“Captive Audience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Leesburg
Albany New York
“Captive Audience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

United Airlines cancelled my connecting flight in Dulles and put me up here. Thank goodness it was for one night only and mostly not at my expense (the meal vouchers didn't cover half the cost for the meals). Because this visit was unexpected, I didn't have much in the way of clothing options and couldn't eat in the restaurant for dinner. The pub had a sandwich that sounded OK but was awful: blackened portobello shreds burdened by smoked gouda,wilted arugula with tough stems, and a nasty balsamic vinegar reduction. I was too tired to send it back and start over, so I ate what could, then went to my room, which had an odd odor I later figured out was animal urine (they do allow pets, apparently). I was exhausted and fell asleep, only to be awakened by loud voices in the hallway and banging room doors, which went on intermittently from 12:30-1:30. I got up early and tired, eager to get away. Breakfast was supposed to be available from 6:30, but it wasn't. I skipped the $22 hot buffet and opted for the $13 cold buffet. First, my place setting at the table was dirty (food stuck to the spoon and knife). The waiter was drenched in cologne. At the food table, I had to set aside several dishes with food still on them to find a clean one to use.

The hotel information says that the airport shuttle runs every half hour, but it is every hour - no explanation or apologies for the discrepancy.

Only one computer in the business center was working. I was given wrong directions to the center twice.

I reported all this to a young woman who identified herself as the manager. She said they would look into what I mentioned, but she wrote nothing down.

Throughout all this, I received not a single apology or any expression of concern. Having just come from a near-perfect stay at the Drury in New Orleans, the Landsdowne was a shock. They seem way too impressed with themselves. I have had a lot of experience over the years at events at golf resorts. This is the worst one I have seen.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Lansdowne_PR_Manager, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Reviewer86,
Thank you for taking the time out to comment on your recent stay with us. I would like extend my sincerest apologies on behalf of my staff for the less than pleasurable stay you experienced. Our goal is to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own high standards.
Let me assure you this is an isolated incident and that actions have been taken to make sure this does not happen again. We appreciate your feedback and we hope you will give us another chance.

570 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Annandale, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I had been eagerly awaiting my two-day spa trip to the Lansdowne resort. My room was very pleasant and clean. Resulting from some type of roof top construction happening right outside my bedroom window, sleeping in was not an option. The spa was delightful, and I enjoyed both of my treatments. Although, there was about a 30 minute period where I could hear drilling from the relaxation room. Thankfully it stopped. Needless to say, it was a waste of money and my time I will not be returning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sandra H,
It is truly disappointing to learn that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. We extend our sincerest apologies if you were disrupted by outside noise during your stay, however, we appreciate that you brought it to our attention. Please be assured that your review will be shared with our management team to ensure that we continue to put our guests first and deliver a pleasant experience. Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback, it is our hope to have a future opportunity to impress you with a more enjoyable stay.

Mt Airy, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We spent Saturday and Sunday here this past weekend for a girlfriend's bachelorette spa/winery weekend. I got us a killer deal through travelzoo for $129 a night (included resort fees), plus taxes. I booked the bride a massage and facial at the spa and she spoke highly of both. They allowed us an early check in around 11 am which was great. Rooms were very clean and nicely decorated. I used the fitness center's hot tub and indoor pool while some of the girls got services and it was great, not crowded at all. The conceirge was very helpful in giving us information about transportation to a local winery. We had a late night dinner at the Tavern and they accomodated our large party easily. Food was above average for a tavern and they split the bill for us.
I knew when I booked the rooms that we were getting double beds but they were just way too small for 2 adults! Breakfast buffet was great the next morning, if a bit pricey ($27.50 including tax and tip) but food was high quality and fresh.
The only issue I had with the resort all weekend was upon receiving my bill when I checked out. I was charged almost $100 over what I was quoted when I made the reservation. When I told the front desk this, they basically said there system had it reflected as reported on the bill! Argh! I did not have my confirmation number handy and spent almost an hour digging through emails and looking through my purse to find the information. When I finally brought it down to the front desk, they did adjust it for me but never apologized for the inconvenience and seemed slightly annoyed that I was questioning it.

Room Tip: Go for the king beds, doubles just won't fit two grown adults.
Dear LauBauMtAiry,
It is wonderful to read that your stay was very pleasant and you enjoyed many aspects of your visit. We are truly disappointed to learn that your bill was incorrect. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you may have experienced, we appreciate that you took the time to provide your impressions of our resort. We will share your comments with our team to ensure we continue to provide attentive service to our valued guests. It is our sincere hope to have a future opportunity to welcome you back and win your trust in our services.

Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My girlfriends and I visited here for a mom's night out on the night of Saturday, May 4th. We also booked spa services for the 4th and 5th. We planned to dine at the Landsdowne restaurants and get massages and facials. Being new mothers, we were very much looking forward to a whole 24 hours of uninterrupted relaxation. Unfortunately, we only got 4 hours of sleep.

We checked into our rooms and then went down to the club house for a drink and to watch the sun set. When we returned, at 7ish, I could see that several of the rooms in the immediate vicinity were being occupied by a large group who obviously knew each other. There was a block of rooms that had been reserved for some event and for some unknown reason the front desk had decided to put us right in the middle of it. I have absolutely no idea why they would do this. Even I could see that there was likely going to be a problem, as large parties who are celebrating do tend to come and go late into the night and go to and from each others' rooms. As moms who get little sleep, I was looking forward to turning in early and getting a good night of sleep.

The party started at about 10:30 pm and continued until 3am. I called the front desk 3 times during that period and was told 1. there was no block of reserved rooms because they don't do "block" reservations (I find this very difficult to believe. I know for certain that there were two major events - a wedding and a family reunion occurring on the property that night) and 2. security would be right up. I have no idea if security ever arrived. I certainly didn't hear knocking on any of the neighboring doors and the noise never lessened. I actually went out at one point and asked my neighbors, who were standing in the hall talking very loudly, to please keep it down. Never saw a security guard or a hotel employee. The front desk attendant even put me on hold at one point to ask her manager a question, but she never offered to switch our room.

As far as I can tell, there were really two issues. 1. the walls and doors are bizarrely thin. The next morning, I could hear my neighbor peeing in his own bathroom. I cannot fathom why a resort that charges this much money would have insufficient insulation. 2. The room doors do not have door closers to control the closing force and speed of the doors, therefore, the doors were repeatedly slammed all night long. Had the doors been equipped with door closers, I'm pretty sure I could have turned the television to a "snow" station and drowned out most of the talking, but those doors slamming, every time I was almost asleep, sounded like a gun going off in the room.

What was even stranger, however, was Landsowne managements' response. There was none. I spoke with the front desk 3 times about the noise during the night. As I was checking out and heading to the spa the next morning with black bags under my eyes, I explained in detail to the reservationist how awful the night had been. In short, after we notified the resort that there was a serious problem and I was very unhappy, I was still on the property for another 3 hours. 3 hours during which time they had every opportunity to address these issues.

I never saw a manager or a supervisor or was asked if I would like to speak to one. In fact, the employees all seemed pretty blase about our concerns, simply telling us that they would definitely notify management.

In the interest of full-disclosure, I should mention that the spa was outstanding, which I will cover in a separate review.

As well, the food was excellent at all 3 restaurants we patronized while on the property. The service was certainly friendly but perhaps they were under-staffed because it was exceedingly slow. We ate at Stonewall Pub on Saturday night because we just wanted a quick bite before turning in. We arrived at 7 and did not leave until 9pm. Our waiter was very nice, and our orders were correct, but, as far as I could tell, he was the only server actually serving food in the entire restaurant. There appeared to be a woman who might have been a manager. She stood around with a scowl on her face for the duration of our meal and never delivered a plate or cashed out a diner. Frankly, I felt sorry for our server who was clearly doing the best he could.

On Friday afternoon, as I mentioned, we ate at the club house and sat on the patio overlooking the golf course. The view was amazing, again the food was outstanding and they even had drink specials, but just as we were served our food, a large group of men sat down a few tables away and all lit up cigars. I was amazed. Since about 2007 all of the resorts I have visited have had a no-smoking on the property policy. At the very least, they have a designated smoking area which is secluded from guests. I have not seen a large group of smokers on a restaurant patio in years. Truly bizarre.

In short, I might return to the spa, but I'll find a room at another hotel.

Room Tip: Walls are very thin and doors don't have door slowers. If you are unfortunate enough to be situa...
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Enjoyed a brief, one night stay here. Was in Leesburg visiting friends and enjoyed the great location to Leesburg town center, the Outlets, and a wonderful spa on property.

Pros:
~Something for everyone - be it golf, spa, swimming, gym, etc.
~Amazing spa; facility was great, including the Roman baths
~Extremely clean/well maintained room overlooking the golf court
~Lots of great food options; good in-room dining
~Friendly service

Cons:
~The bathroom sink cabinet/vanity in the room is poorly designed in such a way that it's easy to stub your toe(s) on the leg in front of the sink. Wish bathroom also had a fan.
~One of the walls (this is the first time we've experienced this at the hotel so there's a good chance it could've just been the guest(s) next door) seemed a bit thin. We could hear the TV... but then again it could have just been someone (more than one guest) with hearing issues.
~Spa is really popular, and during peak weekend times, can be quite crowded. Make a reservation early if wanting an apt on Sat. afternoon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Everything is great at Lansdowne!!! The customer service is exceptional, the guest rooms are clean and comfortable, great meeting space and great food/snacks too. I would definitely recommend this property. It's also a few minutes from the Leesburg Outlets (bonus). : )

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed here from Apr 13-16 for a business conference. Have stayed here about 5 years ago. The property is always lovely with its expansive lawns and the golf course. The rooms are quite fine, though they seemed exactly the way they were 5 years ago. Could have done with a bit of a facelift. While the rooms are large, clean and functional, they aren't distinctive enough for a hotel of this type. The single bed is almost as big as a queen bed. The views from the room are pretty good with the Potomac far in the background and a huge expanse of green before.

The spa is fantastic and so is the gym. The staff is quite friendly and helpful as well.

Only two issues - (i) the place has almost no veg food. As a veggie, that was a bit of a problem. In this day and age, i find that a bit unusual in a large property; (ii) the place is quite far from anywhere and hence it often takes 15-30 mins to get a cab. And then if someone else takes off with your cab before you do (which happened to us), then its another long wait.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!