My husband and I stayed at Keswick Hall on March 3/4, 2007. While the accommodations were comfortable, we were completely delighted with the dinner we had at Fossett's restaurant (off the main lobby w/ views overlooking the golf course/countryside).
ACCOMMODATIONS:We made reservations for the standard room which is much like a bed & breakfast accommodation, complete w/ a mounted fish head over the door which might have been fun and appropriate if you had been there with the fly fishing package they offered on the same weekend. :) The standard rooms and doors are in close proximity to one another and ours (#13) overlooked the hotel entrance and parking lot. The room was fine but we decided to upgrade to a junior suite (#39) which had a separate seating and a view of the golf course and we were very happy with the room and assistance in switching rooms.
DINING: We had afternoon tea in the library area which was very nice and definitely seemed like you were a guest in a country home. The highlight of our trip was dinner in Fossett's restaurant. My husband says this is the best meal he's had in Virginia and we've lived in various parts of the state for 10 years. The service was attentive and merits every superlative you can think of. From the server, Tim, to the managers, to the dining room attendants, everyone was polite, friendly, unobtrusive and eager to help. At one point just as the main course was coming out, my husband stepped outside. Within one minute, the manager was tableside and asked if he could keep the meal warm for my husband. When I declined, he said if we needed the meal heated up, it would be their pleasure to do so. The wine menu was impressive. The ingredients were fresh. The pairings were creative but not outlandish (like the brie appetizer which was topped w/ cherries and garlic, a tortilla and had a cracker as the bottom layer). Breakfast in the morning was equally delicious. They had probably the most perfectly toasted english muffin for my eggs benedict that I've ever had. In short, we thoroughly enjoyed our dining experiences and may go back just for that wonderful experience.
FITNESS: There are two walking routes on the estate (1.7 miles and 3+ miles). Both are on the paved roads and very pleasant. The Keswick Club is for members and hall guests only and we enjoyed the indoor hot tub and pool area and the nicely equipped workout area. A notch above most hotel gyms w/ a gorgeous view, three tvs w/ headphones provided. Approx. 7 cardio machines, nautilus machines, balls, free weights, open space and classes offered.
HALL SERVICE: The front desk staff member was friendly and helpful. It's a small desk inside the foyer. The doormen/valet were definitely hit or miss in terms of being at the front door though friendly when we encountered them. There seemed to be two on duty and they must have had many requests. Housekeeping was excellent.
SPECIAL TOUCHES: After checking in and having tea, we found a special plate of handmade truffles and fruit pate for husband's birthday which was just as nice as what we've had at various Four Seasons. Regional books abound throughout the hall and in your bedroom.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover Keswick Hall, a grand Italianate villa surrounded by a breathtaking 600 acre estate. Nestled in the rolling hills of Virginia's hunt country, bordering Charlottesville and the magnificent Blue Ridge Mountains, is a location best described by Mr Thomas Jefferson as "The Eden of the United States." With 48 unique and elegantly appointed guest rooms, relaxing spacious lounging areas with wood burning fireplaces, expansive terraces sharing unparalleled views, an abundance of sporting activities available, award-winning cuisine; makes this luxurious and inviting mansion truly the ultimate home away from home! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Despegar.com so you can book your Keswick Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Keswick Hall Hotel Keswick
- Hall At Monticello Charlottesville Keswick