“Needs some help” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 hotels in Leesburg
VA
“Needs some help”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I booked this because of the old house allure that was attached to the hotel and right on a busy road. Unfortunately the old house needed lots of work and was really tired, peeling paint, worn carpet, etc. There was lots of trash around the hotel and outdoor dining where we parked in the event parking lot. Also lots of wild cats greeted us as we exited our car that night...really scary since we just had one at our house that had rabies. This needs to be addressed for safety. Very loud parties going on during the night. Bathroom paper peeling, grout dirty and pulled away from wall. Room had nice decor, smelled musty and a/c didn't cool well enough for a comfortable sleep. Breakfast buffet was fine but took forever to get waited on for other articles. Front night clerk was very rude upon checkin...she should be better trained. Won't stay here again.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Arlington, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I suppose the regular motel rooms are OK, but we opted for the "romance package" since it was our anniversary, in the historic hall. It would help to have more info. about the history - there was none. The room needed refurbishing - no bedspread, shades broken, missed opportunities for colonial touches. No champagne as promised in the add, and the pool needed maintenance. Neither front desk nor restaurant was familiar with what the "romance package" included. Restaurant fare predominantly sandwiches, although good quality. The next morning, the man at the desk was polite, helpful and reduced our rates.
Location is not easy to get to, is not convenient to downtown Leesburg, and might work of you were booking on Priceline, got a refurbished motel, not historic, room, didn't care to know much history, and don't plan to swim.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
York, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Rooms were nicely decorated but were not ready for check in till about 4pm. We were on the first floor and the floor above creaked so badly that we thought that the person above might fall through. The airconditioner was dirty and smelled musty. Breakfast took 45 minutes to be served. We asked to see the manager and he never came to our table. Skip this hotel!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Richmond
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

I am a musician had a double booked show for 2 nights in Leesburg and Purcellville so I needed a room for Friday night and the day on Saturday. The staff was very friendly and made me feel at home. I grew up in the area and has passed the mansion many times, and had never dreamed I would say there, as I know live in Richmond. I found everything must have been renovated reading the other reviews here- it was very nice !

The only complaint I might have is my bathroom door would not shut all the way. But the room was very clean and they had a nice flat panel TV and nicely furnished inside. It was very good for the money. Clean towels, shower, and sinks. The beds were nice and comfortable (and believe you me, I hate sleeping in hotels!). But it wasnt a problem. The location to Leesburg, Sterling, and other areas in Loudoun is a great plus. The carpets and everything were immaculate. I couldnt have found a better place near Leesburg in a pinch.

The only other thing I didnt like, was coming from Leesburg you cannot make a left into the entrance. You have to drive 1/4 mile and then make a U-Turn at the next light on Rt. 7. Still, I found the location great and I enjoyed my stay. Much better than the tacky Best Western in town !

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

Leesburg is incredibly convenient to the Point of Rocks MARC commuter rail station, making it an ideal location if looking for a quieter trip to the DC area. Day trips to the Capital are simple, hassle-free and cheap, and there are many historic sites in the nearby area if you just want to take a "hotel day."

The enormous rates DC hotels were charging during the Inauguration made it impossible to stay close-in, so the Holiday Inn Leesburg was a nice find at a reasonable price for a busy week.

I did have a slight glitch upon check-in. The clerk told me that my stay had been pre-paid through Orbitz, which I knew not to be true. It took quite awhile to sort out this issue, but in the end it didn't matter as much as it did at the time.

There were many school groups in the hotel while we were there; possibly due to the Inauguration; this might not be a common thing for the hotel.

The grounds are charming... don't miss the rockers on the porch, or the cozy Tavern.

Enjoyed my stay here. Would consider staying again if looking for a more relaxing, less action-packed tourist visit to the DC area, given the convenience and ease of the MARC train!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
charlotte
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

This was a nightmare...had traveled from Charlotte for a wedding in Leesburg. The hotel smelled bad and we had to have our keycards fixed twice at check-in. Some abusive idiot left their poor dog all alone in a room down the hall from us and it could not help but to yipyap constantly yet annoyingly. We asked to be moved to the other side of the hotel or at least a floor without abusive pet owners. This was very inconvient because of the events of the wedding weekend...there were holes in the bed linens, the floor had not been vacuumed, we found sunflower seeds on the floor in between the beds, the TV volume did not work, etc. No continental breakfast...a HIGH CARB/HIGH FAT breakfast buffet was all that was available and the construction around the hotel was unbearable without warning. AND...I complained to the manager at the hotel and over the phone to a representative without anything to show except for the miserable experience at $140 a night.

• Liked — this would be a terrific place for people with yappy dogs...oh and for nasty dirty people
  • Disliked — the woman at the front desk that didn't speak English...or understand it
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

Got a great rate on Priceline.com Request to property for two beds was not handled nicley by hotel reservations, but a return call to the front desk handled my request. The hotel was not full for thanksgiving and I should not have been told "My system can't change to two beds".

Hotel is very clean, staff very pleasant and the rooms & grounds were in excellent shape. The hotel has been updated with new beds, lines, flat panel tv etc. Very nice hotel.

• Liked — Updated & Clean Rooms
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Leesburg At Carradoc Hall? Share your experiences!