as we didn't have to worry about eating in the morning as the breakfasts were really nice, with a buffet plus grill where you can order waffles &/or omelettes made to order! We enjoyed the spa with facials, massages and body treatments. One of us even got a haircut and had a great experience.

We sat by the pools. They have 3 nice pools, one is adult only. Also, they have a nice fitness center and have some yoga/fitness classes. Only 50 minutes from DC, so far enough away to feel that you are away, yet not too far to drive.

We went to Leesburg for dinner and enjoyed Tuscarora Mill Restaurant. We also checked out the outlet shopping in Leesburg and enjoyed that quite a bit.

• Liked — The food & the spa
  • Disliked — Heard some other guests early in the morning through the room walls
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

570 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Frederick, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

I was there on business for two days. I was really annoyed that everytime they swipe your card, they preauthorize $50. For what??? And they don't even tell you they're doing it. Then it takes them 4 days to remove it. I mean, I went to the bar to order one appetizer, and they automatically charge me $50, then take literally 4 days to remove it? That's ridiculous. Same thing at the reservation desk. They'll swipe your credit card and preauthorize any amount they wish. Besides that, the food wasn't all that great. The rooms were clean, but reservation staff kept trying to blow me off when I called to inquire about why $50 charges were on my account still. Then of course no one in accounting would returm my calls! Unsatisfactory.

Stayed April 2008
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

After reading these reviews (and about the INS raid last week) I was incredibly nervous and even considered canceling our reservations here. I'm glad I didn't.

We had a package thru Travel Zoo which for $149 included a room, 2 rounds of golf (on the 9 hole course) , late checkout and breakfast. It was supposed to include 25% off at the spa but when we got there, weekends were excluded.

Our room was clean and attractive. The staff was friendly if not all that bright. The golf course was beautiful and the golf staff very helpful.

We arrived at breakfast at 10:20 (it closed at 10:30) and it was decimated. There was literally nothing left on the buffet. They allowed us to upgrade to the Sunday Brunch for an extra $15 each, and that was a gorgeous spread.

We were charged a $15 resort fee, and I'm not sure for what but our total was still under $200 including the golf so I didn't press it.

The hotel was fairly noisy with kids running up and down the hall. We also had several early morning wrong numbers but I can't fault the hotel for that.

All in all, we had a nice weekend. I'd go back for the same package, I'm not sure I'd pay more than $200 for just the room.

• Liked — Nice golf course, proximity to Outlet mall
  • Disliked — noisy
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Shreveport, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2008

I attended a four day conference at the Lansdowne Resort at the end of March. I had scheduled the shuttle from the airport ($25 each way and billed directly to my room) and they had my flight information. Unfortunately, because of weather, my flight was about 2-3 hours late. The only info about where to pick up the shuttle was 2H, which I could not find anywhere until I asked the airport information where to get the shuttle.

I called the telephone number on the shuttle e-mail that I had received and got a personal phone with voice mail. Not what I wanted to hear. Called another that I had on my paperwork, rang for three to four minutes with no answer. Finally found a third number that was answered and I was told they had the information about my flight delay and would be arriving soon. About 45 min later the shuttle arrived. Thirty minutes later I was at the resort. I asked about dining because I had not eaten since breakfast because of the flight delays (Dulles has nowhere to eat) and was told they had a restaurant available just past the elevators that I would take to my room.

My room was on the second floor with nice view of the Potomac River and, unfortunately, the roof over the restaurant/convention area. I unpacked and went down for dinner. Unfortunately, the restaurant didn't open until 6:00 and nothing else was open. I went back to my room and took a nap. Went back down around 6:30 and was seated without any information about the dining. It was a nice buffet, but after the long flight, lack of food, I really just wanted a burger, but it was not available.

Bathroom was nice with good towels, sink is a bit far from the edge of the counter so you really have to lean over it if you wear glasses and can't see without them. Shower was nice, but a bit difficult to control the temperature of the water, one nudge this way - very hot, one nudge that way -very cold. Finally found a spot where I could get hot but not scalding water. Robes in the closet.

Television reception was good. Free internet in the room, both wired and wireless that was a good speed. Bed was very comfortable and side chair was also comfortable to sit. Small coffee pot in the room, but didn't use it, not a coffee drinker.

Breakfast buffet was very good - choice of omlets, eggs your way, scrambled off the buffet, bacon, sausage, and various other items. Yoghurt parfaits, Dannon yoghurt, fresh fruit.

Lunch buffet was usually very good, one fish, one chicken, one beef and one other entree. Nice salad bar, excellent choices for desserts - I liked the vanilla bean ice cream with caramel sauce, but they had other very nice desserts all days. They also made hamburgers if you wanted them (didn't see this until the day I left).

Dinner was also good, but you could usually see repeats of the lunches in a new format - for example, they had grilled asparagus at lunch, for dinner it was turned into a mushroom -asparagus ragout (also still good), lunch the next day - another version of the asparagus. They had wild boar one night.

The breaks during the conference were very good, fruit, rolls, yoghurt, coffee, ice cream, peanuts, brownies, cookies, chips, pretzels, etc. Juices, sodas, coffee, tea, etc. I did not go hungry.

Did not use the pool or spa or play golf (the golf course is supposed to be very good). But the hours for the spa were really not conducive to the conference. The spa services did look very nice, though.

So after a bad start, it got progressively better. Staff in the dining room were very nice. I had no problems with theft or housekeeping.

One thing I did notice was it looked like access to the restaurants was not really handicap accessible. You had to walk down a steep stairway to get to the dining facilities. It looked like you could go down via elevator to the golf club house, and then come if from the outside to the restaurant. It didn't look easy.

The meeting room was a bit small for the size of our group, but there were several conferences going on while I was there (three alone for my organization). The room rate included three meals at the buffet. We paid a whole lot less than was was shown on the closet door for one person ($419 a night!!).

• Liked — Food included with the room and the food was good.
  • Disliked — Seemed isolated from everything. Not easy to get other places without spending a lot of money.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

We booked the Romantic Getaway Weekend, replete with champagne, a red rose, breakfast, luxury room, peace, quiet, and luxury robes. The best way to describe all of these amenities is -NOT! No, not one of these things materialized. I wish I had a camera. This is like some refurbished high-rise motel, with OK rooms, extremely noisey, marginal amenities, and a really good price! Our luxury room was missing the coffee pot, had a really hard bed, minimal lighting, was not entirely clean, and was in the range of much lower rated hotels. The wireless internet AND the ethernet cable did not work on either of our computers, and the Tech Business Center they profess to have, had one old Pentium omputer for which one had to compete with 20 businessmen attending meetings. The hotel actually overlooks the rear of a large development, some high rise businesses, and has one of the worst breakfast buffets I have ever had. The room had no robes. The spa was completely booked, and worst of all, the rooms on either side of us were booked for 12 women who were enjoying the advertised "Girls Weekend"--partying until 3 am and up and slamming doors at 5am. This is not a luxury resort. It is just an OK meeting hotel. That's about it. You have other options that are better in the area. See review of the restaruants in Leesburg--which are great. The town is nice, but somewhat commercial. The wineries are worth the drive, esp Tahara overlooking the Potomic, but do not expect to stay at the hotel and relax. You won't be able to, and you would not want to. For a nice day's trip, try Middleburg, a few miles South--well worth it. The countryside to the North is great--to the South west is good, but if you come in from DC, do not expect anything that feels remotely rural. It is overdeveloped and disappointing. No weekend in the lovely VA horse countery here! Go to Middleburg, Warrenton, or outside of Charlottsville.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Facility marginal
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

Nice location, the place is a little shop worn and could use some renovation. The food (all inclusive package) was OK but is conference center food. Nice roaches happily playing on the restroom walls in the middle of the day The one closest to the restaurant.

Someone on the staff went through my wife's briefcase and lifted all of her flash drives and her brand new Ipod. $500. Thank you very much.

So, don't leave anything in the rooms that you want to keep!

Doubtful we will ever visit again.

We are seasoned world travelers and on the move just about every month. We know good service from bad. This place rates OK. I do think it's a touch pricey based on the condition.

Stayed February 2008
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

My husband and I went to a conference at the Landsdowne. After reading mixed reviews, I wasn't too sure what to expect. What a pleasant surprise!!!! The location was more "in town" than out of town. It was in great proximity to good shopping and restaurants, but away enough that you felt like you were secluded. The staff was very welcoming and polite - and were very attentive. The rooms were wonderful and the bed was probably the most comfortable I've ever slept in!!! There was a small coffee maker (only one cup) so that was a little disappointing. The breakfast downstairs was a buffet and it was incredible - the variety was great! The dinner buffets weren't as good - and we only went to the one restaurant. The other ones were a bar and a 5 course restaurant. The views were nice, and the weather was a little warm so we were able to walk the grounds some. I'd love to go back when it's warmer! My husband and I talked about making this "our" place to visit once a year. A def. romantic getaway - I highly recommend it for everyone!!

• Liked — proximity to shopping and restaurants but being a "resort" getaway as well!
  • Disliked — no fridge or big coffee maker in room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!