“Green getaway near DC” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Atlanta
“Green getaway near DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed for a business trip. It rained the whole time I was there - but the grounds looked nice. I heard the spa is great. The food was good. And the ballroom was nice for our meeting. Check-in took a little longer than I would have liked.

• Stayed June 2013
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear MLEisme,
Thank you for your positive feedback about your recent stay at Lansdowne Resort. I am glad that you were comfortable during your meeting and that you enjoyed your meals throughout your stay, although I do apologize for the rain. We will try to keep it sunny out here the next time you stay with us!

James J. Horsman
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Humble, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Very nice facility, professional staff, beautiful grounds, I can't wait to return.. nice getaway to relax, enjoy and unwind. The family and I really enjoyed our 3 day stay at the resort. The Golf course is beautiful, the resort is surrounded by a nice neighborhood.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear napkat,
Thank you very much for your kind words about Lansdowne Resort. I am pleased to hear that you had such a positive experience at the resort and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back!

James J. Horsman
Managing Director
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in June. The greeting at the hotel reception was exceptionally friendly and can't fault the check in process. Our room was on the 5th floor. Although clean, the room was very dark and even with all the lights on and the curtains wide open it was still dark. This isn't helped by the dark decor. The beds were also not comfortable and quite lumpy.

However there is free WiFi and an in room safe for your valuables. There is no minibar or fridge in the room. And unless you have a car there are no shops closeby.

Dinner was a bit of a disappointment. Two restaurants were closed which left the golf restaurant (which was full) and the bar. We had no choice to eat in the bar. The food was the usual standard American bar offering and fine, but nothing exceptional. Breakfast was a buffet affair with omelettes cooked to order. There is no advertised price for the breakfast so you have to ask how much it is! Just be aware that you can have the continental version if you are not going to eat any of the hot foods at breakfast and it is considerably cheaper. But this is not explained to you at all.

Overall the resort was good. We were there for business and not to play golf or use the spa; but I would not intentionally return there for a vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay at the resort. I am happy to hear that you received exceptional service from our front desk staff as it is very important to us that each and every guest receives a warm welcome. I am very disappointed to hear that your server did not discuss our breakfast options with you and I am going to make sure this is discussed with our food & beverage team. I do hope that if you find yourself in the area for either business or pleasure you will give the hotel another chance to exceed your expectations.

Annandale, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband decided to take me and our 18 month old baby for a weekend getaway for my birthday. We asked for a mini fridge and microwave so we could store and heat our toddler's food, but was told that they do not have fridges in the rooms, and if we need to microwave some-thing, bring it down to the front desk and they will get it done. Hmph! Not very convenient for me....for the price we paid for this room, these seem to be basic amenities that we are accustomed to at all other places we have stayed. I had two services at the SPA, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and was very pleased with the service. The room was simple but nicely laid out and clean, so was the bathroom. However, the walls seem to be very thin, as we could hear people's conversations and children yelling in the hallway late at night. We had lunch at Pub 46 Lounge - Food was bland, our waitress was nice and polite, but forgot to check on us for a long time....and my husband had to walk inside to call her to get the check. Breakfast at Riverside Hearth - Ambiance very family friendly. Lovely buffet; attentive and friendly waiter; food pretty good. Good experience here! Dinner at On The Potomac - Was waiting in line behind another family who were seated promptly with no questions asked by the hostess. While she was seating them, the Maitre D asked us if we had a reservation, when I asked him if we needed one he said they have a few reservations that have not come in yet, and looked at us like there was 'No room at the Inn' for us. I looked around and there were probably three tables occupied in the room. The Hostess then returned and asked him if she should seat us by the bar. She walked us over and gave us a table. We were not told that we would not actually have a server, but would be served by the bartender, who also had to make drinks for the other folks in the dining hall. Long story short, it took about 30 minutes for him to take our food order....after about 45 mins. I asked him to have the kitchen pack our food so we can take it up to our room. Only then did another guy literally rushed past our table and dropped off a basket of bread....with no plates. My husband was livid. I left him there to wait on our food and went back to our room with our baby...noting that the restaurant was still quite empty. The MaitreD called our room about 30 mins later to ask why we left....when I explained to him how unwelcome we were made to feel, starting with him, he made excuses, and offered to send up dessert. I declined, and told him that dessert would not make our experience any better. After we hung up, and was trying to make our baby sleep.....he kept calling back to the room, apparently to take $15 off our bill, which we saw the next morning when we got the final bill. The experience at this restaurant really marred our overall experience at this Resort, and we most likely will not be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear LEELA,
I’d like to start off by saying that I am glad that you had a positive experience in both Spa Minérale and in Riverside Hearth. That being said, I would like to apologize for the misinformation that you received regarding mini refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms. We do have them available for a small fee. This information should have been conveyed to you from the get-go as to avoid the situation that occurred. It disappoints me to hear about your experience in our restaurant. You should have been seated immediately if tables were open and not being held for reservations and your table should not have been left under the care of the bartender. I will be sure to speak with our Food & Beverage Director and the restaurant manager to avoid a similar situation from happening in the future, as it is our intention to provide each and every guest that dines with us with the best experience possible.

Potomac, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Landsdowne to be near some VA wineries - as a quick and close trip from the DC area where we live. The hotel was spacious and nicely decorated; the staff - from the restaurant to the bar to the bellmen - were some of the nicest I've seen at any hotel or resort I've ever been to! The rooms were a good size though could use some updating and had a sort of annoying scent like a hair perm. Beds were OK. The tavern for a casual dinner was a great environment with great chairs and nice waitstaff. The breakfast buffet was much better than most. If you are comparing this with places a bit of a farther drive from DC, such as Kingsmill, Homestead, Chesapeake Hyatt, i'd say this is not as upscale, nor is there nearly as much to do at the resort itself, but it's a beautiful setting with the hills and if you like golf, want to lay at one of the many pools or want to do the nearby vineyards during the days and stay here at night, it's just great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with some kind of view. We were behind a tree.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
LansdowneResortGM, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear ELM2426,
Sounds like you had a lovely stay at Lansdowne Resort. I appreciate your feedback and am happy to read that you had positive experiences with both our staff and service. I will look into the odor that you experienced in your guest room and hope that the next time you visit us you will be able to take advantage of all that the resort has to offer including our golf club, the spa and our four outdoor pools in addition to all of the nearby attractions.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Resort was clean and staff were all very friendly and welcoming. I liked the lodge decor and the room was very well decorated.
The golf course was fantastic! Just dont use the restrooms, they are porta-johns - it needs desperate cleaning and needs running water. Other than that I have no compalints.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Annabel,
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Lansdowne Resort and that you were able to take advantage of the golf club. Thank you so much for recognizing that our team members were very friendly and welcoming. On the other hand I am terribly disappointed about the cleanliness of the restrooms on the golf courses. I will address this with our golf manager, as it is our goal to provide exceptional experiences out on the green for all of our guests. I do hope that you will play another round with us again soon!

Ocean Grove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were there for a wedding, room was nice and spacious, it was held outside, fantastic views, great place for the ceremony. Cocktail hour was also outside in the dimming light, good bar service and plenty of good finger food. Reception was insides, nice room, balcony off the backside in case you wanted to get away from the noise and cool off. Very few bad things to say: Temperature was not well regulated at the reception, kept getting warm, then cold, then warm. Food was very attractive, salad was good, but everyone's main course was rather bland and cold, but I guess it is hard to please over 100 people in 5 minutes, so I can't really hold this against them.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Doug M,
Thank you for your overall positive feedback regarding your recent stay at Lansdowne Resort. I am glad to hear that you had a lovely time at the wedding you were attending. It is unfortunate that the temperature was not regulated during the wedding. This is something that I will discuss with our Director of Engineering as it is our goal to make sure that each guest is comfortable. I will also discuss the food quality with our Executive Chef. The resort is very well known for its food quality and we take pride in each and every serving. Should you find yourself in the Northern Virginia area again, the team hopes to welcome you back to the resort!

Stefan Huber

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!