“Call it 3 1/2 stars” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Charlotte, NC
“Call it 3 1/2 stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Spent one overnight for our wedding anniversary. Got a special on the Alcove suite, which was very spacious and fairly well appointed. Bathroom was not on par with price/caliber of room but no big deal for an overnight.
Booking and front desk staff were very nice. Dinner at Crooked Billet on the patio was actually outstanding (both meals and the view). Pool and service at "adult pool" were terrific too, but prices were way out of whack ($10 for non alcoholic Daiquiri).
Complaints about noise are valid- we were kept up by a very loud party next door (music, yelling) and it took a couple of calls to the front desk and a noise machine before we could get to sleep. Also could not use spa as staff is limited mid week therefore appts. are nearly impossible.
I'd say great for a business conference, might go elsewhere for a romantic getaway next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Every year, my wife's company takes the first or second weekend in August as their company "offsite." Basically, employees and their families get 2 nights paid in a hotel (usually nearish the DC area). That includes the room, an open bar cocktail reception Friday night, a seated banquet with an open bar Saturday night and a per-person stipend to spend around the resort as you please. This is my review of the resort, as someone who got to experience it for free.

My overall impression is that the resort is very nice, if not a bit odd. As in, you find yourself thinking "what is this big resort/golf complex/spa doing in the middle of Leesburg?" It seems out of place, but that doesn't detract from the experience any. From the moment you walk in, the staff is friendly and helpful without being overbearingly so (no one's going to harass you to carry your bags for you, for example).

Room:
The rooms are small and oddly furnished, with a kind of 1960's vibe to them. Obviously decor preferences are very personal, but it's not what I would expect from such a new hotel. The bed is a bed, and the TV's are nice flat-screen Samsungs. Mini fridges would be a nice touch, but were sadly absent. The bathroom is spacious and clean, but again for such a new hotel nothing remarkable. The water pressure in our room was particularly disappointing. On the plus side, the toiletries were both high-quality and plentiful. The hotel also provides free WiFi, which I found serviceable enough (hotel WiFi is notoriously weak, even when you have to pay for it). In general, it's a hotel room that's completely unremarkable in every way. Perfectly fine for sleeping, and comfortable enough for relaxing during the day if that's your prerogative.

Food:
My biggest beef with the dining options is that they were almost too plentiful, as if the hotel wants to create the illusion of choice when there doesn't need to be as much. As a result, a lot of the menu items seemed duplicative, and there was no real indication as to why you should choose one place over another. That said, I'll review the places we visited.

- Riverside Hearth: This is where we had dinner Friday night after the cocktail reception. It's buffet style, and when we placed our reservations early we were quoted a price of $29/person (as I said, we didn't have to "pay" for things, but everything counted against our stipend). Other employees who did not make early reservations claimed to have paid more, something like $40/head. At any price, it wasn't worth it. The menu that night was Italian, and Italian food doesn't do so well in chafing dishes. There was lasagna that was tasty but not actually lasagna, seafood pappardelle that was just noodles and seafood, cold mozzarella sticks, undercooked pizza, and "chicken tenders parmesan" that would have been good if they weren't soggy. The ceasar salad was good. The staff was attentive enough, I guess, though how attentive does a buffet waiter need to be? Come to think of it, we were never offered a refill on our wine, which turned out to be fine because it was $8/glass.

- Stonewalls Tavern: We didn't eat here, but we did come here for drinks and to watch the Nationals game. The staff here was very attentive and accommodating. It's a pretty neat bar, with shuffleboard and Nintendo Wii's set up. Unfortunately (for us), that also made it very kid-friendly, though that abated as the night went on. They had a little live 2-man band playing covers, and they were fine. They took requests, and they even accommodated me going up and singing a song they knew how to play but not sing. Drink prices were all over the map. A Budweiser was only $4.50, but a cocktail could set you back $10+. Like I said we didn't eat, but the menu seemed to be a step or two above standard bar fare, with prices to match. Overall, this was probably our favorite place.

- Crooked Billet/Pub 46 Lounge: This was a case where I'm not even sure which restaurant we were in because there was nothing to distinguish the two. I think we were in the lounge because we were in the bar area, but there was no way to tell. The hostess was perfect, but from there things went downhill. There were approximately 194 servers running around with only a few seated tables, but we sat unattended for 5-10 minutes until the bartender finally came over to take our order. The food, when it finally came, was delicious (get the truffle fries). Portions were gigantic and very reasonably priced for a faux clubhouse at a golf resort, I think $12 for my burger and the same for her comically large club sandwich. Things actually improved when we went outside to spend the rest of the afternoon sipping beers on the lovely porch area. I could pop inside for a couple of refills and receive prompter service than I could at the table, and by this time things were busier than when we arrived. Not a bad experience, per se, but an odd one, and table service was arduously slow given the apparent number of staff on hand.

- Catered Banquet: This isn't something you'd encounter as an average guest, but if you're thinking of having a wedding reception or event here, just know that the banquet food sucks. Bad. To be fair, I've never really expected the food to shine at a 200+ person seated banquet, but this was worse than normal. We both had the chicken dish, which was a flavorless chicken breast wrapped in a flavorless pastry and cooked just enough that it was dry. Others had the steak, which was a fillet served to varying degrees of doneness (not by choice, it was just luck of the draw). Some chose the fish dish and had nothing good to say about it, but that's on them because if you order fish at that kind of event you deserve whatever you get. Dessert was a bland chocolate cake thing with a tasteless whipped topping. The ceasar salad was good, though. Apparently that's something they do well.

Unfortunately it rained on Saturday, so most of our plans were shot and we spent the day just hanging out on the clubhouse porch. Still, I'll review the few things I did experience, along with secondhand accounts from other employees.

- Golf: The resort boasts 45 holes, two championship courses and a little 9-holer. I didn't play, because I was quoted $70 for just nine holes on either of the big courses, which is ridiculous. They also attempted to make a tee-time for a single, which to me is unheard of. I did get to use their practice facility, which was nice because the range balls were free and it's located very close to the main hotel building. All the golf staff I encountered were pleasant, eager to help, and very engaging. The only bummer is that we were hitting off of turf mats, despite there appearing to be three tiers of lush, fully recovered grass. The range is huge, easily 400+ yards, and at the far end I could see golfers hitting balls off of grass. I have no idea how you get down there though, because no one offered an explanation.

- Pool: We didn't bother with the pool but others did, and no one had anything bad to say. There are a ton of them, including a waterfall pool, water slide, kids area, indoor and outdoor hot tubs, etc. There's also a poolside cafe serving drinks and lite fare, and I'm told it was convenient and reasonably priced. If the weather's nice, it's worth checking out.

- Spa: I didn't go to the spa, but I was told by those who did that it was a good experience and not outrageously priced as far as hotel spas go. I just looked, and a spa pedicure is $90, which is double what my wife pays at home. I guess that's to be expected.

- Basketball/Tennis: The resort has basketball and tennis courts on site which, from what I could tell, were free to use and equipment is available. Kind of self explanatory, but I thought it bears mentioning. If you're an active person staying in the Leesburg area, this might be the place for you.

Overall, it was a fine experience, great amenities coupled with at-times wonky service. If you had to stay in the area, I guess I would recommend it, but I'm not going to do backflips over it or anything. It's located close to several of the area's wineries, which is a nice touch and something we took advantage of when we checked out. I think if I had to pay for everything out of pocket, I'd probably knock it down a notch - the value for your money wouldn't be there. Again, that's not to say it's bad, but if I were to pay a premium price, I would expect a premium product.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies overlooking the driving range and have gorgeous views of the valley/foothi...
Green Features: I wasn't aware they had any, beyond the standard optional towel washing that's pretty standard nowadays. They did have their toiletries installed in the shower, which I guess would prevent waste since you can't steal them easily.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was a once fancy establishment that still has some perks, especially if you're a golfer, but the A/C and bedding issues in the room make Lansdowne way overpriced.

Pros
Friendly Staff and Good Service: We couldn't have asked for better service or friendlier staff. We tipped heavily and they deserved it. One of the waiters accidentally spilled water on me and
they rapidly cleaned it up while offering us free drinks. They also effectively set up a wine tour for us that went like a charm.

Not quite the Golf Club Attire: Though the rules are pretty strong, I found these were actually enforced. It's nice to dress up but no one wants the clothes police.

Cons
Room Issues: Quite frankly the rooms are old. This was the major damper of the weekend. Our A/C would only cool part of the room, which did not encompass the bed. This led to insanely uncomfortable temperatures throughout the night. Additionally, the bed and pillows were not even close to comfortable. These two things led to two restless nights. Finally, the set up of the room was odd and led to a difficulty in seeing the decently nice view.

Restaurants and Dining Credits: We ended up losing Dining Credit on the last day because they had incorrectly listed the times the restaurants were open. Though good at times, the food wasn't quite as good as you'd expect an establishment.

Obstructed Views: Parts of the view were nice, but then you'd have massive netting to catch the golf balls. Ruined the ambiance somewhat.

Room Tip: No tip here as the rooms weren't that great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Levi N,
We appreciate your taking to submit your review. We are definitely working toward improving on some of the items you mentioned, so we are well aware. We will definitely return Lansdowne Resort to its rightful place as the preeminent resort in Northern Virginia as we have brought aboard major key leaders, including myself, who are committed to a new Lansdowne, and one you can be proud to visit time and time again. Stay tuned as we restore the glory.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed overnight here to attend a wedding on the grounds. Beautiful location with lots of ambiance, outdoor ceremony was very nice. Reception was held in the ballroom in the golf clubhouse. We were a little tight during the cocktail hour, but the dinner ballroom was quite comfortable. Food was very good.
Hotel grounds are very well-kept. Unfortunately, we were here for one night only and did not get a chance to utilize some of the other hotel amenities, such as the spa, golf or pool. Staff were very attentive.
My biggest complaint had to do with the Stonewall Tavern. The wedding reception ended at midnight and we made our way to the Tavern for a little after-party celebration. As soon as we were seated, the host said they were having last call. It was 12:30 am, which seemed a little early to us. Bottom line, if you're going here for a wedding make sure you bring your own libations for the after-wedding party.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear jam2016,
Thank you for taking time to submit your review via Tripadvisor. Typically, Stonewalls closes at midnight on weekends. Sometimes we walk a fine line between late night noise levels versus remaining open longer in instances such as yours. It is definitely something we discuss and we appreciate your comments as we seek to strike a balance, so all of our guests have a great experience. Please come back when you have more than one night to stay, so you can take advantage of our other resort amenities. The fall is a great time to visit as we feature a winery tour with transportation included. We hope to see you soon.

Westchester, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Just spent 3 nights at the Lansdowne Resport in Leesburg, VA. The resort is beautiful. The staff was VERY friendly and attentive. The resort is clean and well maintained. Very good gym and the pool area is excellent, with separate pools for families (with slides, etc...) and adults that want some peace and quiet. We only ate at the pool, but the food was very good and, as with everything else at the hotel, the service was excellent.

Leesburg was a fun area to visit with lots of history, as well as excellent restaurants and lots of very new shopping areas. There is also an extensive wine region only a short drive from the Resort.

Great trip, would definitely come back and would absolutely recommend Lansdowne Resort!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rob_L223,
Thank you for taking time to submit a 5-star review for Lansdowne Resort via Tripadvisor. We know experiences like yours are the norm, not the exception, so we appreciate your stunning review from what could be known as the silent majority. We know that it is easier to complain rather than praise, so once again, a heart felt thank you for your 5-star review. We hope to see you again soon.

Knoxville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had a great family vacation (2 adults 1 teen) for 8 nights at the Lansdowne Resort. The location is convenient to Dulles and downtown DC (about 45 min non-rush hour). We spent three days sight seeing and the rest on property. The week we were there, the property seemed to be geared to corporate meetings during the week and wedding type events on the weekends. This meant the pools and golf courses were not crowded at all on weekdays even though there are local resident members using them also. Our 2 double room was pretty standard. The staff was quick to accomodate us with a mini fridge upon request. However, we found the mattresses to be very uncomfortable. The food selection at the resort was disappointing. The breakfast buffet is delicious but pricey. The Sunday we arrived was our wedding anniversary, and the front desk recommended the golf club restaurant for dinner (I think because it was the only open option). We were one of three other occupied tables and the kitchen closed at 8pm, so it was a disappointing experience. There are several good off-property restaurants within 15 minutes that we enjoyed much more. My husband played both 18 hole golf courses and raved about how nice they are. My son used and liked the heath club. We all enjoyed the pools and loved the pool cafe staff. The only negative was the maintenance staff needs to do a better job cleaning out leaves and drebris. I had a massage at the spa that was the worst massage I have ever had. The spa facilities are beautiful, but the massuse, who did not introduce herself, was rough and rude. At the end of my treatment, she threw my robe on my back and walked out without saying a word. I was going to book a pedicure for later in the week, but opted to go to a local nail place off property instead. Overall we had a great week with a balance of relaxing and sight-seeing. Our experience wasn't perfect, but the good outweighed the negatives. I would stay at the Landsdown again.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms have nice views of the golf course.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear KnxTNTraveler,
Thank you for submitting your review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your honest feedback as we do everything possible to make the guest experience a positive one. We know you have options when it comes to travel, so we thank you for staying with us for an extended time and offering such a detailed review. While some of the shortcomings are disappointing, I can tell you that we have recently hired a number of key leaders in major positions at the resort, including mine, and we are committed toward making Lansdowne Resort the preeminent resort experience in the DC area.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

20 of my girlfriends and I descended on the Lasdowne Resort this past weekend for a reunion getaway. The location near to Richmond, DC, Baltimore and Dulles airport made it very convenient for everyone from near and far to get there. We had a spacious suite overlooking the river and golf course. The staff took such good care of us. The bellstaff were very helpful with our baggage and helping us get everything on our tour bus for our day of winetasting. The pools, spa and gym were also enjoyed by most if not all of our group and provided great relaxation. At checkout, they allowed us to break up the bill in whatever increments we wanted to pay separately, which was so convenient.

Dinner at the Golf Club (for 25 of us) was a treat - Gemma and Brooke, our lovely waitresses, took our large group in stride and were very accomodating in allowing separate checks for each os us while we enjoyed delicious food overlooking the great view.

There were a couple of small flaws. The front desk didn't have a map for walking/jogging routes of the property and some of us inadvertently walked on the golf course. We were admonished by the staff a bit rudely as we finally found appropriate walking paths. It's not particularly pedestrian friendly. Also the reservations staff were nowhere near as friendly as the on site staff. It was impossible to establish a block of rooms without putting thousands of dollars down, and you were required to cancel reservations a week in advance when the industry standard is 24 hours or less.

I would highly recommend this as a site for groups wanting a fun and relaxing place to reunite.

Room Tip: The suites facing the river are great - you have two adjoining rooms and can easily sleep 9 with 3 r...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Laura G,
Thanks so much for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. Sounds like the girls getaway weekend was a huge success and we appreciate your selecting Lansdowne Resort for such a celebration. Our location is a great advantage for us as we are about 30 minutes from a couple of dozen wineries in Northern Virginia Wine Country and only 45 minutes from all of the historic sites in Washington, DC. Our spa was just named "Best Spa/Best Massage" by I Am Modern magazine, so we are pleased you enjoyed your experience at Spa MInérale. Hopefully, the next girls getaway is not far away as it would be great to see you all enjoying yourself at our resort again soon.

Managing Director

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!