“Last Minute Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Carrollton, Virginia
“Last Minute Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I suprised my girlfriend with a last minute trip to Lansdowne Resort just because, everyone from reservations to the checkin staff made our experance a first class event. We arrived pushed for time with dinner reservations in the balance, the front desk contacted and adjusted our time so we could be properly prepared, dinner was great and the summer concert was entertaining too. The following morning breakfest was fantastic with eveything imaginable. Afterwards a tour of the grounds was a wonderful way to reconnect after a hard week. We signed up for the Spa treatment for couples and were surprised at how well everything was done; we never wanted to leave!!!, we got to come back for the rest of the day and just enjoyed all of the facilities. Everything was clean and well kept. Finally, when we had to say goodbye, we asked for a good greek/Italian restaurant, and was pleasantly suprised with where they sent us. Great food. We have now re-booked for the labor day weekend and will use their facilitiy as our jumping off point for a wonderful vaction for the Kids before school starts, at the Adventure Park just north of Leesburg. Hoping for another great experience from Lansdowne Resorts.!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lansdowne_PR_Manager, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear David M,
We couldn't be more thrilled to hear the enthusiasm you've shared here regarding your stay with us at Lansdowne Resort. It is our goal to make all our guests feel at home. Thank you for your comments about the staff and how accommodating they were to you. We’re glad you enjoyed the talents of our culinary staff and your spa appointments were relaxing and enjoyable. We look forward to your return in September and hope you have a wonderful vacation before the kids go back to school.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

At first glance, the hotel seems nice. However, when we walked into our room, all we could notice was a very pungent, moldy smell. It smelled like the air conditioner had been leaking for months and mold was in the walls. Also, there is a $20 hidden "resort fee". This was not disclosed to us when checking in. They simply slipped a bill for $20 under my door in the morning. When I discussed it with management upon checking out, he was rude and patronizing. He seemed almost giddy to inform me that it is hidden in the fine print of the paperwork that is signed when checking in. I got a very sleazy, used car salesman vibe from the management. Kind of like they were thinking, "We've got you and there's nothing you can do about it." I travel often for business and have never experienced this level of poor customer service anywhere. Overall, our stay at this hotel was very unpleasant. I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012
bristow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband surprised me with an overnight stay at Lansdowne Resort for our wedding anniversary. Once arriving we were greeted with first class service and when checking in Dave made sure we had the room we wanted and held our bags so we could enjoy the amazing facilities that they offer. They have 3 outdoor pools; one of those being VERY child friendly with a water slide, water fountain play area and a nice gradual slope into the pool. The other two pools are more adult oriented so you can get some resting time away from the kiddos. They also had a live band playing and a fire pit that the kids can make smores on in the evening. We had dinner at their Stonewall's restaurant and had a very pleasant server named Rachael. It was a casual atmosphere that provided a intimate environment for my husband and I to enjoy and the food was great. The rooms are ample in size, updated and extremely clean. We enjoyed our stay so much that we are already planning to bring our daughters back for us to create some lasting memories of a fun time!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Insider tip: If you're flying United via Dulles, and your connection gets screwed up, then if you're lucky, this is where United will send you overnight.

It's about a 25-minute shuttle ride from IAD and I was beginning to wonder where on earth I'd end up, but on arrival, it's clearly worth it. However, don't expect anything to eat or drink if you arrive after midnight. There was a very limited menu at 11pm (chicken caesar salad or enchilladas) but at least I got something ...

As I was traveling trans-Atlantic, I had to wait until the following evening for the next available flight, so killed the time by booking in to the spa. Nicely done but not at all cheap ...

Windows in the rooms are sealed shut, which is annoying as I always appreciate some fresh air, even if it's 100 degrees F fresh, at least to change the air in the room.

I enjoyed the complimentary internet and appreciated two bottles of water on my bedside table.
What I didn't enjoy so much was the 3am "false alarm" fire drill - but I guess human error can happen anywhere. An apology the following morning from the front desk staff would not have gone amiss...

I didn't have a car but heard there was a factory brands mall down the road in Leesburg, but this time around the spa took priority over shopping.

Will I be back? Well, I will certainly be flying United through IAD next time around, just in case lightning strikes twice.

Room Tip: Fly United, wait for them to screw up and miss your connection :-). Be NICE to the United staff when...
Orlando
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Internet at this hotel moves slower than dialup. I did a test and it moves at .1mb per second. I asked for help repeatedly and the IT guy on-site didn't have any answers and couldn't reach his supervisor. I asked for help from the front desk many times. Working on a major presentation and have a team around the world but couldn't transfer files the night before. Finally the manager Jay appeared at the front desk and he said they were going to upgrade at some point. After four hours of trying to get their help, I had to go to Starbucks to get Internet - something no business traveler should have to do at a modern hotel that is attempting to attract business clientele. The bathroom floors were wet with feet print when I arrived. Room service menu is VERY limited.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Lansdowne_PR_Manager, General Manager at Lansdowne Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear TastefulTrekker,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Our goal is to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own high standards. We would like to extend our sincerest apologies on behalf of our IT department for the less than pleasing experience you encountered with your internet connection. We are addressing the issues with our IT Department. Thank you again for writing and we sincerely hope that you allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our true level of hospitality and product.

Lloyd Williams
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My family was looking for a quick weekend getaway from DC and decided on this place instead of the Hyatt at Chesapeake Bay simply because we wouldn't have to deal with Bay Bridge traffic on Sunday.

I think we started to regret our decision within the first couple of hours there.

We arrived around lunchtime on Friday and checking-in was very easy. The weather was looking a little gloomy, so we decided to have lunch at the Clubhouse instead of going outside the resort to eat. We were seated at a nice outside table and were content until 2 tables of kids were relocated next to ours. I would have been okay with it (we were there, after all with our 2 kids) if they were monitored by parents, but apparently they were eating inside so there really wasn't anyone monitoring their kids outside. Most of them were behaved well enough, but the noise and constant moving around by these kids was really not the start of the relaxing vacation that I was looking forward too (I hadn't taken a day off of work in almost 6 months.)

The pool that was open was nice (they have 3 outdoor and 1 indoor) and our older child really enjoyed the slide. But the rains came in the next day so all outside activities were a no go. What puzzled me was that there were supposedly all these arranged activities for the kids all day, but I don't think that any arrangements were made by the hotel to fall back on in lieu of inclement weather. We were really disappointed that the band didn't play Friday night. There seemed to be ample inside space for an alternate location for a performance, but I guess the resort thought it would be easier just to cancel it all together.

One of the things that came with our package was free parking at the Udvar-Hazy Center of the Air and Space Museum. So on the rainy day, we decided to take advantage of the discount. However, when we got to the parking gates, the manager told us that the coupon was no good. We called the hotel from the car who then told us to wait by the gates so they could talk to someone at the museum. After about 15 minutes they called us back and told us that they would just refund the money if we paid at the gate. Couldn't they have done that when we first call without making us wait in our car in the rain?

The rooms were okay, but there was definite aging showing. Whether be marks on the walls, accumulated dust on the air vents or just worn out fixtures, you can tell this place was very nice when it first opened, but because of the economics or lack of enthusiasm by the staff, these little things just seemed to be left alone and not attended to. Also, the pillows definitely need an upgrade; there was no fluff whatsoever in them.

We really did enjoy the breakfast buffet that came with our room. There was a pretty large selection of food, and there are nice vistas of the area you can see from the breakfast room. The service was also nice at the lounge. We enjoyed the free pool and the Wii play.

A major saving grace for us was that the room wasn't as expensive as the one at the Chesapeake. I think we would have felt worse spending more money only to have one of our days taken away because of rain (there is a huge indoor pool at the Chesapeake, but I would imagine it being to crowded to have any fun.)

We may try to go back to try an overnight to golf there sometime (hopefully the weather will cooperate better), but I think we're going to explore alternative area resorts before we do.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

This is an excellent location for conferences and special events. While I was there for a conference, the resort also hosted 2 weddings and I never felt crowded. The food was great and the rooms were a good size. It seemed like a good place for families, girls' weekend, or a golfing trip. I definitely plan to return.

Room Tip: Join Destination Delivers (their reward program) to receive an upgrade and discounted rates.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Leesburg
#6 of 7 in Leesburg
3.5 of 5 stars 188 reviews
Springhill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Courtyard by Marriott Dulles Town Center

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!