“Stay somewhere else, rude staff” 1 of 5 stars

Lansdowne Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   44050 Woodridge Parkway, Leesburg, VA 20176   |
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Leesburg
PA
“Stay somewhere else, rude staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

The hotel was just not what you expect it to be....and the staff
is very rude. We had a group of (20+) friends, all in town for
someone's 40th birthday party. After the birthday party we all
arrived back at the resort to sit in the bar and enjoy ourselves.
We found out that the bar does not serve food past 11, and
we were all a little hungry, so we ordered pizza to be delivered.
You'd figure if the bar doesn't serve food and there is no
place to get food in the hotel at this hour, that would be fine for
a hotel guest to order pizza. Well when the pizza arrived the
bar staff kicked us out of the bar and said we were not allowed
to bring outside food into the place, but didn't have any food
to offer us. We were the only group in the bar, no one else
was around....the bar staff gave us the check immediatly and
told us to get out with our pizza. They would rather lose a customer then let them enjoy one slice of pizza with a hugh
bar tab. It was unreal how they treated a customer, I've never
been treated so rude over something so small.

The hotel rooms were old, small and dirty. The rooms are
overpriced for what you get.

• Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

620 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

We were told that if we got the weekend escape we would not have to leave the hotel. With 5 restaurants on site, a spa, indoor pool and breakfast in our room, if we preferred, what could go wrong?

1. Two of the places in the clubhouse close down around 6 o'clock on this Saturday night.
2. We could not eat in the Tavern or the Grille because they were closed off for private parties.
3. Our choice was the fine dining restaurant - which averages $50/person with dinner and drink.So, we went out.
4. When we ordered breakfast to the room, we were told we had a $25 limit. Not bad, until you see that a basic breakfast costs $16, plus $3 delivery plus $3 gratuity plus $2 tax. That is without coffee or juice. So even though they promise breakfast in your room as part of the package, you really cannot get it without paying extra for a complete meal.
5. When we went down to dinner at the Grille on Sunday evening, the food was minimal, cold and inedible. Several things were left over from the brunch we had attended that morning. We were unable to eat the food, left a tip for the waitress and went out again.

Our $620.00 weekend away cost us over $900 after we paid for edible food and extras out of pocket that were part of the package.

If you go, plan to do things ala carte. Pay for the room, add what you
want and check out the food on the buffet before you sit down. We loved the room. the bellmen were wonderful and our waitress was incredible. If only the rest of the experience was as wonderful.

For example, when I questioned the "manager on duty" he was more than a little rude and did nothing to help me. We left feeling taken advantage of and unappreciated. Doubt we will return.

• Liked — bellmen
  • Disliked — management/food
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2007

I enjoyed this resort very much. The room we had was elegant and cozy, the spa was great, and the location better than I thought.

Although the resort sits adjacent to shopping centers and neighborhoods, it did feel like we had gotten away. I recommend trying one of the nearby Wineries. We went to Tarara Winery and enjoy wine tasting. Afterwards we enjoyed shopping at the Leesburg Outlets which is literally a few miles away.

The resort rooms were excellent. They were clean, cozy, and the resort allows early check in, you just need to inform them at least the night before. I told the concierge that it was our anniversary and they sent us a complimentary bottle of champagne upon our arrival.

The only con about this resort is probably the restaurants. Although they look nice and classy, we browsed through the menus and peeked at the buffet and did not think it was worth the prices. Instead we visited the local town center and found an excellent seafood and steak restaurant. Can't remember the name but it's a sister restaurant of Sweet Water Tavern. I highly recommend it.

We also went to the spa which was wonderful. The service was great, the massages were great, and the steam room, sauna, and whirl pool were great. Will go back again.

TIP: I purchased my weekend package online when they were having a featured special: about $160 per night + a free $50 gift card to spend at the resort.

• Liked — the room and spa
  • Disliked — the expensive restaurants
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
North Potomac, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2007

My wife and I stayed one night for our 10th anniversary. We've stayed at nice resorts before. My wife stated it this way, "It seems like they're trying hard to be a really nice resort, but some things just don't flow." She says that at the spa, it seems like they thought they needed quiet music, so they ordered the quiet musac without a thought to how it sounded, rather than putting together something themselves. The architecture and design seemed kind of cookie-cutter for the price.

Also, we were put 2 doors down from the Presidential Suite. There were signs taped to the wall saying "35th anniversary party - Presidential Suite." This meant there were lots of drunk, loud people in their 60's late at night making noise in the hallway. When we called to complain at midnight, they said they had no idea there was a party on our floor (which seems wrong, since there were signs). They offered to change our room, but we didn't want to pack everything up and get dressed at midnight. We did find they knocked $100 off our room rate the next morning, which was very nice.

I ordered champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to be delivered to our room while we were out at the spa. When we got back, there was a card saying we should call for our amenity when we wanted it delivered since they didn't want to disturb us. This ruined the surprise. The chocolate tasted "soapy" according to my wife.

All in all it is a nice resort, but not quite worth the expensive price tag.

• Liked — Customer Service
  • Disliked — Value
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Owego, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

I've been to Lansdowne several times over the last seven years for corporate conferences. It's always been a great place to stay, and even better since they started remodeling several years ago. LOVE the new decor, and the spa is fantastic. Everywhere you look is someting beautiful, and that includes the views. I will also say that overall, they've always fed us well. While sometimes the banquet food can be a little lacking, the Lansdowne Grill, conference snack stations and butlered appetizers are all fantastic. A co-worker and I made the mistake of ordering a pizza from room service one night this time, though, and that was a mistake. For $30, we go what could best be described as an 8-inch flavorless disc seemingly procured from Wal-Mart. Ugh. The new Clubhouse is gorgeous, and the buffet banquet they did for us there was really nice. The wines this year were particularly good. Another high point is the new spa. I had a fantastic massage therapist who was friendly and made me confortable, and the new relaxation rooms, whirlpool, sauna and steamroom in the locker room were all top drawer. Loved the bathing suit dryer, too! Overall, this place is great, but there are always one or two little ticks that can derail your experience. For instance, why aren't there lights in the shower? It's terribly dark in there, and shaving is trecherous. Little things like that, and the disastrous pizza, can make a big difference in a place that's trying to be as high caliber as Lansdowne is.

• Liked — Decor; spa
  • Disliked — room service; rooms are dark
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

Had a girl’s weekend at the resort on the 9-29. Lansdowne was far enough to get away, but close enough to make it home to kids if need be.

We had massages and pedicures at Spa Minerale.

I've had plenty of massages and I can honestly say that this massage was the WORST massage I've ever gotten. There was no flow to my therapist's movements. She was rough (abrupt) and not gentle at all. The massage was spotty. Most of the time, it felt like she was digging vs. working on the muscles. I was so miserable that mid way through, I couldn't wait for the massage to end. Put me out of my misery.

My normal therapist gives me so much more for so much less.

My entire stay at Lansdowne has been disappointing. The plumbing was very loud. You could hear the bathroom flushing all night long. I expected a more luxurious feel to the resort and unfortunately I didn't get it. Wouldn't recommend, wouldn't return. Not worth the money you pay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Spa service, loud bathroom
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

If you are a traveler that has high expectations of a resort and expects to get what you pay for, then you may not want to choose this hotel. In general this hotel is very inconsistent.

•I’m not a big fan of the décor although I know that other people liked it. I had a suite and the bathroom (shower & tub section) looked like I was staying in one of those budget hotels – NOT AT ALL WHAT I WOULD EXPECT FROM A SUITE)
•Some staff is very friendly and attentive whereas some others are not. Our wine & antipasto never came to our room and when we mentioned it to the front desk they responded to me as if I were not telling the truth. They were not rude, but I got the feeling they did not believe me. Maybe that is why I still never had it delivered to my room.
•Our first request for a refrigerator went unresolved as it did not arrive until I asked a second time.
•Our tee time for golf was bumped 30 minutes
•The spa appointment was cancelled without notification because an employee called in sick and we were made to wait 30 minutes for a different spa appointment.
•The restaurants had some very nice food but I did have some issues in the Riverside Hearth restaurant. Silverware had to be requested because it was missing on 2 occasions. I had a very dirty coffee cup and when I asked to have it removed, not only did he give me a look like I was being picky, he doubled checked that it was dirty. The server never said sorry, even after he saw how dirty it was. One thing that really annoyed me was I went for the breakfast buffet on the first morning there at 10:20 AM. I was not told that buffet ends at 10:30. Even though they were seating people for the buffet up to 10:30. They came around to my table just after I sat down to tell me that they are breaking down so if you need anything you have to go up now. They were pulling stuff away as I got up there. I never heard of a buffet where they seat you up to 10:30 and then start taking the food away.

If you do not travel often and can deal with all the inconsistencies then this place is ok. Me on the other hand for $420 golf & spa package (small suite) I expected to have commitments honored and things done on time with a smile.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Lansdowne Resort? Share your experiences!