“At least there was hot water” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
Washington DC
“At least there was hot water”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed one night on a weekend in June, because we were attending a local wedding. We were taken aback by the outside of the hotel, which looks like it hasn't been painted or maintained in many years, and by the dated and dingy interior. Our room was on the second floor...and surprise, there were no elevators so we had to drag the luggage up the stairs. The front desk clerk said that there were no elevators because the hotel was "historic", but I find it hard to believe that the 1950s vintage rooms were really historic in any way that prevented the installation of elevators or central A/C.

The room was an adequate size, but jammed full of furniture (2 beds, desk, armoire, bench, desk, arm chair, ottoman etc.) so there was no room to move. It was quite dark, and the lamps had inadequate wattage to comfortably read or see. It was too dark to see if the room was really clean, but we did not see any bedbugs or visible stains on the bed. When we checked in, the maids had forgotten to supply any toiletries to the room - there wasn't even any soap - but we were able to run them down in the hallway and they found some soap after scrounging on their cart for about 5 minutes. The bathroom floor had loose tiles that moved when you walked on them, but seemed clean enough. And there was plenty of hot water. The A/C was provided by a window unit that was incredibly loud and inadequate to cool the entire room. It would go on for about 5 minutes at a time (and was VERY loud) but the cool air only reached about 3 feet from the unit, so the majority of the room was quite stuffy and uncomfortably warm all night (note it was only 80 degrees during the day when we were there so it was not heat-wave conditions).

Regarding the bar/restaurant - I went to bed after the wedding, but S went to the bar and was there from about 11 pm to 2 am (closing time). He said that the bartender was surly and service was poor. I can believe it, because the next morning at breakfast the service was ABYSMAL. It was a buffet and they were out of food by 8.45 am when we arrived. It took about 15 minutes to replenish the food, and they immediately ran out of eggs again. The restaurant is quite small - 40 seats max - but it took the surly and incredibly slow waiter 20 minutes to bring coffee, 60 minutes to bring water, and he never brought the juice we requested. We repeatedly requested refills of the coffee but the waiter would not refill our coffees or bring the juice. Why the hotel just doesn't have a coffee urn and a few beverage pitchers is beyond me.

All in all, I was unfavorably reminded of my college backpacking trip to eastern Europe and my stays in some god-awful communist hotels. Not what you would expect in the richest county in the USA!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leesburg At Carradoc Hall, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear AlexeiM,

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 1 night on 8 June. The only good thing about the hotel is the shuttle which picks you up from Dulles airport and can also send you to the Leesburg Corner Premium Outlets. Everything else was a little disappointment, from the driver who lost his way, rooms that looks old, noise level as there's some party going on etc. If not for the shuttle, hotels nearer to Dulles are lilkely to be better choices. The other hotel that I stayed at, Aloft, was a lot better. But I needed the shuttle as I didn't drive.

Room Tip: Ask them for a room that's on first floor. There's no lift and if you have a lot of luggage...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leesburg At Carradoc Hall, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear lihchin,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I greatly regret that your stay with us was not up to your standards. I am really sorry about the level of noise created by some of the other guests at the hotel during your stay. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D
Newark, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was atteneding a local event and stayed for one night. The staff was a pleasure to deal with, the restaurant was cozy, attentive service and a menu with a little something for everyone. The room was clean and quiet. My only disappoint was that it was indicated there would be a microwave in the room and there was not. Was only one night so no big deal. The free breakfast was fantastic and it put to shame several other hotels I had stayed at previously in Leesburg. A 5 star breakfast for sure. Will definitely book again when I am in town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Providence, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

First room we had STUNK...like someone had died in there. Front desk clerk showed up with a bottle of Fabreeze! The AC didn't work...they switched us quickly and the next room the AC didn't work for like 15 minutes and then kicked on. We were too exhausted so we stayed put. Stayed 2 nights--front desk discounted first...overall it was a place to flop.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leesburg At Carradoc Hall, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear DAVIDE777,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. We are happy to read we were able to address the issues in a timely manner. However, we regret that your stay was negatively affected by the unusual smell of the rooms and poor air conditioning unit. We will address the matters with the respective departments in order to avoid these unnecessary issues in the future. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our service and we are grateful that you brought this matter into our attention. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future and provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N
Rockville MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

stayed overnight for a wedding at Whitehall Manor and was impressed by the room. the furnishings were up to date, everything worked, and it was clean. Parking is plentiful, although it may be a little hike to your room; the hotel was designed around a non-descript pool.

Room Tip: get a room away from the restaurant if you go on a weekend. the bar is a local hangout and patrons...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Bethesda, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My fiancé and I recently had a terrible experience dealing with the Holiday Inn in Leesburg for our wedding block. We highly recommend that everyone reconsider when looking to do business with the folks at the Holiday Inn in Leesburg.

We reached out to the hotel to reserve a block of rooms for the weekend of our wedding. We worked directly with Shamika McGee. From the beginning, Ms. McGee was very unresponsive - it routinely took several emails/calls to get her to return one of our queries. When we finally did speak with her, we reserved 20 rooms for our wedding weekend. After quickly realizing that wouldn't be enough, we updated our room total to 40 via email with Ms. McGee, which was confirmed via email.

Several of our guests complained of difficulty in booking their rooms - the hotel had told multiple people that the room block didn't exist. For our guests that did book, several had to call multiple times to finally get a room reserved. In May, we learned from a guest the hotel told them that not only was our block full, but the hotel was also at capacity, therefore not taking anymore reservations. We didn't think it was possible that all 40 rooms in the block were already booked, so we contacted Ms. McGee. We learned that she never updated the room block in the system even though she confirmed our increase via email. Instead of helping us find a solution to her mistake, she told my fiancé that “she couldn’t find us any other rooms” and "we should probably start looking for additional hotel options."

We asked Ms. McGee for the number of guests that booked a room in our hotel block, and she was unable to give us a straightforward answer – she came back to us several times with several different numbers. When we finally asked for a list of those that had booked, she emailed us a list of 17 rooms - meaning that not only did the hotel not update our initial request for 40 rooms, but they also didn't even honor our initial request for 20 rooms.

We contacted the general manager, Jay Javid, to express our frustrations with Ms. McGee and the entire process. Mr. Javid was very nice in our initial conversation. He assured us that he did not want to lose our business and he would take care of our wedding block. He said he needed to look into a few things and would call us back. We waited the rest of the week (4 days) for him to call us back. At the end of the week, we contacted him again and left a voicemail. We waited 3 more days and left another voicemail - again, we heard nothing back. As of today, it has been a total of 2 weeks since our initial conversation, and Jay Javid has not returned one of my phone calls.

As a result of the incompetence by Holiday Inn Leesburg and the lack of a response from anyone at their hotel, we decided to switch hotels. We had to redo the following tasks and incurred the following incremental expenses:

- We had to find a new hotel that could accommodate all of our guests. Since there are not many hotels in Leesburg, we had to reserve a block at a hotel in Reston, VA - a 25 minute drive from Leesburg.
- We had to contact all of our guests and tell them of the hotel change. Those guests that already booked their rooms had to cancel their reservations and make new reservations at the new hotel.
- We had to cancel our rehearsal dinner in Leesburg and find a new rehearsal dinner location closer to our hotel in Reston.
- We have to obtain an extra shuttle to take guests to/from the wedding location in Leesburg on the wedding day. This is the biggest cost, since each shuttle is over $1000.

Since I was not able to get in touch with anyone at the Holiday Inn via phone, I emailed their customer service page explaining that I’d like to cancel after we secured the hotel above. I then received a phone call from June Priesner, who works at Baywood Hotels – the parent company that owned the Holiday Inn in Leesburg. Ms. Priesner was nice on the phone and wanted to get to the bottom of the situation. She offered to provide a 10-15 person shuttle for us free of charge. While a nice gesture, this wouldn’t help us, as we need two 50-60 person shuttles to transfer all of our guests to the wedding, so we turned down the offer. She explained that she would not provide any financial assistance for the additional shuttles we had to purchase, which was unfortunate.

It has become increasingly clear to us that the Holiday Inn Leesburg doesn't care about our business. If they did, they would have treated us right the first time or at least contacted us back to correct their mistakes. While Ms. Priesner’s offer of a shuttle was nice, it was far too little and too late. One 10-15 person shuttle wouldn’t put a dent in the number of people we needed transferred. Additionally, I shouldn’t have to write a nasty email to customer service to get someone to contact me.

If you are looking to book a room or a block of rooms in the Leesburg area, do yourself a favor and stay away from the Holiday Inn Leesburg. Dealing with them has been a terrible experience. I can, without a doubt, say that I will never stay at the Holiday Inn in Leesburg. I cannot stress enough that you all do the same. I am a consultant who travels often and spends about 40 nights a year in hotels, and I have never seen such poor customer service in the hospitality industry. I used to consider most InterContinental Hotel brands good options, but I will give a second thought in the future – especially towards Holiday Inn brands.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leesburg At Carradoc Hall, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Michael L,

Pam G
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I'm from the Twin Cities and have spent over 200 nights at this hotel the last couple of years. I'm in Virginia for business all of the time, and these folks go out out their way to make sure my comfort is taken care of

Mr. Brooks (General Manager) really sets a relaxing tone with his staff, and everyone takes the extra steps making sure my needs are met. Beds are very comfortable, staff is great, water is hot for my morning shower and the beer is cold. Outstanding!! Friendly location allowing for easy shopping, fine dinning and easy access to airports. Highly recommend!!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms located close to entrance/exit doors within the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Leesburg At Carradoc Hall? Share your experiences!