“Very nice property- but they need to work on staff training.” 3 of 5 stars

Lansdowne Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   44050 Woodridge Parkway, Leesburg, VA 20176   |
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Leesburg
Maryland
“Very nice property- but they need to work on staff training.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this property for one night in June, his Step- mom booked us the couples package which was supposed to include a bunch of goodies, champagne, overnight stay, chocolate and strawberries, couples massage, breakfast for two and a dinner credit. While yes, we did get all of these things eventually- the package was very confusing. We had the champagne and strawberries sent up but they never arrived. When we called regarding the delivery they said "Oh, we don't even have you under that package". ??? Then we made dinner reservations early in the day and went to cancel them about 30 minutes before our dinner time and the hostess stand said they never had our reservation to begin with. ??? We sat by the pool and had drinks, the waitresses were completely clueless. I asked for a Mai-Tai and the poolside waitress said she had never heard of that drink and did not know if the bar could make it. ??? The waitress was painfully slow - she brought my sandwich and fries and I asked for ketchup- 15 mins later she did not bring the ketchup- I asked again and asked for new fries because they had gotten cold...she said she had to ask if she could get me new fries...then came back and took my whole plate and said she had to show the kitchen the cold fries, leaving me eating my sandwich with no plate. ??? After we left we saw the waitress in the lobby "running out" talking on her cell phone. Clearly she had a place to be and we were interrupting her plans. I am not sure why she just did not close out our ticket and give us another waitress. I will give some leeway for it being the first weekend of summer- so the new staff probably did not have a lot of "ramp up" time to train.... I am guessing that was the issue with the pool staff.

Regarding the rest of the hotel - the room was nice, we ate dinner instead at the bar downstairs and played wii, which was a blast! The staff at the bar was great. Breakfast the next morning was by far our best meal- the spread was beautiful- food was perfect and staff was very accommodating, and made us happy first thing in the morning.

The front desk staff was clueless at most requests, the concierge- clueless.

The spa- we got our couples massage and felt they were WAY overpriced!!!!!!! Including tip we spent WAY more than we wanted to. It was not worth the price. The spa was nice though we used the steam room, sauna and relaxation rooms.

I would come here again maybe at a less busy time, and not get a massage. We have another voucher for a free night stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Cruise,
I’d like to apologize on behalf of the resort for some of the hiccups that occurred during your recent stay. Your experience with the poolside dining is unacceptable and I will be sure to bring this matter to the attention of the food and beverage manager to ensure that it does not happen again. It is our goal to empower each and every employee to handle situations such as yours with ease without having to ask permission. I would also like to apologize that our staff was not as informed as they should have been; this is a matter that I will follow up on with our front office manager. I do hope that you will return to the resort at a later date and give us another chance to exceed your expectations and provide you with value during your stay.

567 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Our first stay here was just wonderful! Purchased a Certifikid voucher for an overnight stay. Stayed overnight on a Monday and were able to check in early. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Went straight to pools and they were clean and well staffed with lifeguards. We stayed all day and enjoyed all the different pools and the pool-side service. Only one restaurant in the resort was open for dinner. So we went out to eat and enjoyed some outlet shopping. Room was very clean and comfortable. We were treated with water bottles, sodas and cupcakes. Bathroom was large and clean. Cannot wait to stay again!!

Dear JoanCG619,
It is wonderful to read that your first trip to Lansdowne Resort was such a positive one! I am glad to hear that you had a chance to use the pool facilities and were able to take advantage of all that the area has to offer including some great shopping. We look forward to your next visit to the resort.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Can't say enough about this place. First class all the way. Staff is friendly and helpful. The service is excellent. the accommodations are great. The food is terrific. You never run out of things to do.. Convenient location. Wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
Dear Judy S,
I am thrilled to hear that you had such a positive experience at Lansdowne Resort that included our accommodations and our food & beverage program. We agree that there is always something to do in the area and cannot wait to welcome you back again!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was our 3rd visit to Landsdowne-great staff, lovely facility and a wonderful place to visit! The pool area is excellent with very good lifeguard attendance-very clean and safe for all there. There are nice shops within 5-10 minutes of you want to leave the hotel at any time.

Room Tip: Never had a bad room in 3 stays-
Green Features: Lovely-they make it very environmentally friendly and go out of their way to do so.
Dear 21208,
Thank you for your kind words about Lansdowne Resort. I will be sure to pass your comments along to our recreation manager as it is our goal to ensure that each guest that visits our aquatic center feels safe and well taken care of. We hope that you will visit us again soon and get a chance to visit some of our other award winning facilities like Spa Minérale or The Golf Club at Lansdowne.

dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have heard about this place for years and finally used a groupon to enjoy it at a reasonable rate. Overall it was a pleasant experience. I visited the 'relaxation pool' which I think used to be the adult pool, but there were some kids in it while I was there. However, there were several other pools with more enticing things for kids (slides, fountains) so there were mostly adults at the pool. It was nice to have a bar right near the pool to order a drink, but the waitresses coming around and taking orders were virtually non-existent after 6 and the bar did run out of quite a bit of drinks and food. I ate dinner at the sports bar inside and the food was average. There was someone who sent back a hamburger since it was undercooked and it took forever for it to come back. To the bartender's credit, they did comp the hamburger. The room was clean and quiet. Self parking was free and really not far - maybe a 2 minute walk. There were several weddings going on the weekend I was there as it is a popular wedding hotel. Overall I'd return if there was another coupon lowering the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear roamroam

I am happy to hear that your overall experience at the resort was a positive one. I apologize for the fact that that the pool bar ran out of some items later in the day. I will be sure to follow up with our food and beverage manager of the pool to ensure that this does not happen again. The pool located closest to our indoor pool is designated an “adults-only” pool so I hope that you will get a chance to enjoy that pool on your next visit to the resort.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was there for a wedding and the resort itself is really pretty. Unfortunately, with the price I was paying, I was expecting a lot more.

Parking was a bit annoying and farther away than I would have like. Our room was dark and really ugly. Our view was non-existent - into a dirt roof type of thing. The shampoo and conditioner was impossible to pump out of in the shower. It took me about 10 pumps to get just a little out.

The restaurant opens up for breakfast Sunday morning but closed by 11. It was also wayyy overpriced for their offerings and tasted kind of crappy. I heard another customer asking why they are open randomly and it's because they don't really get customers - not surprised at all.

Customer service was also terrible. I was there for a wedding and there were 4 other weddings going on. I asked about the shuttle and no one has any idea what's going on. But instead of trying to figure out and helping me, they keep sending me to one clueless person to another.

Seriously, save your money and go somewhere else. I wished I had.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Travelsalot1984,

On behalf of the staff at the resort, I’d like to apologize that your recent stay did not meet your expectations as it is our goal to provide each guest with exceptional service. It is unfortunate to hear that our staff was not of more assistance to you with regards to finding the correct shuttle for the wedding that you were attending. We take our food quality very seriously at the resort so it was disappointing to hear that your breakfast was unsatisfactory in addition to not being able to enjoy your room accommodations. I do hope that in the future you will return to the resort and allow us the chance to change your impression of the resort.

Marblehead, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Great food, great pool, rooms are clean and updated. Every person we encountered was friendly, helpful and seemed like they genuinely cared that we were taken care of. Great pool for small kids. Rooms aren't huge, but hopefully you are there for the grounds, and not spending your days in the room. Room was very clean, and well kept. Poolside service was a nice perk. We will definitely be back!

Dear Rachel S,
I am thrilled to hear about your recent stay at Lansdowne Resort. It sounds like you and your family were truly able to relax while here and were able to take advantage of our outdoor pools and poolside food and beverage service. The team at Lansdowne looks forward to welcoming you back soon!

Managing Director

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!