“Weekend Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Westchester, New York, United States
“Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Just spent 3 nights at the Lansdowne Resport in Leesburg, VA. The resort is beautiful. The staff was VERY friendly and attentive. The resort is clean and well maintained. Very good gym and the pool area is excellent, with separate pools for families (with slides, etc...) and adults that want some peace and quiet. We only ate at the pool, but the food was very good and, as with everything else at the hotel, the service was excellent.

Leesburg was a fun area to visit with lots of history, as well as excellent restaurants and lots of very new shopping areas. There is also an extensive wine region only a short drive from the Resort.

Great trip, would definitely come back and would absolutely recommend Lansdowne Resort!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Rob_L223,
Thank you for taking time to submit a 5-star review for Lansdowne Resort via Tripadvisor. We know experiences like yours are the norm, not the exception, so we appreciate your stunning review from what could be known as the silent majority. We know that it is easier to complain rather than praise, so once again, a heart felt thank you for your 5-star review. We hope to see you again soon.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Knoxville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had a great family vacation (2 adults 1 teen) for 8 nights at the Lansdowne Resort. The location is convenient to Dulles and downtown DC (about 45 min non-rush hour). We spent three days sight seeing and the rest on property. The week we were there, the property seemed to be geared to corporate meetings during the week and wedding type events on the weekends. This meant the pools and golf courses were not crowded at all on weekdays even though there are local resident members using them also. Our 2 double room was pretty standard. The staff was quick to accomodate us with a mini fridge upon request. However, we found the mattresses to be very uncomfortable. The food selection at the resort was disappointing. The breakfast buffet is delicious but pricey. The Sunday we arrived was our wedding anniversary, and the front desk recommended the golf club restaurant for dinner (I think because it was the only open option). We were one of three other occupied tables and the kitchen closed at 8pm, so it was a disappointing experience. There are several good off-property restaurants within 15 minutes that we enjoyed much more. My husband played both 18 hole golf courses and raved about how nice they are. My son used and liked the heath club. We all enjoyed the pools and loved the pool cafe staff. The only negative was the maintenance staff needs to do a better job cleaning out leaves and drebris. I had a massage at the spa that was the worst massage I have ever had. The spa facilities are beautiful, but the massuse, who did not introduce herself, was rough and rude. At the end of my treatment, she threw my robe on my back and walked out without saying a word. I was going to book a pedicure for later in the week, but opted to go to a local nail place off property instead. Overall we had a great week with a balance of relaxing and sight-seeing. Our experience wasn't perfect, but the good outweighed the negatives. I would stay at the Landsdown again.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms have nice views of the golf course.
Dear KnxTNTraveler,
Thank you for submitting your review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your honest feedback as we do everything possible to make the guest experience a positive one. We know you have options when it comes to travel, so we thank you for staying with us for an extended time and offering such a detailed review. While some of the shortcomings are disappointing, I can tell you that we have recently hired a number of key leaders in major positions at the resort, including mine, and we are committed toward making Lansdowne Resort the preeminent resort experience in the DC area.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

20 of my girlfriends and I descended on the Lasdowne Resort this past weekend for a reunion getaway. The location near to Richmond, DC, Baltimore and Dulles airport made it very convenient for everyone from near and far to get there. We had a spacious suite overlooking the river and golf course. The staff took such good care of us. The bellstaff were very helpful with our baggage and helping us get everything on our tour bus for our day of winetasting. The pools, spa and gym were also enjoyed by most if not all of our group and provided great relaxation. At checkout, they allowed us to break up the bill in whatever increments we wanted to pay separately, which was so convenient.

Dinner at the Golf Club (for 25 of us) was a treat - Gemma and Brooke, our lovely waitresses, took our large group in stride and were very accomodating in allowing separate checks for each os us while we enjoyed delicious food overlooking the great view.

There were a couple of small flaws. The front desk didn't have a map for walking/jogging routes of the property and some of us inadvertently walked on the golf course. We were admonished by the staff a bit rudely as we finally found appropriate walking paths. It's not particularly pedestrian friendly. Also the reservations staff were nowhere near as friendly as the on site staff. It was impossible to establish a block of rooms without putting thousands of dollars down, and you were required to cancel reservations a week in advance when the industry standard is 24 hours or less.

I would highly recommend this as a site for groups wanting a fun and relaxing place to reunite.

Room Tip: The suites facing the river are great - you have two adjoining rooms and can easily sleep 9 with 3 r...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Laura G,
Thanks so much for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. Sounds like the girls getaway weekend was a huge success and we appreciate your selecting Lansdowne Resort for such a celebration. Our location is a great advantage for us as we are about 30 minutes from a couple of dozen wineries in Northern Virginia Wine Country and only 45 minutes from all of the historic sites in Washington, DC. Our spa was just named "Best Spa/Best Massage" by I Am Modern magazine, so we are pleased you enjoyed your experience at Spa MInérale. Hopefully, the next girls getaway is not far away as it would be great to see you all enjoying yourself at our resort again soon.

Monterey Peninsula
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This beautiful property included good food in their private dining room, and nice bedrooms, but nothing special or memorable. The lobby area was non-descript. The scenery was lovely, but probably because of its large size, nothing seemed personable...no added nice touches or not particularly guest friendly. When we checked in, although the front desk personnel was pleasant, there was no mention of amenities, such as the swimming pools, etc. The only thing mentioned was about all the weddings that were about to happen. The room had nothing but the basics, and the bath did not seem spotless by any means. I wouldn't go out of my way to ever return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear candyo59,
Thank you for taking time to submit your review via Tripadvisor. Your feedback is much appreciated and I can assure you that steps are being taken to address many areas of the resort. We have recently added new leadership in key areas, all with impeccible resort and luxury backgrounds, including myself, who have a vision for where we wish to take this property. It's comments like yours that instill us with the desire to raise the bar and provide the utmost resort experience for all of our guests.

Norfolk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I would have to agree with another reviewer (Laurenl30) that my family and I did question the cleanliness of our rooms during our stay. We stayed in the Presidential Suite and had one additional connecting room: about $1700/night total, on the 9th Floor, 3 balconies facing the valley. I will readily admit to being spoiled so take these comments as you wish. But the suite itself was just “tired” and worn: frayed and marred furniture, carpet stains, and the upholstery was desperately in need of cleaning – stains on pretty much everything; Leaks in master bath ceiling, one sink didn’t work properly, dingy and stained tile in shower…. Despite the room, I will say that everyone connected with the hotel was pleasant and helpful. My children did enjoy the pool area. I played the RTJ II golf course and it was a nice track – nothing special, but an enjoyable round – shot an 83 and I believe it was in the $150 range. Note that the RTJ does not go out to the river: it is routed back to the highway. Only the Norman Course routes to the river. I would suggest to any golfers to get an early round and head out then: I had a 7am tee. The golf club itself appears to be newer than the hotel and everyone there was helpful. They do a lot of business and it was a little crazy at times. The golf club appears to do a brisk rental club business which, in many cases, means you have a lot of people trying golf for the first time… which can be hell if you are an experienced golfer and get paired up with them. I saw rental clubs on many of the carts near me on the range, watched a few shots and knew I would be in trouble. I asked the Starter if he would let me go out ahead of my group and he obliged. I played in a hair over 3 hours. My wife had 3 seperate treatments at the Spa: Massage, Facial, and Pedicure. She indicated that the spa was nice and all the staff were attentive. From my side, the treatments seemed a little expensive (each somewhere in the $200 range) but my wife enjoyed herself so I guess that's all that mattered. We ate in the restaurant in the golf club or ordered room service. The food was always hot, and presented well, but limited in scope and decidedly lack luster. Items for children were also limited, but staff was willing to improvise as needed. Once again, every person we encountered at the hotel was pleasant and appeared competent. However, I can say that we would not return. At that price level, I was expecting much more from the room itself.

Dear My2bassethounds,
Thank you for your review and the great detail you invested to point out every moment of your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback. The Golf Club at Lansdowne is rated a Top 50 in the Mid-Atlantic by a very prestigious golf publication - in fact, we are rated among the Top 5 in the "DC suburbs," so we take great pride in our golf product and making sure our guests and members have a great experience. Play is only allowed for resort guests and members, plus we rotate each course daily to maintain a layout for each, so this definitely keeps pace of play for a round of golf well below the national average regardless of player talent. As for your other comments, I can assure you with a recent infusion of new leadership, including myself, we plan to take the resort to a place it has not realized, so more to come. Thanks again for your review.

upstate ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The website for this resort gives the impression that there are many attractions and lots to do. Also it indicates it is very family friendly. This was not my experience. I stayed there with my extended family for several days. How family friendly is a place that offers no refrigerator or microwave in the rooms and no laundry facilities on site? Our group involved couples with babies and toddlers, and this made managing their meals a misery. Oh, and no restaurants within the facility were open during the week. Room service was available, so one day we ordered three omelet breakfasts...the bill came to $80.00 after room service charges and a tip. Of the five pools so widely advertised, only one was open per day. The playground was small, involved a trek across the parking lot, and featured equipment covered in bugs. One of our family members found empty soda cans from some previous guest under their bed. Upon registering I was asked to present my credit card for " incidentals" SOP, no problem. Then I was asked to initial a paper about resort policies. Only then did I notice that I would be charged a $30.00 fee/day for "resort use" ....hmmm so I could swim in the one pool, I guess! The rooms, even the suites, were average to small in size and felt cramped. Most of the staff was friendly and helpful. The views from some of the rooms were really quite lovely. Not worth a return visit.

Room Tip: Upper floors facing away from roads.
Dear Ionfacs,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I would to address a few of the issues you encountered during your stay. We always have a restaurant open during the week whether it’s Riverside Hearth, On the Potomac, Crooked Billet or Stonewalls and on many days, we have several restaurants available. It is our goal to ensure that all guests have a place to dine for each meal period every day in addition to in room dining which is available daily from 6:00am until midnight. Our aquatic complex is open on Monday – Thursday from 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM and on the weekends from 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM. We only close a pool due to low occupancy or if we’re experiencing problems with the pool. Also, the Indoor pool is open from 5:30AM –9 PM. Our resort fee is $20 per day which covers, internet, water, newspapers, parking and use of the Health Club, pools, plus local and 800 phone calls. I appreciate your comments about our friendly staff and wonderful views and hope that in the future you will return to the resort and allow us the chance to change your impression of us.

Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have been to this hotel a few times over the past year. I can't even say the "quality" has gone downhill because it never had anything of value. But, I will say that the cleanliness and food has become more and more disgusting overtime. This trip I found hairs in the bed sheets and pillows, a soggy carpet next to the air conditioner, dirty/greasy hand prints on doors and walls and to top it off a giant pubic hair on the shower wall.
You will not only be disappointed, you will want to throw up.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hello Laurem I30,
Obviously, not the kind of experience we would want anyone to have at our resort. I prefer to look at the bright side and inform you that we have recently done some cleaning, of personnel, which will address key areas of the resort. These new leaders include myself and you can be assured the bar will be raised significantly, and it all starts with me. I am confident any future visits here will be met with a much more positive perspective.

Managing Director

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!