“Very Nice, but Needs More Attention to Detail” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   701 Club Drive, Keswick, VA 22947   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Keswick
Alexandria, Virginny, USandA
“Very Nice, but Needs More Attention to Detail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

All in all, this was an enjoyable two-night stay in a very nice location. The inn is very well kept, with highly attentive staff, yet I have to point out a number of little things that really should be in better order for the prices being charged.

Check-in was fast and easy, after we waited a very long time in the small circular drive for two wedding limos to load items and people and then clear out. Sure, it’s a big night, and the inn isn’t that big of a place, so these two limos took up the entire roundabout, completely blocking it. I would think that the welcome staff would be alert enough to see other guests were waiting to check in, and come to us so we could conduct our business as well.

The grounds are very nice, and there is ample parking. You can self-park, and it’s a very short walk in, or they offer a free valet service from a couple of wonderful and very obliging gents.

We stayed in a junior suite, which comes in at more than seven bills/night. But, it’s not a suite in the traditional sense with a sitting room/parlor/living room, and the separate bedroom and bath. Given the space restrictions of the building, it’s really a top-floor corner room, larger in space, with the sitting area integrated into the bedroom in a corner. There is ample space, sure, but given that it’s on the top floor, there is a bit of ceiling slant due to the roof lines, with the desk in a dormer and a small alcove that we used for a suitcase in another dormer.

There is a very small mini-bar of some snacks and a choice of two bottles of wine, but amazingly no fridge. A junior suite, and no refrigerator? That didn’t really make a lot of sense, as there is ample space in the room to situate one. I recommend that for an addition to the room.

Yes, there is a separate bath, with separate shower and free-standing claw-foot tub, but disappointingly only one surprisingly small sink, with correspondingly small shelf space, not adequate for two traveling adults. There was a towel heater—nice touch. There were separate amenities laid out for the sink, tub and shower, which was nice. But, as the very first bath proved, there was a very pronounced leak from the tub overflow drain, which I reported to the hotel quickly, and they promised they would fix. If fixed, I don’t know, as I didn’t test it and didn’t want to deal with the leak and all that water again. Also, the amenities for the tub that were there on our arrival were not replaced at all after the repair of the tub—that’s rather surprising, given the rest of the service, and the high cost of this suite per night. I expected better attention to detail.

When we arrived, the ice bucket was filled—nice touch. They offer a standard evening turn-down service, and the towels are checked and replaced as needed, the trash cans emptied and the ice bucket filled again—nice, once again.

Sleeping was very good, with it quiet inside the hotel and outside. They are close to a train line, though, about 500 yards to the west, and we noted its passage at least twice a day.

The TV had an excellent selection of DirecTV cable. The default channel when you turn it on is Fox News; I can’t help but see this as someone’s intentional decision (and not a good one). But there are no interactives, no games, no choices of PPV movies, none of that—it’s the cable only. They do offer a DVD library of about 80 top-flight movies, and the staff will bring the movies and a small player to your room, at no charge. This was a nice amenity. The DVD player only loads, plays and stops—it has no FF or rewind, and no remote control.

We had dinner at Fossett’s, and it was okay, but not great. Service was excellent, but the food was, ah, well, it seemed they were just trying too hard, with strange taste combinations. I made this same observation at the Inn at the Biltmore—the dining room was sumptuous, well-appointed and very well maintained, except for the chairs, all of which were horribly beat up and in need of refinishing or replacement.

We had the brunch at Palmer’s at the golf clubhouse on Sunday, and at 1100 when they opened there was no one around, and the clubhouse secretary had no idea what was going on—she had to call to find out the plan for the day. The service was good and food was okay, but avoid the hummus nachos (not a good combo) and the big, fat, honkin’ breakfast burrito (bland and messy).

We took advantage of the offer of (free) bicycle rides, but I was extremely disappointed in the bikes on offer and with their sad state. All of the bikes were in serious need of both repair and cleaning. There were only three bikes my size, one with a broken pedal, one with an off-center handlebar, and the one I chose. This one was very dirty, with the front derailleur inoperable and the rear brakes badly out of whack. They need to put some very serious attention to their bike fleet, and keep it serviceable and clean. There was no one to tell this to when we returned the bikes, but our waitress the next day said she worked with the club staff, so we told her about the problems, which she said she would pass along.

Each night in addition to the room charge and taxes, we were charged a $37 “resort fee.” I’m guessing that’s what gives us access to the Keswick Club. But again, at $700/night, I would argue that another $74 on top is not really necessary.

Bottom line: the wife and I had heard of this place for a long time, so had to visit. We did, and it was fun and enjoyable. But, splurging on a very expensive room, we both expected fully commensurate service, preparation and execution, especially in a venue of such modest size. Little things added up and while we were not turned off to the place we were somewhat disappointed in the lack of attention to detail, given the cost.

Room Tip: The top floor has the best views and is the most quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Janet K, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Thank you so much for your visit and your post. We certainly appreciate your comments and are disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations. Please know that take your comments to heart and have been working with our team to address those areas of concern you mentioned in your review. That said, we apologize that we fell short during your stay. We do hope you will consider joining us at Keswick again some time in the future.

Monte Hansen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

So this is my second review of Keswick Hall and I have to say my second visit far exceeded my first! The staff could not have been nicer and more accommodating - especially given the dietary restrictions my husband has. The chefs at both Fosettes and the Palmer room went outnofntheir way to create memorable and fantastic meals for my husband that workd for his very restrictive cardiac diet - they even made hi a special menu at Fosettes! My meals were also outstanding and the new pastry chef at Fosettes devised a sweet potato sorbet I adored. This stay we had a junior suite which was lovely - but note they have toned down the country house decor and it feels a little more like a hotel now the It used to - but still lovely. I would advise more art in the rooms. But the room was lovely with an old fireplace and a huge bathroom and a nice sitting area. We had too service each morning and it as prompt and all orders correct. We sat by the pool one day and had great service from the bar. Special mention to Olivia who really went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed. We will most certainly be coming back to Keswick - we had a great time!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for visiting us recently. We do appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and we are thrilled to hear that you found your second stay to be much better than your first. Your notes on the refreshed rooms were great and we can assure you that we are still evolving the rooms so more details are on the way. We look forward to having you back with us again soon!

U.S.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at Keswick, and this stay confirmed my previous impression two years ago that this is a special place. The property has beautiful sceneries. Although I don't golf, I found looking out at the natural beauty of the gold course from the outdoor patios really soothing. Having dinner alfresco while the sun slowly set over the golf course was a great experience. The staff at Keswick are unfailingly helpful, providing attentive service with a southern charm. I just have a couple of minor complaints: the wi-fi at the property seemed quite slow and unpredictable during our stay; and there were many flies buzzing around in the bar area. While I understand that might be unavoidable given it's summer time and we are out in the countryside, but it did get quite tiresome to have to keep swatting at flies that were landing on our food.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for visiting us and for posting about your visit. We are thrilled to have been able to welcome a diverse and loyal group of guests over the years and certainly look forward to the years ahead.

Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Rooms are a bit old but quaint and comfortable. Great bar and restaurant. Nice pool and fitness area. Beautiful setting for a weekend away. Plenty close to Charlottesville, Monticello, Ash Lawn, and the Blue Ridge mountains. Borrow mountain bikes and go for a ride around the neighborhood and on the trails around the Hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for visiting us in June. Thank you also for sharing your experience. We do agree that Keswick Hall is the perfect sanctuary to rest, relax, escape, and explore and we are thrilled that you had the chance to stay with us. Hurry back and visit soon.

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Keswick Hall is a beautiful property with lush green landscaping and a beautiful setting. Our room was nice, it was an odd shaped room which made it hard to maneuver with two people. The bathroom was large, but it has a pedestal sink so there is no where to put your makeup except a narrow ledge above the sink. The A/C never quite gets the room cool enough, they worked on it while we were there, but it never really cooled the room adequately. The restaurant and bar are beautiful, they both look out over the golf course. The bar also had A/C issues, it was hot and very uncomfortable to sit in and have a drink. The food at the hotel was very good, no complaints there. The pool is very nice, but there is not enough service, you have to fix your own lounger with towels and it took forever to get a drink. It seems to me they should have more than one person working the pool area, there were 26 people at the pool at one point. The "spa" is a not a spa like you think of at a 5 star resort. You check in at the golf club and go up an elevator to a very small dressing area and then into a very rundown waiting area that I could not wait to get out of. The massage was good and the actual room where you have the massage was fine. The spa could definitely use many upgrades. It is a nice place, but service is not their forte. The sister property, The Sanctuary, is far superior in every way. I would not go back to Keswick Hall for a vacation, I would go where the service is better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have slanted walls or an asymmetric shape.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
MHansen701, General Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
I am very sorry about the disappointment you experienced and would look forward to speaking with you further. Please feel free to reach out to me personally at the resort so that we may discuss your stay at your convenience.
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

We had reached the hotel late evening with our daughter and all activities had already finished. But the Keswick staff did not allow my daughter to be disappointed. They made a special effort to arrange archery activity for my daughter. Saved our vacation :). A special thanks goes to Lisa Decker (from guest services) who made this possible. Also, there activity staff was very helpful (especially Kyle, Brandon and Caroline).

Overall, the experience was excellent.

For cusine, we would heartily recommend the fettuccine at their Palmer's restaurant. Blew our palates away. The breakfast was excellent as well.

Service was excellent as we expect from a hotel of such stature. I would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been recently renovated
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that your daughter enjoyed her archery activity and for your kind recognition of the staff members that participated in her adventure. Thank you also for the mention of The Palmer Room's house made fettuccini. The roasted garlic and parmesan cream sauce with the oven roasted tomatoes, grilled broccoli and peanuts make it a favorite of all of our guests and members.
We hope that you will visit again next Memorial Day weekend or sooner!
Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I have never felt more like a VIP than at Keswick! My husband and I booked through American Express' Fine Hotels & Resorts program, which was an incredibly easy process, and the staff at Keswick were so helpful even before we arrived with information and recommendations on meals and booking spa appointments. We booked a balcony room, hoping for nice weather, and were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a gorgeous junior suite. (Other perks through AMEX were a $100 resort credit and breakfast, we paid a few dollars more for room service breakfast but totally worth it to enjoy our suite a few more moments!) We were celebrating both a birthday and anniversary, having found out about the property when it was an Orient Express property on our honeymoon at another Orient Express property. We were treated to a lovely bottle of champagne which we enjoyed on the spacious terrace of our suite, overlooking both the Blue Ridge Mountains and the resort's vineyard. Perfection! Lisa Duke and her team were so accommodating and could not have been more welcoming. Everyone called me by name which was so sweet every time I walked through the lobby. We were also treated to a fabulous tour by Victoria Castelli the resort historian and author of a book about the history of Keswick Hall. We had lunch at the Palmer Room deck which was so nice, we loved the Bloody Mary/Mimosa bar, such a cute touch. We had dinner at Fossett's and again, amazing service, atmosphere, and food. The following day I had a fabulous massage at the spa. The spa decor is definitely from the Laura Ashley days but it was cute and while it isn't a destination spa with lots of amenities, you can use the Club amenities, sauna, etc if you wish. Lunch at Villa Crawford was really lovely too, the service was not as great as our other meals but the buffet was one of the best I have had. I am already dying to go back to this property! We also enjoyed the Horizon pool which was a little chilly for me but still so fun. I liked that they restrict kids to the club pool which is nice for a parent/adult getaway. We only left the property to visit Keswick Vineyards up the road which is a nice little spot for wine tasting if you don't want to drive too far from the resort. I think Sir Ashley would be quite proud that his legacy is living on through the new owners and staff in making guests feel like they are staying at someone's country estate!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you for your review and for choosing Keswick Hall for your birthday and anniversary celebrations! We appreciate that you have mentioned so many of our wonderful staff members by name in recognition of the exceptional service that they provided. We do hope that you will return again soon to Keswick Hall!

Been to Keswick Hall? Share your experiences!