“Good for a Conference” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Leesburg
Shreveport, LA
“Good for a Conference”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2008

I attended a four day conference at the Lansdowne Resort at the end of March. I had scheduled the shuttle from the airport ($25 each way and billed directly to my room) and they had my flight information. Unfortunately, because of weather, my flight was about 2-3 hours late. The only info about where to pick up the shuttle was 2H, which I could not find anywhere until I asked the airport information where to get the shuttle.

I called the telephone number on the shuttle e-mail that I had received and got a personal phone with voice mail. Not what I wanted to hear. Called another that I had on my paperwork, rang for three to four minutes with no answer. Finally found a third number that was answered and I was told they had the information about my flight delay and would be arriving soon. About 45 min later the shuttle arrived. Thirty minutes later I was at the resort. I asked about dining because I had not eaten since breakfast because of the flight delays (Dulles has nowhere to eat) and was told they had a restaurant available just past the elevators that I would take to my room.

My room was on the second floor with nice view of the Potomac River and, unfortunately, the roof over the restaurant/convention area. I unpacked and went down for dinner. Unfortunately, the restaurant didn't open until 6:00 and nothing else was open. I went back to my room and took a nap. Went back down around 6:30 and was seated without any information about the dining. It was a nice buffet, but after the long flight, lack of food, I really just wanted a burger, but it was not available.

Bathroom was nice with good towels, sink is a bit far from the edge of the counter so you really have to lean over it if you wear glasses and can't see without them. Shower was nice, but a bit difficult to control the temperature of the water, one nudge this way - very hot, one nudge that way -very cold. Finally found a spot where I could get hot but not scalding water. Robes in the closet.

Television reception was good. Free internet in the room, both wired and wireless that was a good speed. Bed was very comfortable and side chair was also comfortable to sit. Small coffee pot in the room, but didn't use it, not a coffee drinker.

Breakfast buffet was very good - choice of omlets, eggs your way, scrambled off the buffet, bacon, sausage, and various other items. Yoghurt parfaits, Dannon yoghurt, fresh fruit.

Lunch buffet was usually very good, one fish, one chicken, one beef and one other entree. Nice salad bar, excellent choices for desserts - I liked the vanilla bean ice cream with caramel sauce, but they had other very nice desserts all days. They also made hamburgers if you wanted them (didn't see this until the day I left).

Dinner was also good, but you could usually see repeats of the lunches in a new format - for example, they had grilled asparagus at lunch, for dinner it was turned into a mushroom -asparagus ragout (also still good), lunch the next day - another version of the asparagus. They had wild boar one night.

The breaks during the conference were very good, fruit, rolls, yoghurt, coffee, ice cream, peanuts, brownies, cookies, chips, pretzels, etc. Juices, sodas, coffee, tea, etc. I did not go hungry.

Did not use the pool or spa or play golf (the golf course is supposed to be very good). But the hours for the spa were really not conducive to the conference. The spa services did look very nice, though.

So after a bad start, it got progressively better. Staff in the dining room were very nice. I had no problems with theft or housekeeping.

One thing I did notice was it looked like access to the restaurants was not really handicap accessible. You had to walk down a steep stairway to get to the dining facilities. It looked like you could go down via elevator to the golf club house, and then come if from the outside to the restaurant. It didn't look easy.

The meeting room was a bit small for the size of our group, but there were several conferences going on while I was there (three alone for my organization). The room rate included three meals at the buffet. We paid a whole lot less than was was shown on the closet door for one person ($419 a night!!).

• Liked — Food included with the room and the food was good.
  • Disliked — Seemed isolated from everything. Not easy to get other places without spending a lot of money.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

568 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

We booked the Romantic Getaway Weekend, replete with champagne, a red rose, breakfast, luxury room, peace, quiet, and luxury robes. The best way to describe all of these amenities is -NOT! No, not one of these things materialized. I wish I had a camera. This is like some refurbished high-rise motel, with OK rooms, extremely noisey, marginal amenities, and a really good price! Our luxury room was missing the coffee pot, had a really hard bed, minimal lighting, was not entirely clean, and was in the range of much lower rated hotels. The wireless internet AND the ethernet cable did not work on either of our computers, and the Tech Business Center they profess to have, had one old Pentium omputer for which one had to compete with 20 businessmen attending meetings. The hotel actually overlooks the rear of a large development, some high rise businesses, and has one of the worst breakfast buffets I have ever had. The room had no robes. The spa was completely booked, and worst of all, the rooms on either side of us were booked for 12 women who were enjoying the advertised "Girls Weekend"--partying until 3 am and up and slamming doors at 5am. This is not a luxury resort. It is just an OK meeting hotel. That's about it. You have other options that are better in the area. See review of the restaruants in Leesburg--which are great. The town is nice, but somewhat commercial. The wineries are worth the drive, esp Tahara overlooking the Potomic, but do not expect to stay at the hotel and relax. You won't be able to, and you would not want to. For a nice day's trip, try Middleburg, a few miles South--well worth it. The countryside to the North is great--to the South west is good, but if you come in from DC, do not expect anything that feels remotely rural. It is overdeveloped and disappointing. No weekend in the lovely VA horse countery here! Go to Middleburg, Warrenton, or outside of Charlottsville.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Facility marginal
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

Nice location, the place is a little shop worn and could use some renovation. The food (all inclusive package) was OK but is conference center food. Nice roaches happily playing on the restroom walls in the middle of the day The one closest to the restaurant.

Someone on the staff went through my wife's briefcase and lifted all of her flash drives and her brand new Ipod. $500. Thank you very much.

So, don't leave anything in the rooms that you want to keep!

Doubtful we will ever visit again.

We are seasoned world travelers and on the move just about every month. We know good service from bad. This place rates OK. I do think it's a touch pricey based on the condition.

Stayed February 2008
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

My husband and I went to a conference at the Landsdowne. After reading mixed reviews, I wasn't too sure what to expect. What a pleasant surprise!!!! The location was more "in town" than out of town. It was in great proximity to good shopping and restaurants, but away enough that you felt like you were secluded. The staff was very welcoming and polite - and were very attentive. The rooms were wonderful and the bed was probably the most comfortable I've ever slept in!!! There was a small coffee maker (only one cup) so that was a little disappointing. The breakfast downstairs was a buffet and it was incredible - the variety was great! The dinner buffets weren't as good - and we only went to the one restaurant. The other ones were a bar and a 5 course restaurant. The views were nice, and the weather was a little warm so we were able to walk the grounds some. I'd love to go back when it's warmer! My husband and I talked about making this "our" place to visit once a year. A def. romantic getaway - I highly recommend it for everyone!!

• Liked — proximity to shopping and restaurants but being a "resort" getaway as well!
  • Disliked — no fridge or big coffee maker in room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

My husband and I were looking for a nice place to take a mini weekend getaway (2 nights) and we definitely found it here. We booked the "Ignite your passion" package which included breakfast in bed, champange, and flowers in your room at admission. The facilities were comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful and the massages were fantastic. If i had one complaint it would be the food. We had appetizers/bar food the "Stonewalls Tavern" which was mediocre at best. Our dinner at the "Potomac" was delicious but the portions were miniscule and the price was expensive. Lucky for us, we're from the area and knew of places within driving distance that were equally good and more reasonable. Despite this, we had a really great time. We'll definitely keep this one on the list!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

My husband and I stayed for a Saturday night. We were given a gift certificate for a free night stay with Sunday Brunch.
Everyone was polite from the doorman to the restaurant staff.
This is a very nice property and have no complaints about the ambiance or decor. The room was large w/ a seperate area for the desk. The bed comfortable and the shower nice. Only complaint is the outdated TV. We rented a pay-per-view movie, which wasn't cheap, but the TV quality made the experience less then exceptional. We don't golf, so can't comment on that, but the indoor pool was enjoyable as was the whirlpool. The Sunday Brunch was great! The food was really good and there was a large variety of choices, oysters on the half shell, omelets, crab claws, fruit, salmon, caviar, waffles, etc......Also, a great dessert spread and all you can drink Mimosa's & Bloody Mary's!
Bottom line, I would stay again if given the chance.

• Liked — Sunday Brunch
  • Disliked — TV
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

The hotel was just not what you expect it to be....and the staff
is very rude. We had a group of (20+) friends, all in town for
someone's 40th birthday party. After the birthday party we all
arrived back at the resort to sit in the bar and enjoy ourselves.
We found out that the bar does not serve food past 11, and
we were all a little hungry, so we ordered pizza to be delivered.
You'd figure if the bar doesn't serve food and there is no
place to get food in the hotel at this hour, that would be fine for
a hotel guest to order pizza. Well when the pizza arrived the
bar staff kicked us out of the bar and said we were not allowed
to bring outside food into the place, but didn't have any food
to offer us. We were the only group in the bar, no one else
was around....the bar staff gave us the check immediatly and
told us to get out with our pizza. They would rather lose a customer then let them enjoy one slice of pizza with a hugh
bar tab. It was unreal how they treated a customer, I've never
been treated so rude over something so small.

The hotel rooms were old, small and dirty. The rooms are
overpriced for what you get.

• Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!