“Mean, stingy manager! Avoid unless desperate” 1 of 5 stars

El Charrito Mexican Restaurant
652 N. Main Street, Kilmarnock, VA
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: This restaurant was a nice surprise to find on a Sunday. We had tried to find a "nonchain" restaurant open on a Sunday and found it extremely difficult. Finally, we found El Charrito and are so happy we did. The food and service were EXCELLENT!!
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Mean, stingy manager! Avoid unless desperate”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Literally just walked out. Ordered $30 of takeout (3 combo dinners and a cheese dip). We were given 1 bag of chips. Politely asked if we could have another bag of chips. Waitress told us it would $2.25. We asked if she could check w manager since we eat 4 baskets free when we eat in. And we ordered 3 dinners. And cheese dip. Manager said "$2.25 for another bag of chips". We should have ordered each combo dinner separately! They also tried to charge $1.99 to add onions to a $3 a la carte burrito. They just lost 4 very good customers (my parents usually eat in, not takeout, at least twice a month). And they didn't seem to care.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Connecticut, USA
“Even the Texas outlaws liked it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We've been meaning to try this place for years now, and finally went last week. I brought my in-laws (both born and raised in Texas) with me. My mother-in-law said they nailed the 3 things she looks for: margaritas, guacamole, and enchilada sauce. I had the enchiladas verdes, with chicken - seriously the best enchiladas verdes I've ever had. The chicken was moist and flavorful, verde sauce was spicy. In-laws had enchiladas rojos and chicken enchiladas (yes, we like enchiladas!) The service is very slow, but the waiter was very nice. We'll definitely be back!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Best Mexican Food I have ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I Have eatten at El Charrito Mexian Restaurant several times. They have the best Mexican food I have ever had. The servers are very nice. Service was quick and food was Great!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newport News, Virginia
“Went to this resturant for first time tonight”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Waited over an hour for food. When food arrived two meals were missing. Waited 20 minutes for the 2 meals. Spoke to manager and just blew me off stating orders are filled by when the order is placed,

Many tables were acknowledged ahead of us and tables received food before us.

Food was not good. Service was the worst I have experienced in a long time. Waiter un responsive.

Will not return

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Lancaster, Virginia
“Great carnitas and guacamole”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

The place isn't much to look at, but the food is superb!

I'll choose the Mexican-style guacamole (called something like that on the menu) and the carnitas as particularly good--and I've eaten there at least a half dozen times.

• Visited February 2013