“Knowledgeable staff, wine good enough to change my mind about Virginia” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Willowcroft Farm Vineyards

Type: Wineries
Activities: Wine tasting
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A winery where people can do wine-tasting and even volunteer with the harvest - a real hands-on learning experience.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
14 attraction reviews
“Knowledgeable staff, wine good enough to change my mind about Virginia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I saw a deal online, maybe through Travelzoo or Living Social- and got two tastings, a cheese and cracker tray, and a bottle to take home for $20. Not a bad deal. I figured at least it would be a nice way to spend the day, even if I wouldn't enjoy the wine. I was pleasantly surprised. The Riesling Vidal Blanc tastes like crisp green apples and I was happy to bring it home with me. Same with Claire, a dessert wine that screams of peaches (and would be amazing with a summer cobbler). The place is rustic and a little off the beaten-path, but there are paved roads (if you go the right way). The knowledgeable staff also pointed us in the direction of other places we'll love, so now we have plans for future summer outings. All in all, a terrific deal, very kind knowledgeable people, and a vineyard that's been around long enough (30 years) to know what's what.

Visited June 2012

richmond, virginia
21 attraction reviews
“Rustic Winery with decent wines”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our visit to Willowcroft. The man pouring our tastings was funny and really knowledgable about the wine. The tasting room is in an old barn...very rustic. The wine was pretty good too...not mind blowing, but some delicious choices. Overall, a nice stop in Northern Virginia.

Visited January 2012
Maryland
11 attraction reviews
“Scenic, rustic but interesting winery”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

Willowcroft is quite a way down an unpaved road, so were were glad that we had a nice day to visit. They say it is the oldest winery in Loudoun County. There is a nice expansive view, and the tasting room is in a converted barn. The barn is authentic, with the restrooms situated in stalls across the hallway from the tasting room. We had a coupon offer through Capitol Deals that covered two tastings, a cheese and cracker platter, and had enough credit left to cover a bottle of wine (all for $20). The young woman who served us was quite knowledgeable and she explained about how they harvest the grapes and so forth. The tasting room is small, but there appears to be more space upstairs. There were two whites we enjoyed: 2009 Riesling
Muscat-Ottonelm and a 2009 Traminette, which is described as a Gewurtztraminer hybrid, so we bought a bottle of the latter. It is worth the trip to Willowcroft.

Visited March 2011