“Probably okay if you have kids. - otherwise find some place else.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Lansdowne Resort

Save Saved
You added Lansdowne Resort to your Saves list
Lansdowne Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   44050 Woodridge Parkway, Leesburg, VA 20176   |
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Leesburg
Atlanta, Georgia
“Probably okay if you have kids. - otherwise find some place else.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We arrived on Sunday afternoon the 30th and the ac was broken. It was eventually fixed that evening. We were told we would only be charged half price for our room. I mistakenly thought that meant for our entire stay. The toilet didn't flush Monday morning and they fixed it. The toilet didn't flush again on Thursday morning and they worked on it. Then on Friday morning when it didn't work again we decided they really couldn't fix it. On Thursday, we didn't receive wash clothes and they were delivered pretty quickly after I called the front desk.

The bed is lumpy and the pillows aren't good.

Also, when you check in you must sign an agreement that says if you check out before your scheduled time you will be financially penalized.

Overall, it wasn't a great experience, which is what I expected staying at and paying the price for a 'Resort'.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear WonderfulWanda123,

I’d like to apologize on behalf of the resort for some of the issues that occurred during your recent stay. It is our goal to provide each guest with exceptional service. Although we are vigilant in our maintenance at Lansdowne, such problems often present themselves without warning. We are so sorry your stay did not exceed your expectations and regret any and all inconvenience. It is our hope that you’ll consider a return visit to our resort so that we may change your impression. Thank you.

620 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Let me start by saying I will not book here again on a fourth of July weekend. The hotel was just not prepared. I wanted to get away with my wife for a couple of days to relax and enjoy some pool time. We arrived on Saturday at noon and were told our room was not ready. No problem, we were early, so we changed and went to the pool. There was not a chair to be found since "all pools" are open to members of the golf club. I asked if there was a pool for hotel guests and the answer was "no". They have 4 pools but they were all packed.
We were referred to a nice little restuarant called "Not your average Joes" a couple of miles from the hotel. Excellent Food!! We came back to try our luck at the pool again. Finally with the help of a lifeguard, we secured two chairs but there was food littered all over the place. I heard later that the hotel set a record that day for food and drinks sold at the pool. The club members are probably used to it but as a hotel guest I felt like a second class citizen and the rooms are not cheap. Finally at 5:30 we got we got into our room and things started looking up. I wish I could remember the name of the nice young lady at the front desk that helped me get a room. (started with an "H"). We were told when we booked the trip that there was a public fireworks display on Saturday night so it was no surprise when all of Leesburg showed up at the hotel. It was fun, we met some nice people and the band was excellent! Most of the hotel guests left on Sunday so we had a nice time at the pool. Breakfast was tough on Sunday as we were told our only option was a $24 buffet. Today we were told we had a choice of a full buffet or we could order off the menu. Not sure why it changes from day to day. The hotel room was not fancy but it was clean. I do want to say the the hotel staff is very friendly. They were over whelmed on Saturday but kept there cool. Someone at the top needs to remember that you are not only a resort but also a hotel. I would find a way to seperate your hotel guests from the club members on busy days so we can use the pool. It was not a good way to start the weekend at a four star resort. I am not used to giving a bad review but no one in the hotel seemed to have an answer on taking care of their guests on Saturday.

Dear Rtaylor,

We greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback. It is truly disappointing to read it was not the experience you deserved or expected. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the fireworks, met some nice people and that you had a chance to experience a day by the pool on Sunday. Thank you so much for recognizing that our team members were very friendly and welcoming. We are so sorry your stay did not exceed your expectations and regret any and all inconvenience. Our goal is to provide each guest with exception service. I hope that in the future you will return to the resort and allow us the chance to change your impression of the resort. Thank you.

Alburtis, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband, toddler son and I just visited the Landsdowne Resort for our second time after a not so enjoyable stay last year. 2 nights of our stay were complimentary of the hotel management. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived in our room, there was a note from hotel management and a tray with chocolate covered strawberries, chocolates and spring water. It was a nice personal touch and we greatly appreciated it. We were only on the 2nd floor so when we opened our window it was literally paralell with a roof so it was not so pleasant. Our corner king room upgrade was just a pane of glass away from the roof covered in stones and a satellite dish. Our first visit we were dissatisfied with the noise from other rooms, the extremely uncomfy beds, the worn out chairs in the Riverside Hearth, the smell in our room, and the staff in the pool/gym area leaving a pair of dirty underwear in the walkway and not addressing it. Getting a corner king room this time definitely helped with the noise level however, the walls are still thin so we did hear our neighbors next door. The smell in the room this time was not smokey or musty and there was a nice scent throughout the hotel - it smelled like pina colada. The Riverside Hearth was completely redecorated and looks wonderful, no more worn down cracked leather chairs. Nice job! The breakfast buffet there is outstanding. The beds are still "springy" and not very comfortable. The room decor is fine but the lighting is still dim. The corner king room did help with more natural light into the room. The bathroom is nice with slate and tile. We did have a few issues at the pool - we waited over an hour and half for lunch that we ordered and kept asking the staff to check on it and it never arrived. I eventually went up myself and found that they just never brought the order out to us. The manager made us another meal and did not charge us for it and also gave us free lunch the next day. That was very nice. One of the days my husband and I noticed a trail of blood on the stones and into the men's room. It was a lot of blood...someone must have cut their foot. We reported it right away. The staff just really didn't seem to concerned.... Unfortunately, after over an hour - the blood was still there. I cringed watching people walk around in their bare feet all over it. I eventually after some time went and reported it again. The reaction was the same - like it was no big deal... Has to be some kind of hazard, at least put cones out. Finally a staff member came out and cleaned the stones but no one ever cleaned the bathroom where the blood was leading to - this should have been addressed right away - someone else with a open or broken skin on the feet could be stepping in someone else's blood- quite gross. Other than that - we enjoyed our stay. It is a nice resort and in a great location, there are tons of amenities and activities at the pool. We will most likely return again. I just think that the staff needs to pay a little more attention to detail. Maybe because I am an office manager, I expect things to be addressed immediately, but in my opinion - they should be. The staff in the pool and gym area are young and I believe this is the problem with laxed attitude. Some coaching is definitely needed. I deal with complaints all day and no matter how minor you think it is or you just don't feel like doing it - YOU HAVE TO. A manager should be walking the pool area every hour or so to check to see if anything needs addressed. I never saw anyone. The mattresses should be replaced and something should be done with the party walls between rooms to help the noise level.

Room Tip: Corner King Room on High Floor
Dear Felicia N,
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Lansdowne Resort and the amenity that was selected just for you. I’m glad you noticed the renovation of the Riverside Hearth, we are thrilled with the outcome. On the other hand I am terribly disappointed about the issue you encountered at the pool, which I will address with our Health Club Manager. I am not certain how this could have happened, but the staff at the pool should have immediately taken care of the problem. We appreciate your honesty and hope that you will join us again in the future as we are committed to making your stay exceptional.

Chantilly, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We loved our stay at Lansdowne Resort! That said, while the resort and pools are gorgeous the rooms and food options need some improvements. Our kids loved the three large outdoor pools and the water slide. We loved the beautiful grounds and view to look around. There were very few food options. For example, the only breakfast offering was fine dining with the buffet price at $22/person. There was no café or snack type dining available unless you got in your car to drive out to Panera or Starbucks. They did however have free coffee available at the entry to the dining room. The beds in the room were some of the least comfortable I've been in for a long time. They sagged at the side and the doubles were way too small for a couple. We were there for July 4th and the festivities, music and fireworks was a very nice event! Overall we enjoyed our stay, just not the room. (we did try to upgrade to a suite but they were all booked) Lastly, our check in was not available until 4:30. Awkward but not a show stopper.

Room Tip: Avoid the double beds - they are too small for two people.
Dear mgc555,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay at Lansdowne Resort. While we are certainly pleased to read that you enjoyed a great stay, we are disappointed to read that the food options and rooms need improvement. Please accept our apologies if your accommodations were amiss in anyway. We greatly appreciate your kind understanding and are thankful to learn it did not detract from your overall experience. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, it is our hope to welcome you again in the near future!

Gainesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have visited Landsdowne twice a year for the last five years, with our teens and as a quick romantic getaway alone. It has slowly gone down hill each year. The place is now looking worn, and aged with dingy stained carpets and the rooms are worn out looking with old TV, etc. Our room had a strong odor to it, which the front desk told us was the cleaning agents. The pool was so packed we could not find two lounge chairs together, because the pool is open to the golf club members, so basically the public. There used to be a designated adult pool, but that is now gone, so we had kids splashing all around us. I don't believe in charging resort fees if you can't enjoy the resort. I have twins and I used to be the parent bringing them to the pool all day, but its just too much there now. This was fourth of July weekend and there was a fireworks show on Saturday night, which we did not know about, it was open to the public, so it was a zoo trying to get back to the hotel and try and find parking. They placed our room next to the crew that put on the show, with comped rooms I assume. We finally had to call security at 1:00 am in the morning they were so loud and inconsiderate, going from room to room and slamming their doors. then they woke at 7:00 am and were even louder this went on the whole weekend. I believe when you pay for your room, maybe you are more respectful of others and their experience as well as your own. This is a group, convention, wedding, family, event destination and should not be marketed as a romantic getaway, because there is nothing romantic about it now, as a couple we simply don't bring in the big bucks they want. The spa was nice and not crowded, but its over priced and it is not worthy of a splurge. I won't get a massage there any more because last summer when I got one, the table was moving a lot and I kept thinking it was going to collapse with me on it, so I was unable to relax. I told the masseuse about this and he said all the tables were in use and that he was sorry. I felt I should have gotten a free massage it was so bad. We are military and savor our weekends away, we like to relax and splurge a little, but we honestly could not wait to leave. we have been there on less busy weekends and it was better but it has changed from when we first began going. The food...overpriced and not great. we have given up ordering room service it was so bad, and cold and the café/bar is bad too. The breakfast buffet is about the only nice thing and no one really goes into the gym if you want to workout. The live music and concerts are fun but we are done with Landsdowne and moving on to new resorts...sad, it used to be a great place for us..

Dear Ktarman,

Thank you for being loyal guests of Lansdowne. I would like extend my sincerest apologies on behalf of my staff for the less than pleasurable stay you experienced. I am deeply disheartened to read that your stay with us would not inspire a return visit and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Our goal is to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own high standards. I regret if any noise disturbed you during your time with us. We want our guests to experience a quiet and restful sleep during their stay. Your valued feedback will be shared with our management team to ensure we continue to put our guests first. We hope you'll reconsider giving us another chance in the future so that we may change your impression. Again, thank you for your honesty.

Springfield, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

If we had traveled as a family, this would have been just fine. Who cares that the pool (all of them, including the "relaxation" pool) is swarming with children, if some of them are yours? Who cares that the rooms are a bit threadbare and dated, if your kids are going to be jumping around? Who cares that the place is way too crowded for the number of staff, as long as there's plenty of activities to keep the kids busy?

We are a thirty-something couple who just wanted a weekend away from the city in close proximity to the wineries so we could get some pampering and quiet time. We had a nice trip, but it was in spite of the hotel, not because of it. The room was dated, dark, and not well-designed. If I listed all the little things that made it less-than-stellar, it would seem petty (...so there are no light fixtures in the hallway of the room, making it impossible to use the closet...okay, there are no towel racks in the bathroom, whatever...hmm, it would have been nice if there was a nightstand on both sides of the bed, no biggie...) If this had been a $100 room, then whatever, but at $250+ a night, I expect a minimum of comfort. The bed was rock hard, the pillows were teeny-tiny and limited in number, and the comforter was just a thin blanket sandwiched between two scratchy flat sheets. We woke up every morning to the screams of the toddlers next door -- and we could hear every word they said with sparkling clarity. We also heard a number of other "conversations" from the adjoining rooms with disturbing clarity as well.

We ventured to the pool twice, and spent our time trying to keep our books out of the splash zone of the OVERWHELMING number of people (mainly kids). We tried On the Potomac (their nicer restaurant?), but were turned off by the poor service, horrible fish-market smell, and lackluster ambience. We left before we ordered -- it was that bad.

Just keep in mind that this resort doubles as a country club and hosts numerous summer camps for kids in the community, so hotel guests are not a priority. We came back from dinner out one night and COULDN'T EVEN GET ONTO THE PROPERTY. They were hosting a fireworks show, and the place was mobbed. They host this event every summer -- they couldn't have tipped us off with a letter in the morning to keep our car on property or allow extra time to get back? Or provided more staff to do valet? Or reserved parking for hotel guests only? I completely resented having to walk A MILE from our car to the hotel. What the heck am I paying for? The fireworks show was nice, and we enjoyed being able to watch it from the balcony of our room, overlooking the driving range, but our enjoyment was tempered by the frantic rush to try to make it back in time after searching for parking for twenty minutes (we ended up at an office building down the road).

The only bright spot was the spa, which was comfortable and well appointed. The services were luxurious and the staff was friendly, unobtrusive, and very good at their work. But overall, we'll be looking elsewhere the next time we're in the area. It's too bad there aren't more nice, luxury-level hotels in this area -- for those of us who aren't into the B&B thing, there are really limited options in the Leesburg area.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms overlooking the driving range are great if you're there for the fireworks. The ro...
Green Features: They were environmentally friendly? There was nothing at all in the hotel that suggested this.
Dear IzziGirlAbroad,

Thank you for taking the time out to comment on your recent stay with us. I would like extend my sincerest apologies on behalf of my staff for the less than pleasurable stay you experienced.
I’d like to start off by saying that I am glad that you had a positive experience in Spa Minérale. That being said, it disappoints me to hear about your experience with our July 6th fireworks celebration. You should have been informed of all aspects of the celebration including parking. I regret that you had to park at an office building down the street. I will be sure to speak with our Rooms director to avoid a similar situation from happening next year. It is our intention to provide each and every guest the best experience possible. Please be assured that your review will be shared with our management team to ensure that we continue to put our guests first.

Newtown Square
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

When we arrived, the air conditioning was broken. Kristin discounted our first night's stay 50% and offered us a free night in the future. Our stay was very relaxing, and we will return in August. My husband would love a small in and out kiosk in the lobby where you could grab a fast breakfast of coffee and Danish in the morning and ice cream or snacks in the afternoon, also maybe grab and go snacks.

Room Tip: We usually book 2 adjoining rooms, which have two full beds in one room and a king in the other. Thi...
Green Features: Love the no smoking policy. Would prefer shampoo in bottles instead of on wall. Hard to manage for me.
Dear Walter B,
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found it very relaxing. Thank you for sharing your comments. Please accept my apologies for the problems we were having with the air conditioning; I am glad we were able to resolve the issue quickly. Thank you so much for choosing us and for your recommendation of a kiosk in the lobby. I will certainly take your recommendation into consideration. We look forward to your return visit soon.

Managing Director

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!