“Wonderful 4th Getaway!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Bowie, MD
“Wonderful 4th Getaway!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

After seeing so many negative reviews posted after this year's 4th of July weekend, I wanted to provide a different perspective. My family visited the resort over the 4th (2 kids, 2 adults) and had a WONDERFUL time. Yes it was busy, but the staff was so accommodating we barely noticed. Thank you to Jen, Brandon, and all the recreation staff - my kids had a blast! Any request we had (and unfortunately there were many) were accommodated quickly. If food was ordered, it never took more than 20 minutes. Yes the pools were busy, but that goes without saying in the middle of the summer! People should plan accordingly. And the resort put out extra umbrellas on Saturday (7/6) due to the volume of guests/members. The fireworks show was AMAZING! What a wonderful way to end a vacation. We had purchased a s'mores kit for that night, but they didn't turn on the fire pit due to the fireworks crowd. They promptly gave me a credit and then told me to keep the kit! How nice!

The only downside is the room. I find this to be the most perplexing thing about this resort. The rooms (double room - standard) are TINY! The bathroom is extremely TINY! You can barely get one person in and shut the door! I actually hurt my foot trying to shut the door. The fixtures are nice, but the space is so small!

Secondly, I would strongly recommend, if the resort really wants families with kids to spend time (and money) there in summers, get some additional kid-friendly TV stations! Cartoon Network doesn't do it! Where's Nickelodeon or Disney channel?

And when we checked in, there was a spider in our bathtub! Eww! Not sure how long it had been when that room had been cleaned/used... I had brought my own cleaners, so I just cleaned our bathroom and kept rolling...

Yes, Lansdowne is expensive, and yes it was busy over that weekend, but never once did I find the staff overwhelmed or underperforming. Great visit! My kids are already ready to return!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear TravelMom_Bowie,
We appreciate your taking time to submit your review on Tripadvisor. Our July 4th weekends are always a lot of fun and we do our best to make it a great experience for all of our guests. Your feedback is very important to us as we seek to improve the property each year. We are definitely looking to impact the resort in a positive wya moving forward and your comments will assist us in achieving those goals. We hope to see you again soon.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Middle of the road. AC problems were all across our group. Service was very good. Facilities were good, not great, but overall a nice facility. Golf course great. Pools highly over rated in the advertising. Food - fair.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Bill M,
Thank you for your review via Tripadvisor. Your comments are well-taken and we appreciate the feedback. The Resort has recently added numerous key leaders and personnel (myself included) who are more than committed to improvements here in all areas, including the ones you have highlighted.

Newport News, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My family enjoyed our stay at Lansdowne Resort. It was relaxing. The food was exceptional. Leesburg is a little over 3 hours away from our home. I was excited to know that such a lovely place existed in Virgina and was nearby. The landscaping was a thing of beauty.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Carrs3,

We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your visit to Lansdowne. How wonderful that you were able to escape the everyday during your stay. We appreciate that you took time to share your experience with us and we certainly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Chantilly, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Found out from a friend that they were having live music, BBQ and fireworks on the 6th. I decided to book a room there and get away for the weekend. We really enjoyed the evening... Just 2 things that stopped me from giving an excellant rating. (1) The food in the restaurants was way too expensive and (2) The room would get a little stuffy when the AC reached the desired temperature. There was no setting to leave the fan running.

Dear Zack K,

Thank you for spending your weekend at the resort as Lansdowne Celebrates America. We’re delighted to read that you enjoyed the celebration, but was deeply disappointed you felt our food was not a good value. I will also pass on your comment about your room being stuffy when the air conditioning reached the desired temperature to our Director of Facilities. We hope you’ll come back for another visit.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed during the resort's "Lansdowne Celebrates America" weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and event. Fireworks were amazing and the selection of food and drinks was outstanding. I did not get a chance to play golf, but the facility looks great. I will definitely return when I have more time to enjoy the resort and all of its amenities, including the spa.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear TravelingGolferUSa,

Wow! It sounds like you enjoyed a perfectly relaxing weekend getaway at Lansdowne Resort. We are so glad that you enjoyed our “amazing” fireworks and got to experience a number of resort amenities during your trip. I hope on your return visit that you will be able to experience our golf facility and spa – you won’t be disappointed. Thank you for sharing your feedback. We would love to welcome you back soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We arrived on Sunday afternoon the 30th and the ac was broken. It was eventually fixed that evening. We were told we would only be charged half price for our room. I mistakenly thought that meant for our entire stay. The toilet didn't flush Monday morning and they fixed it. The toilet didn't flush again on Thursday morning and they worked on it. Then on Friday morning when it didn't work again we decided they really couldn't fix it. On Thursday, we didn't receive wash clothes and they were delivered pretty quickly after I called the front desk.

The bed is lumpy and the pillows aren't good.

Also, when you check in you must sign an agreement that says if you check out before your scheduled time you will be financially penalized.

Overall, it wasn't a great experience, which is what I expected staying at and paying the price for a 'Resort'.

Dear WonderfulWanda123,

I’d like to apologize on behalf of the resort for some of the issues that occurred during your recent stay. It is our goal to provide each guest with exceptional service. Although we are vigilant in our maintenance at Lansdowne, such problems often present themselves without warning. We are so sorry your stay did not exceed your expectations and regret any and all inconvenience. It is our hope that you’ll consider a return visit to our resort so that we may change your impression. Thank you.

Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Let me start by saying I will not book here again on a fourth of July weekend. The hotel was just not prepared. I wanted to get away with my wife for a couple of days to relax and enjoy some pool time. We arrived on Saturday at noon and were told our room was not ready. No problem, we were early, so we changed and went to the pool. There was not a chair to be found since "all pools" are open to members of the golf club. I asked if there was a pool for hotel guests and the answer was "no". They have 4 pools but they were all packed.
We were referred to a nice little restuarant called "Not your average Joes" a couple of miles from the hotel. Excellent Food!! We came back to try our luck at the pool again. Finally with the help of a lifeguard, we secured two chairs but there was food littered all over the place. I heard later that the hotel set a record that day for food and drinks sold at the pool. The club members are probably used to it but as a hotel guest I felt like a second class citizen and the rooms are not cheap. Finally at 5:30 we got we got into our room and things started looking up. I wish I could remember the name of the nice young lady at the front desk that helped me get a room. (started with an "H"). We were told when we booked the trip that there was a public fireworks display on Saturday night so it was no surprise when all of Leesburg showed up at the hotel. It was fun, we met some nice people and the band was excellent! Most of the hotel guests left on Sunday so we had a nice time at the pool. Breakfast was tough on Sunday as we were told our only option was a $24 buffet. Today we were told we had a choice of a full buffet or we could order off the menu. Not sure why it changes from day to day. The hotel room was not fancy but it was clean. I do want to say the the hotel staff is very friendly. They were over whelmed on Saturday but kept there cool. Someone at the top needs to remember that you are not only a resort but also a hotel. I would find a way to seperate your hotel guests from the club members on busy days so we can use the pool. It was not a good way to start the weekend at a four star resort. I am not used to giving a bad review but no one in the hotel seemed to have an answer on taking care of their guests on Saturday.

Dear Rtaylor,

We greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback. It is truly disappointing to read it was not the experience you deserved or expected. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the fireworks, met some nice people and that you had a chance to experience a day by the pool on Sunday. Thank you so much for recognizing that our team members were very friendly and welcoming. We are so sorry your stay did not exceed your expectations and regret any and all inconvenience. Our goal is to provide each guest with exception service. I hope that in the future you will return to the resort and allow us the chance to change your impression of the resort. Thank you.

Warmest regards,
Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Leesburg
#6 of 7 in Leesburg
3.5 of 5 stars 188 reviews
Springhill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Courtyard by Marriott Dulles Town Center

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!