“Nice weekend in wine region of VA” 4 of 5 stars

Lansdowne Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   44050 Woodridge Parkway, Leesburg, VA 20176   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Alexandria, Virginia
“Nice weekend in wine region of VA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We enjoyed a one night romance package that included champagne/truffle on arrival, and a $200 spa or golf credit, and $100 restaurant credit as well as buffet breakfast and drinks in the tavern. The spa was extremely relaxing and had above average quality services. I enjoyed a facial and Swedish massage. the overall calming environment was terrific. Dinner in the On The Potomac Restaurant was just average. Nice appetizers but just okay entrees (steak cooked medium vs. rare, and house made pasta was overcooked), with somewhat slow service. Overall the restaurant was somewhat tired looking. The breakfast on the other hand was just wonderful -- very good variety, excellent attentive service to get juice, coffee, etc. We truly enjoyed it and did not even need lunch that day. And Stonewalls Tavern was a nice place to hang out after dinner for a drink (great martinis) and games. So, overall a fun getaway, especially after winery tastings during the day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the hotel facing the Potomac River. The hotel offers a very generous...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lansdowne_PR_Manager, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear MPWAnnapolisW

Thank you for visiting Lansdowne and for sharing your comments relative to your stay. It appears your Romance visit was enjoyable and we are delighted you were able to take advantage of Spa Minerale’, the restaurants and some of the many nearby wineries. Many people are taking advantage of our new Shared Wines and Treasured Times package that includes transportation to/from selected wineries and so much more. It’s a great package to share with another couple or two.

As you may have seen during your visit, we are close to completing a “top to bottom” renovation of our Riverside Hearth restaurant. We can’t wait until March 11 when the restaurant reopens for our guests. Please come back to see us and experience this “new” restaurant. Thanks again for your visit and comments!

Lloyd W. Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Del Mar, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Nice 1980's style resort. A bit dated but nice people and facilities. Well located to Dulles and suitable for conferences, ETC. what perplexes me in the terrible shampoo and soap dispensers in the shower. What a cheapo attempt to look "green!"

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Cwinstin,

Hello and thank you for your comments related to your recent business stay.

Your comments related to our guest room shower amenities are appreciated. While this presentation is certainly different than we have all become accustomed to over the years, the dispensers (and the high quality body wash/shampoo/conditioner) are being adopted at many 4- Diamond settings and have been overwhelmingly well received by our guests. With that said, we are always prepared to deliver more traditionally packaged bath products to each and every guest upon request. We hope you will visit us again soon and allow us to be of service.

Travel safely!

General Managter
Hagerstown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We spent a weekend at this resort and I must say the resort was more than I expected. Everything from the room to the quality of service was superior. If you are looking for a great getaway, you will not be disappointed. We will definitely be returning.

Dear DeWayne,

We are truly touched by how much you enjoyed your recent stay at Lansdowne Resort. It is wonderful to read that you found the room and the service you received to be superior. Our hope is to provide high-quality guest accommodations, service and special touches to ensure our guests get the most from their experience at our resort. Thank you for providing your feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Sleaford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were booked into this resort for one night after a catalogue of disasters with a flight to Hawaii with United Airlines. We were given a voucher for this hotel when we were stranded at the airport in Washington. It is in a lovely location, part of what appears to be a leisure and golf resort. It was a short ride from the airport and under any other circumstances I would recommend it. The staff treated us with kindness and enthusiasm, even when they were presented with our free night voucher. The room we were put in was beautiful, I think it was a suite and the man who drove us and showed us to our room was lovely and friendly. We were given vouchers for a free breakfast the next morning which was buffet style but lovely and plentiful. We were then transported back to the airport for our onward flight and I have nothing but praise for the way that the hotel and its staff treated us. I would imagine it could be a little expensive for a long stay but we have nothing but praise for it

Room Tip: a lovely place to sleep and relax.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sue H,
We couldn't be more thrilled to hear the enthusiasm you've shared regarding your stay with us at Lansdowne Resort after a disastrous night. Thank you for the kind words about our staff and the accommodations. We're pleased that the transportation worked well to/from the airport during your short stay. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for a longer stay

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I wanted to like this resort as I was considering using this facility for some of my wellness events. The pros:
the resort grounds and view are lovely. It's hard to imagine that just 30 minutes or so outside of DC there is a place that has lush, well-landscaped grounds and views of the mountains and the river in the distance. The conference facilities looked more than adequate to host a group of 30 to thousands.
The spa is lovely and the services I received a manicure and Swedish massage were really well done.
The check in was easy and quick, and the bell hop/valet staff were really pleasant, friendly, and easy going.
The negatives:
the bed in the room we were in was absolutely filthy. There was hair of all different colors (blond, brown, grey, and white; some looked like dog hair) and sizes on the sheets and pillows. The really big turn off that made me request the entire bed linen be changed was a white looking, dried up smeared stain on one of the pillows along with a brownish gray filth. I could only imagine what the white stain was. I was praying it was just dried lotion! I called down to have the linen changed and 3 hours later the linen was changed (while we were out at dinner). When we arrived back in the room I could tell that not all of the linen had been changed because the same dirty white stained pillow was back on the bed, the same blanket with the short white hair all over it was back on the bed and the same green pillows with blond and short black hair were back on the bed. Disgusted that the sheets, but not the pillows, were changed and the nasty fluid stained pillow that we had purposefully taken off the bed was placed right back on the bed, I called down to speak with the manager. Someone with an accent told me that they'd be right up. One hour later an irate looking man showed up with sheets in tow and told me in the most annoyed tone (as if my request was bothering him) that "they JUST changed the bed linen about 1 hour ago." I said "really, then please explain to me how these same white fluid stained and brown smudges are on the green pillow that I had removed from the bed are BACK on the bed. How is the same blond, black and white hair on these larger green pillows back on the bed." All of the linen needs to be changed. I literally had to pick up the stained items and show them to him before he believed me. I also pointed out the white short dog hair that was all over the bed throw. I have never encountered anything like this when someone clearly was not doing their job and the guest was made to feel like they were annoying them for asking for clean linen. Did I not just pay to be a guest in the hotel, and spend nearly $500 in one day in services etc.?!

My second major disappointment was to find out that hotel guests do not have access to the spa during their stay unless they have spa service booked for that day. So I was given the choice to pay a 50 spa use fee as a hotel guest, in addition to the 20 resort fee, or book a service. I explained that I had tried to book my massage service that day but they didn't have any appointments so I had no choice but to book my massage for the next day. To no avail, the spa clerk looked at me as if I were bothering her. I really wish someone would have told me about the additional spa usage fee when I booked my two massages (one for my spouse and I), as I would have booked a manicure or something in advance, rather then been talked to so rudely the day of my husband's appt. I of course booked the manicure for that day (in addition to the pre-booked massage the next day) and I really couldn't have been happier with the way my nails looked, despite the manicurist saying no more than 10 words to me and then disappeared while I was left under the nail dryer. The customer service by the front desk clerk could not have been more rude. Her nasty, unnecessarily snooty attitude was not needed and nearly ruined my spa experience. She literally acted as if she were doing me a favor to have booked me an extra service so that I, as a paying hotel guest, could use the facilities at the resort! Wow is all I can say about that and NOT in a good way.

My third disappointment was that the king room we were in was really small and the mattress was incredibly cheap and flimsy. My husband said he noted a mildew smell in the hall and the room. I didn't notice a smell in the room but did in the hallway. The hall seemed as it the smell were being covered up with a very strong air freshener. We also stayed next to guests on both sides that literally were up at 4 am and slammed doors and talked loudly until nearly 7 am. I mean really...there are reasons people go to "resorts"... it's for peace and quiet and pampering. We did not get any of things for the entire duration of our stay.

My last issue with the resort is that many of the restaurants were closed during the day, despite their hours of operation listing them as open. One very nice staffer escorted my husband and I do the only open restaurant that day and we did enjoy our meal and had great waitstaff there. The food at stonewall's tavern on the other hand, along with the service, was really subpar and should be skipped entirely. The artichoke dip was lacking, the creamer for the coffee was crusted over and the chicken wing appetizer was bland and tasteless... The waiter at this restaurant completely forgot about us towards the end of our meal and it took about 20 minutes to order dessert.

All in all, I would likely not ever stay a the hotel again, but perhaps would hold a day event there. As long as my guests or I did not have to stay in one of the hotel rooms or eat dinner at the tavern, it would be pretty decent place. For one day we spent about $500 and while I enjoyed lunch and breakfast as well as my massage and manicure, the dinner at the tavern was subpar, and the red-headed front desk clerk was so terribly rude, I'd likely not return to the spa either. The staff inside the spa lounges were very attentive. It's shame the one lady at the front desk appeared to have no training on how to work in the hospitality industry.

Room Tip: get a king and insist that the all the linen be changed. honestly, I'd skip the hotel itself and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Foodwise,
Thank you for staying with us and I appreciate the comments. I am deeply disheartened to read that your stay with us would not inspire a return visit and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We would like to extend our sincerest apologies on behalf of our Housekeeping department for the less than pleasing experience you encountered with your room. We have addressed the issue with our Director of Housekeeping. Our goal is to exceed the expectations of each guest. We obviously fell short in your case and for that we are extremely sorry. Let me assure you this is an isolated incident and that actions have been taken to make sure this does not happen again. Our maintenance team will further investigate your comments making sure our guest rooms and hallways are at their absolute best for current and future guests. I regret if any noise disturbed you during your time with us. We want our guests to experience a quiet and restful sleep during their stay. Your valued feedback will be shared with our management team to ensure we continue to put our guests first. We hope you'll reconsider giving us another chance in the future so that we may change your impression. Again, thank you for your honesty.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I spent one Saturday night with my girlfriend at the Landsdowne Resort. Our experience was mixed; there were some nice parts and some bad parts. Overall you get a "hotel" experience at a "resort" price.

Spa - The spa is nice, check in was smooth, the locker rooms were equipped with hot tubs, steam rooms and a dry sauna. The plastic sandals were unconformable. The massage technicians were both very good. Cost $320 for two 50 minute massages, with tip.

On the Potomac Restaurant - We had two drinks, two filets, two glasses of wine and one desert. The filets had good flavor, but were only lukewarm. The desert was the smallest thing I've ever seen. Service was sparse as the waiter was very busy, they were understaffed. There was no welcome or introduction to the menu or anything. The entire process was like being at a diner. Our waiter probably said 10 words to us the whole time. Cost $140.

Stonewalls Tavern - This place gets 5 stars. We had after dinner drinks here. Service was excellent, atmosphere was pleasant, but here is the most interesting part: We had a complimentary drink coupon that came with our room and the waiter let us use it to order the $500 Louis XIII drink which comes with a bottle of Cristal. I made him check with his manager before I ordered it and he said it was OK, so we did. A $500 drink for free, very cool. We left him a hefty tip for that one. Thanks again.

Room - The room was fair. The interior finishes were nice, but there was no fridge. It is noisy as you can hear people talking outside of your room very easily. Also, most of the channels on the TV were not working or snowy.

Room Service - We had room service twice. Once after our massage we had chocolate strawberries and champagne delivered and in the morning we had breakfast. Both were excellent. Breakfast was $70 w/ tip.

Front Desk - Check in was smooth and staff was friendly. Downside was we were part of a package and on several occasions the desk was confused about what was included in the package. I had to show them the documentation to prove what was included. They also billed me for things that were supposed to be included, and I had to correct the billing at check out.

The final cost of everything was around $800. We didn't golf because it was cold, but add a round of golf in and you'd be over $1,000. For that cost, there are some improvements that need to be made to make the experience worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lansdowne_PR_Manager, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear evilmosquito,

At Lansdowne Resort, we strive to deliver serene accommodations and exceptional service. We hope our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay, so we are truly disappointed to read that you felt your stay could have been improved upon during your recent visit. We apologize for your experience in On The Potomac; it is disheartening to learn that you felt the service you received was amiss during any moment of your time with us, we are truly sorry if you experienced anything less than our best. We will be certain to share your comments with our team in order to improve on our guest experience. Thank you for your kind mention of our spa and Stonewalls Tavern and other highlights of your stay. We hope you’ll return in the future so that we may show you the true Lansdowne experience.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went last minute for 4 days at the end of July with the kids (12 &16). The resort is beautiful, facilities clean, and the grounds meticulously maintained. Rooms are clean and well appointed. Beds comfy. And really, there is something for everyone. Husband enjoyed golf. The kids lived at the pool area which is actually several. The largest one had a wading area (perfect for the littlest ones) and waterslide (huge attraction). Adjacent to it was a pool with a waterfall that tended to attract folks without kids. The entire area boasts an abundance of lifeguards, lounge chairs, tables, & umbrellas. Several restrooms are conveniently located and food & beverages are served poolside. The fitness center was surprisingly large, clean, and well organized with plenty of cardio equipment, TV, towels, machines and free weights. While it was well attended every day, I never waited to use anything. The Riverside Hearth had a great daily breakfast & lunch buffet with a huge selection of hot, fresh choices and attentive table service. Stonewalls Tavern was perfect for casual dinner as it serves nicely prepared entrees, wine etc and the kids could still get a burger. The resort also hosts an outdoor summer music series on Friday night with live music, drinks, & BBQ fare. The band we saw rocked the house but each weekend is different, so ask ahead of time as to the theme/performers. Will definitely return for another jaunt and hit up the Spa too,

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony that overlooked the terrace where the summer music series was held. Opt...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Lansdowne_PR_Manager, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Anna K,
We’re so pleased to read about your recent experience at the Lansdowne Resort, it certainly seems that you enjoyed your time here. It is great to learn of all that you got to do during your stay, from dining at Riverside Hearth and working out at our state-of-the-art fitness facility to splashing around in our pool and relaxing in the hot tub. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back so that you can enjoy our beautiful room views and grounds again soon, thank you for your review.

Lloyd W. Williams

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!