“Fabulous upmarket classy club” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   701 Club Drive, Keswick, VA 22947   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Keswick
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Fabulous upmarket classy club”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Loved the Keswick. Big fireplaces, silver service, nothing too much trouble.
Food fabulous and location great. Highly recommend. Much more personal than staying at a hotel. Felt like a member of the family.

• Stayed March 2014
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Thank you for your review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Washington, DC, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

What an absolutely delightful and luxurious weekend at Keswick Hall. My significant other and I were looking for a long weekend away from the hustle and bustle of DC, just a few hours away, and found this hotel through the Fine Hotels program of our American Express card (with an amazing deal, AND free breakfast and a resort credit). We were given a free upgrade to a junior suite that was simply perfect.

The grounds are lovely, the infinity pool delightful (even in the winter!), the food and drinks delicious, and the staff impeccable. Just minutes away from the UVa campus (which we explored for a full day), downtown Charlottesville, and a number of beautiful vineyards and Blue Mountain Brewery closeby. We also loved a Sunday evening session with the sommelier at Keswick featuring many local Va wines.

In brief, this was one of my most favorite weekend trips ever, and I highly highly recommend Keswick.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for your review! We are so pleased to hear that you found us through the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts program and that you now consider Keswick Hall one of your favorite getaways. We will hope to welcome you back to the resort again soon!
Warrenton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Several years ago we fell in love with Keswick Hall and selected it as our wedding destination and reception. Keswick continues to be our home away from home for birthdays, anniversaries, and get-away weekends. Keswick's customer service is impeccable, The staff accommodates any request we make, and it's lovely to see the same personnel at Keswick each time we return. Each menu for dining offers wonderful selections, and the food quality is amazing. Walking around the grounds and through the Hall is relaxing and enjoyable. The resort truly has old world charm with world class service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
We so appreciate your continued loyalty to Keswick Hall! We are truly honored to have been a part of your wedding celebration and to continue to be a part of your travel traditions. We look forward to your next visit and thank you for your review.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a wonderful weekend at Keswick Hall. The room, food and service was top notch. Loved the smell of the fires burning in the fireplace and I even got the chance to say "Hello" to another guest's English Bulldog (I have two at home)! Everyone was so warm and welcoming. I highly recommend the biscuits with sausage gravy for breakfast. Cannot wait to return!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are so pleased that you found everything about your stay to your liking and do hope that you will make plans to return again soon.
Yorktown, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

It starts by driving thru nature that allows to you breathe deeply and take it all in. When you first lay eyes on the grand building, you will know that your are being rewarded for the hard-work that you will now refer to as "Status". There was never a moment that my professional title and name was not used by any staff or management, as if they've known me for years. My family enjoyed their keen sense of memorization that made for great conversations with our new friends. We were treated to private archery lessons for over an hour. The breakfast menu is extensive but quaint with respect to the selection of fresh ingredients. Full dining can be enjoyed in the main house. The Golf clubhouse had smaller dining fare that is world-class.

Room Tip: For a great deal and monetary extender, purchase your stay with the Bed & Breakfast. Get one of...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent visit and review. Your kind comments regarding our staff are appreciated and will be shared with them. We do hope that you enjoyed your archery lesson. It is quickly becoming a favorite of our guests. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Keswick Hall.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Shockingly amateur and unbelievably disappointing.

This review is in reference to my experience at Keswick Hall this past summer. We booked two nights in a suite for my wedding weekend. Although I have lived in NYC, LA, and Washington, DC for my entire adult life, I grew up in Charlottesville.

We checked in late on a Saturday evening following my wedding reception. The room was traditional yet well appointed and attractive. We were unpleasantly and unexpectedly awakened before 8:00 am the next morning by major demolition on the golf course which our suite overlooked. Really? At $800/night and absolutely no acknowledgment of the weekend construction plans by Reservations?

We went down by the pool for the afternoon. A staff member asked us how our stay was going. When I acknowledged the early morning disruption, he made a rude and sarcastic reply that left my husband and I looking at each other in confusion.

Later that afternoon, we decided to open a wonderful bottle of Krug that we had received as a gift and enjoy the sundown on the hotel's veranda. I entered the small bar area off of the pool area to enquire whether we were allowed to use glass stemware poolside. Two inebriated patrons, a washed up looking, middle aged woman and her drunken, baseball cap-toting boyfriend, sized me up.

My husband joined me and as we proceeded towards a side door, the woman put out her arm and said, "Nope, you need a passport to pass through."

Huh? I was in such a good headspace and still elated from my wedding that I didn't initial realize that she was making a racial slur. Let me qualify -- one half of my family arrived in the US in the 1600s and the other half from the Middle East in 1900. Clearly, she was implying that I was an "illegal immigrant" (since she was probably not well versed in World Geography, I presume she thought I was Mexican or Hispanic).

We brushed by her and I barely contained my contempt. Once I was on the terrace, I became furious over her self appointed, racist role in determining who can patronize a restaurant.

I came back to the bar to get some napkins and was immediately addressed by the same drunken couple.

The woman belted towards me, "Habla espanol?" At first, I didn't realize she was addressing me. She repeated her question in an even more comedic, poorly pronounced manner.

Every patron in the tiny bar AS WELL as the THREE Keswick Hall staff members, looked at me in uncomfortable silence.

I replied that maybe someone needs to cut off her alcohol. The bartenders, who heard the entire conversation, DID NOTHING.

After my husband berated a server for their appalling lack of proactive behavior -- ejecting the drunken couple would have been the most appropriate course of action -- we got a weak apology from the main bartender.

The next day, we related the story to the concierge, who was truly appalled and very apologetic. At some point, she told the general manager of the hotel about the previous day's activities. He called us in our room and in the most pathetic, "Ah shucks!"/Virginia good ol' boy manner, offered to buy us a round of drinks at the pool?

Really? I think I will stick with my Krug.

No follow up. No letter of apology.

I have been a Food & Beverage Director at a major NYC hotel. I have managed 5-Star restaurants. THE SERVICE STANDARDS AT THIS RELAIS & CHATEAUX PROPERTY ARE APPALLING.

Beautiful setting but if you plan on spending that sort of money on a room, head to somewhere that has professional standards.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
The construction phase that was occurring last summer is now complete and the new Pete Dye course will be opening later this year. As a member of Preferred Hotels and Resorts, our goal is to provide each of our guests with exceptional service and a luxury travel experience that is unique to Charlottesville. Our staff receives ongoing training to assist them in providing that standard of service to each of our guests.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Really good venue for a wedding, sadly let down by aggressivley commercial approach to pretty much everything. If the quality really was 5 star then it may be justifiable - but it doesn't get there.

Rooms and food are both good. Service is OK if it suits their "standard package". But it is run as a "wedding factory" to suit the hotel staff, so just don't ask for and don't expect anything extra without extra $$$s.

Probably very nice for a quiet break. But for a big event If you don't expect much, have low standards and a big check book it will suit you very well.

Room Tip: Ask for a West facing room overlooking the Golf course.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for providing feedback on your experience in November. We sincerely regret that you felt there were shortcomings in your experience but hope that you will consider returning for a getaway weekend to enjoy our newly refurbished rooms, dining in Fossett's and the resort's many complimentary amenities, services and activities.

Been to Keswick Hall? Share your experiences!