“Gorgeous Property, but not very personable.” 3 of 5 stars

Lansdowne Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   44050 Woodridge Parkway, Leesburg, VA 20176   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Monterey Peninsula
“Gorgeous Property, but not very personable.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This beautiful property included good food in their private dining room, and nice bedrooms, but nothing special or memorable. The lobby area was non-descript. The scenery was lovely, but probably because of its large size, nothing seemed personable...no added nice touches or not particularly guest friendly. When we checked in, although the front desk personnel was pleasant, there was no mention of amenities, such as the swimming pools, etc. The only thing mentioned was about all the weddings that were about to happen. The room had nothing but the basics, and the bath did not seem spotless by any means. I wouldn't go out of my way to ever return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear candyo59,
Thank you for taking time to submit your review via Tripadvisor. Your feedback is much appreciated and I can assure you that steps are being taken to address many areas of the resort. We have recently added new leadership in key areas, all with impeccible resort and luxury backgrounds, including myself, who have a vision for where we wish to take this property. It's comments like yours that instill us with the desire to raise the bar and provide the utmost resort experience for all of our guests.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Norfolk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I would have to agree with another reviewer (Laurenl30) that my family and I did question the cleanliness of our rooms during our stay. We stayed in the Presidential Suite and had one additional connecting room: about $1700/night total, on the 9th Floor, 3 balconies facing the valley. I will readily admit to being spoiled so take these comments as you wish. But the suite itself was just “tired” and worn: frayed and marred furniture, carpet stains, and the upholstery was desperately in need of cleaning – stains on pretty much everything; Leaks in master bath ceiling, one sink didn’t work properly, dingy and stained tile in shower…. Despite the room, I will say that everyone connected with the hotel was pleasant and helpful. My children did enjoy the pool area. I played the RTJ II golf course and it was a nice track – nothing special, but an enjoyable round – shot an 83 and I believe it was in the $150 range. Note that the RTJ does not go out to the river: it is routed back to the highway. Only the Norman Course routes to the river. I would suggest to any golfers to get an early round and head out then: I had a 7am tee. The golf club itself appears to be newer than the hotel and everyone there was helpful. They do a lot of business and it was a little crazy at times. The golf club appears to do a brisk rental club business which, in many cases, means you have a lot of people trying golf for the first time… which can be hell if you are an experienced golfer and get paired up with them. I saw rental clubs on many of the carts near me on the range, watched a few shots and knew I would be in trouble. I asked the Starter if he would let me go out ahead of my group and he obliged. I played in a hair over 3 hours. My wife had 3 seperate treatments at the Spa: Massage, Facial, and Pedicure. She indicated that the spa was nice and all the staff were attentive. From my side, the treatments seemed a little expensive (each somewhere in the $200 range) but my wife enjoyed herself so I guess that's all that mattered. We ate in the restaurant in the golf club or ordered room service. The food was always hot, and presented well, but limited in scope and decidedly lack luster. Items for children were also limited, but staff was willing to improvise as needed. Once again, every person we encountered at the hotel was pleasant and appeared competent. However, I can say that we would not return. At that price level, I was expecting much more from the room itself.

Dear My2bassethounds,
Thank you for your review and the great detail you invested to point out every moment of your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback. The Golf Club at Lansdowne is rated a Top 50 in the Mid-Atlantic by a very prestigious golf publication - in fact, we are rated among the Top 5 in the "DC suburbs," so we take great pride in our golf product and making sure our guests and members have a great experience. Play is only allowed for resort guests and members, plus we rotate each course daily to maintain a layout for each, so this definitely keeps pace of play for a round of golf well below the national average regardless of player talent. As for your other comments, I can assure you with a recent infusion of new leadership, including myself, we plan to take the resort to a place it has not realized, so more to come. Thanks again for your review.

upstate ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The website for this resort gives the impression that there are many attractions and lots to do. Also it indicates it is very family friendly. This was not my experience. I stayed there with my extended family for several days. How family friendly is a place that offers no refrigerator or microwave in the rooms and no laundry facilities on site? Our group involved couples with babies and toddlers, and this made managing their meals a misery. Oh, and no restaurants within the facility were open during the week. Room service was available, so one day we ordered three omelet breakfasts...the bill came to $80.00 after room service charges and a tip. Of the five pools so widely advertised, only one was open per day. The playground was small, involved a trek across the parking lot, and featured equipment covered in bugs. One of our family members found empty soda cans from some previous guest under their bed. Upon registering I was asked to present my credit card for " incidentals" SOP, no problem. Then I was asked to initial a paper about resort policies. Only then did I notice that I would be charged a $30.00 fee/day for "resort use" ....hmmm so I could swim in the one pool, I guess! The rooms, even the suites, were average to small in size and felt cramped. Most of the staff was friendly and helpful. The views from some of the rooms were really quite lovely. Not worth a return visit.

Room Tip: Upper floors facing away from roads.
Dear Ionfacs,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I would to address a few of the issues you encountered during your stay. We always have a restaurant open during the week whether it’s Riverside Hearth, On the Potomac, Crooked Billet or Stonewalls and on many days, we have several restaurants available. It is our goal to ensure that all guests have a place to dine for each meal period every day in addition to in room dining which is available daily from 6:00am until midnight. Our aquatic complex is open on Monday – Thursday from 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM and on the weekends from 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM. We only close a pool due to low occupancy or if we’re experiencing problems with the pool. Also, the Indoor pool is open from 5:30AM –9 PM. Our resort fee is $20 per day which covers, internet, water, newspapers, parking and use of the Health Club, pools, plus local and 800 phone calls. I appreciate your comments about our friendly staff and wonderful views and hope that in the future you will return to the resort and allow us the chance to change your impression of us.

Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have been to this hotel a few times over the past year. I can't even say the "quality" has gone downhill because it never had anything of value. But, I will say that the cleanliness and food has become more and more disgusting overtime. This trip I found hairs in the bed sheets and pillows, a soggy carpet next to the air conditioner, dirty/greasy hand prints on doors and walls and to top it off a giant pubic hair on the shower wall.
You will not only be disappointed, you will want to throw up.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hello Laurem I30,
Obviously, not the kind of experience we would want anyone to have at our resort. I prefer to look at the bright side and inform you that we have recently done some cleaning, of personnel, which will address key areas of the resort. These new leaders include myself and you can be assured the bar will be raised significantly, and it all starts with me. I am confident any future visits here will be met with a much more positive perspective.

Linwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I had occasion to visit Lansdowne Resort on the weekend of July 13th. There I had an amazing meal at On the Potomac. The shrimp and grits appetizer was superb. Being from the north, and knowing nothing about grits, I was pleased when our waiter, Larry, suggested we try. We also sampled the short-rib and the lobster mac and cheese with the others at the table: all equally yummy.

For entree, I had a pacific bass; a well-designed dish for the summer. It was light and flavorful.

The chefs as well as restaurant manager checked in with the table to make certain that all were enjoying the fare.

The view from the restaurant was lovely. I have been to several such places and have rarely seen grounds so beautifully maintained. We were pleased to walk and listen to the live music after dinner.

All in all, we were treated to a great weekend and I hope to visit again shortly.

Room Tip: Our room faced the golf course and had a lovely view of the valley.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear glenndramavocals,
Thank you so much for taking time to submit a 5-star review for Lansdowne Resort on Tripadvisor. That's great your first experience with grits was a positive one. It is definitely an acquired taste, but when prepared well, it can be delightful, as it was for you. I'm pleased to hear your stay was an excellent one. Please spread the word about our Northern Virginia retreat.

Bowie, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

After seeing so many negative reviews posted after this year's 4th of July weekend, I wanted to provide a different perspective. My family visited the resort over the 4th (2 kids, 2 adults) and had a WONDERFUL time. Yes it was busy, but the staff was so accommodating we barely noticed. Thank you to Jen, Brandon, and all the recreation staff - my kids had a blast! Any request we had (and unfortunately there were many) were accommodated quickly. If food was ordered, it never took more than 20 minutes. Yes the pools were busy, but that goes without saying in the middle of the summer! People should plan accordingly. And the resort put out extra umbrellas on Saturday (7/6) due to the volume of guests/members. The fireworks show was AMAZING! What a wonderful way to end a vacation. We had purchased a s'mores kit for that night, but they didn't turn on the fire pit due to the fireworks crowd. They promptly gave me a credit and then told me to keep the kit! How nice!

The only downside is the room. I find this to be the most perplexing thing about this resort. The rooms (double room - standard) are TINY! The bathroom is extremely TINY! You can barely get one person in and shut the door! I actually hurt my foot trying to shut the door. The fixtures are nice, but the space is so small!

Secondly, I would strongly recommend, if the resort really wants families with kids to spend time (and money) there in summers, get some additional kid-friendly TV stations! Cartoon Network doesn't do it! Where's Nickelodeon or Disney channel?

And when we checked in, there was a spider in our bathtub! Eww! Not sure how long it had been when that room had been cleaned/used... I had brought my own cleaners, so I just cleaned our bathroom and kept rolling...

Yes, Lansdowne is expensive, and yes it was busy over that weekend, but never once did I find the staff overwhelmed or underperforming. Great visit! My kids are already ready to return!

Dear TravelMom_Bowie,
We appreciate your taking time to submit your review on Tripadvisor. Our July 4th weekends are always a lot of fun and we do our best to make it a great experience for all of our guests. Your feedback is very important to us as we seek to improve the property each year. We are definitely looking to impact the resort in a positive wya moving forward and your comments will assist us in achieving those goals. We hope to see you again soon.

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Middle of the road. AC problems were all across our group. Service was very good. Facilities were good, not great, but overall a nice facility. Golf course great. Pools highly over rated in the advertising. Food - fair.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Bill M,
Thank you for your review via Tripadvisor. Your comments are well-taken and we appreciate the feedback. The Resort has recently added numerous key leaders and personnel (myself included) who are more than committed to improvements here in all areas, including the ones you have highlighted.

Managing Director

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!