“Great History Lesson” 5 of 5 stars

Route 15, Leesburg, VA 22075
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 72 things to do in Leesburg
More attraction details
Owner description: A historic garden property administered by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great History Lesson”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My tour guide was quite informed and enthusiastic. Despite the hot weather she kept my attention and I learned quite a lot about the original owners, The Carters. In an effort to be "politically correct", the roadway sign actually states that the property is the Oatlands House and Gardens. Using the word 'plantation' versus 'house' is fine. It perfectly describes the property's history. Also, I am fine with them mentioning 'slaves' versus the 'enslaved community'. It's all the same difference. I am African American and fully understand that slavery was a part of American History. Overall, Oatlands is a beautiful property.

Visited July 2014

Scottsdale, Arizona
350 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 324 helpful votes
“Interesting history.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

great place to learn the history of the area and learn how things were done back in the day. went here on school field trips. now that i am older, i appreciate it more.

Visited July 2014
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Afternoon retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

What a beautiful gem near D.C! We took our own picnic lunch to enjoy on the grounds of the plantation before heading up to the house and garden. The afternoon was perfect for walking, playing catch with a ball, reading a book or just sitting and enjoying the warm sun and light breeze. Once we got to the house, we were greeted by our docent, Liz. She is absolutely delightful, infusing the history with life! Who knew so many renowned people had connections to this place? She hosted the tour on the first floor only. The second floor was a self-guided tour if one wished to see it. Then, the gardens were beautiful, almost magical. In some places it was if we were in a storybook. Strolling through the various sections, I could just visualize the guests of old as they arrived for weekend retreat from the stress of D.C. life!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank rambler7
Washington DC
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“The best Christmas Teas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Reserve early for any of their Christmas Teas. They are fun, delicious, beautifully set, visit historic mansion, great photo taking opportunities. It is a family tradition for many years to have Tea at the Oatlands. Thank you.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank L Y
Charles Town, West Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Saw my first ghost here!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I grew up in Leesburg in the 60s and 70s when the Pearsons managed the estate and was fortunate to have their daughter as my best friend. Since they also ran the grounds and the mansion, we ran all over the place. Some of my best memories are there. However, we did witness a lady from another time sipping tea on the grounds. Scared me half to death! Have been out there recently and am sorry to say, it's not all about history anymore, it's all about money. On the other hand, the grounds are still lovely and the interior of the Big House remains the same. The only thing that's missing are "down to earth" locals who truly love the Estate and are well read on the history. Oatlands has los its local flavor.

Visited May 2013