“Totally bizarre spa weekend” 1 of 5 stars

Lansdowne Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   44050 Woodridge Parkway, Leesburg, VA 20176   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Washington, DC
“Totally bizarre spa weekend”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My girlfriends and I visited here for a mom's night out on the night of Saturday, May 4th. We also booked spa services for the 4th and 5th. We planned to dine at the Landsdowne restaurants and get massages and facials. Being new mothers, we were very much looking forward to a whole 24 hours of uninterrupted relaxation. Unfortunately, we only got 4 hours of sleep.

We checked into our rooms and then went down to the club house for a drink and to watch the sun set. When we returned, at 7ish, I could see that several of the rooms in the immediate vicinity were being occupied by a large group who obviously knew each other. There was a block of rooms that had been reserved for some event and for some unknown reason the front desk had decided to put us right in the middle of it. I have absolutely no idea why they would do this. Even I could see that there was likely going to be a problem, as large parties who are celebrating do tend to come and go late into the night and go to and from each others' rooms. As moms who get little sleep, I was looking forward to turning in early and getting a good night of sleep.

The party started at about 10:30 pm and continued until 3am. I called the front desk 3 times during that period and was told 1. there was no block of reserved rooms because they don't do "block" reservations (I find this very difficult to believe. I know for certain that there were two major events - a wedding and a family reunion occurring on the property that night) and 2. security would be right up. I have no idea if security ever arrived. I certainly didn't hear knocking on any of the neighboring doors and the noise never lessened. I actually went out at one point and asked my neighbors, who were standing in the hall talking very loudly, to please keep it down. Never saw a security guard or a hotel employee. The front desk attendant even put me on hold at one point to ask her manager a question, but she never offered to switch our room.

As far as I can tell, there were really two issues. 1. the walls and doors are bizarrely thin. The next morning, I could hear my neighbor peeing in his own bathroom. I cannot fathom why a resort that charges this much money would have insufficient insulation. 2. The room doors do not have door closers to control the closing force and speed of the doors, therefore, the doors were repeatedly slammed all night long. Had the doors been equipped with door closers, I'm pretty sure I could have turned the television to a "snow" station and drowned out most of the talking, but those doors slamming, every time I was almost asleep, sounded like a gun going off in the room.

What was even stranger, however, was Landsowne managements' response. There was none. I spoke with the front desk 3 times about the noise during the night. As I was checking out and heading to the spa the next morning with black bags under my eyes, I explained in detail to the reservationist how awful the night had been. In short, after we notified the resort that there was a serious problem and I was very unhappy, I was still on the property for another 3 hours. 3 hours during which time they had every opportunity to address these issues.

I never saw a manager or a supervisor or was asked if I would like to speak to one. In fact, the employees all seemed pretty blase about our concerns, simply telling us that they would definitely notify management.

In the interest of full-disclosure, I should mention that the spa was outstanding, which I will cover in a separate review.

As well, the food was excellent at all 3 restaurants we patronized while on the property. The service was certainly friendly but perhaps they were under-staffed because it was exceedingly slow. We ate at Stonewall Pub on Saturday night because we just wanted a quick bite before turning in. We arrived at 7 and did not leave until 9pm. Our waiter was very nice, and our orders were correct, but, as far as I could tell, he was the only server actually serving food in the entire restaurant. There appeared to be a woman who might have been a manager. She stood around with a scowl on her face for the duration of our meal and never delivered a plate or cashed out a diner. Frankly, I felt sorry for our server who was clearly doing the best he could.

On Friday afternoon, as I mentioned, we ate at the club house and sat on the patio overlooking the golf course. The view was amazing, again the food was outstanding and they even had drink specials, but just as we were served our food, a large group of men sat down a few tables away and all lit up cigars. I was amazed. Since about 2007 all of the resorts I have visited have had a no-smoking on the property policy. At the very least, they have a designated smoking area which is secluded from guests. I have not seen a large group of smokers on a restaurant patio in years. Truly bizarre.

In short, I might return to the spa, but I'll find a room at another hotel.

Room Tip: Walls are very thin and doors don't have door slowers. If you are unfortunate enough to be situa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Enjoyed a brief, one night stay here. Was in Leesburg visiting friends and enjoyed the great location to Leesburg town center, the Outlets, and a wonderful spa on property.

Pros:
~Something for everyone - be it golf, spa, swimming, gym, etc.
~Amazing spa; facility was great, including the Roman baths
~Extremely clean/well maintained room overlooking the golf court
~Lots of great food options; good in-room dining
~Friendly service

Cons:
~The bathroom sink cabinet/vanity in the room is poorly designed in such a way that it's easy to stub your toe(s) on the leg in front of the sink. Wish bathroom also had a fan.
~One of the walls (this is the first time we've experienced this at the hotel so there's a good chance it could've just been the guest(s) next door) seemed a bit thin. We could hear the TV... but then again it could have just been someone (more than one guest) with hearing issues.
~Spa is really popular, and during peak weekend times, can be quite crowded. Make a reservation early if wanting an apt on Sat. afternoon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Everything is great at Lansdowne!!! The customer service is exceptional, the guest rooms are clean and comfortable, great meeting space and great food/snacks too. I would definitely recommend this property. It's also a few minutes from the Leesburg Outlets (bonus). : )

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed here from Apr 13-16 for a business conference. Have stayed here about 5 years ago. The property is always lovely with its expansive lawns and the golf course. The rooms are quite fine, though they seemed exactly the way they were 5 years ago. Could have done with a bit of a facelift. While the rooms are large, clean and functional, they aren't distinctive enough for a hotel of this type. The single bed is almost as big as a queen bed. The views from the room are pretty good with the Potomac far in the background and a huge expanse of green before.

The spa is fantastic and so is the gym. The staff is quite friendly and helpful as well.

Only two issues - (i) the place has almost no veg food. As a veggie, that was a bit of a problem. In this day and age, i find that a bit unusual in a large property; (ii) the place is quite far from anywhere and hence it often takes 15-30 mins to get a cab. And then if someone else takes off with your cab before you do (which happened to us), then its another long wait.

Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Two night stay on business. Grounds and building are fabulous, I did not use their golfing facilities. Cost was competitive for this level of accomodations, however the guest room was just not what I expected as I drove up. Guest room was VERY clean, updated colors, bath very nice, but the room felt as though it had received a mild face-lift vs. a complete updating. Also, I heard more 'early morning bath noise' through the walls from adjoining rooms that I would have expected at this level of accomodations.The staff at the Lansdowne were simply excellent; very helpful and very professional. Meals were also very high quality and enjoyable. I'd visit again; the only item keeping them from a 5 rating was the level of quality in the guest room I had during the stay.

Room Tip: North side has great rolling hills to view from your room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Silver Spring, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were given a gift certificate for one night and a free breakfast. We discovered a beautiful facility with extraordinary staff. The customer service was the best I have ever encountered. The food was free and very tasty and the wait staff was extremely professional. Everyone with whom we had contact was wonderful. We intend to return soon and to stay longer. This place is a must visit for anyone who wants relaxation in a beautiful setting and to be treated royally.

Room Tip: Ask for a king bed on the corner of the building, overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lansdowne_PR_Manager, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Dancinglibrarian,
What a beautiful review! How wonderful that you were able to escape the everyday during your stay at the Lansdowne Resort. We are happy to learn that our relaxing atmosphere, our dining options, majestic views and friendly staff helped to transport you to place of tranquility. We truly appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with us, we certainly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you for a stay at our resort soon.

Stefan Huber
Danville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed at Lansdowne Resort for a conference recently, no golf was included. The property is very nice looking from the outside, and public areas are very nice as well. The rooms are very average. For the prices you pay, you would expect more, these are just one notch above a Holiday Inn, and well below a Marriott. The price is higher than you would expect to pay at a Marriott. In addition, they add a $20 "resort fee" that includes a copy of USA Today, a bottle of water, and the privileged of parking your car yourself in the self parking lot. The food was alright, but again bit pricey. They have a pretty good buffet, but it is only open on certain days.

Dear Buck4you,
While we’re glad you enjoyed our location and found our lobby inviting, we deeply regret that your experience was not more positive. It is important that our guests not only experience a relaxing, resort getaway but also feel that we are a value. Your comments will be shared with our management team to ensure we take every opportunity to exceed our guests’ expectations. We hope you'll reconsider giving us another chance in the future so that we may change your impression of the resort, thank you.

Stefan Huber

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!