“Great Get Away” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Keswick
U.S.
“Great Get Away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I loved almost everything about Keswick Hall, from the beautiful colonial-style room to the luxurious bed to the view of the gardens and golf course from the windows to the think slippers provided to the carafe of water thoughtfully placed on the dresser. The property is large enough for me to do a 10-mile run one morning while seeing deers, hares, and the hotel's hound dogs out in nature. Yet it has an intimate feel thanks to the excellent customer service of the staff. I definitely would like to return here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for your review and the mention of many of the details about the resort. So glad that you were able to enjoy the nature trails and all the wonderful wildlife that surrounds us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Inn is wonderful with plenty of activities. Front office staff is great too. Room was lovely and food was memorable in the restaurant and bar.

Service in the restaurant needs work. Sean was an exception--excellent bartender and waiter as was the Brazilian woman whose name I did not get. Maid service spotty--Inn needs more help all around.

Expect that most of the Inn will be filled with big groups, companies, weddings etc. As such, some of the activities like the infinity pool will not be available to individual guests. Also, there will be few people to meet outside of the club members who use the facilities. For us, that turned out fine as we met some wonderful locals who gave us tips on where to go in the area.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the service issues that you experienced and for the inconvenience that the private group functions may have caused. Your comments will most certainly be considered as we continue to refine resort policies and service procedures.
arrowatty
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Keswick this past weekend enroute from Charleston, SC to CT so that we could break up the drive and visit Monticello as well. We had our 2-year old Black Lab with us so we needed a pet-friendly hotel. We could not have been more pleased. Spectacular hotel with equally spectacular accommodations, even for our dog (the hotel is very pet-friendly, for example, with water bowls conveniently placed throughout the grounds). The grounds and vistas are incredible, and we had an incredible dinner at Fossett's - a true gourmet experience. My only regret is that I didn't play the Arnold Palmer golf course. We'll leave that for the next time!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and recent visit. We do hope that you will visit again to enjoy a round of golf and visit with Maggie, our beloved Border Collie, who works the course!
Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Wonderful memories of our 6 night stay at Keswick with our two sons in early August. The dinners we had on the terrace and the breakfasts at Fossets were, dare I say, flawless. Great Virginia inspired menu and excellent service. However what really sold us on this resort was the kids club (golf and tennis), great golf lessons for the adults with Bubba, and the stunning landscaping of the property. It has a huge range of facilities for such a small hotel of 40 odd rooms. Don't expect a mini fridge or safe in your room, it's not Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. The main wing of the building is an old house. It's not a custom built resort so the rooms are quirky, with antique furniture - that's part of the charm. For us it was unique and reminded us of hotels we've stayed at in Tuscany and England. It is expensive but we loved every minute of it and really missed it after we left. All our fears about Virginia heat during August turned out to be a non-issue. ps visit the Blue Ridge and Devils Backbone brewery when you stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
JenniferCrispPRMgr, Public Relations Manager at Keswick Hall, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for allowing us to share summer vacation with you and your family!
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Keswick Hall for three nights in mid August and while the resort is an exceptionally beautiful property there were slipups with the service under the new owners that caused us to depart feeling disappointed, for the first time in 17 years.

The staff seemed very young and inexperienced and while they tried to be friendly, it is never a substitute for competence.

It took one hour to get a wine bucket with ice delivered to my room. After 20 minutes I called room service again to make sure they hadn’t forgotten about the order. The young woman said she would check on it. Another half hour went by. A third call to room service was forwarded to the front desk. He assured me he would take care of it. Ten minutes later the ice arrived. No one in the first two calls ever asked the anyone to bring the ice. There was never an apology from management.

The next morning at breakfast I ordered an iced tea. The restaurant staff was incapable of making and delivering an iced tea throughout the entire course of the breakfast. After my first complaint they said they were having trouble with the iced tea machine. After my second complaint the hostess said she would check. After my third complaint she asked if we wanted to see the manger. Also, no one came by to pour my wife a second cup of coffee. As we were ready to leave a glass of iced tea finally appeared. This was totally unacceptable. If you know it’s going to take 20-30 minutes for the iced tea machine to brew tea, you just make a cup of hot tea and pour it into a glass of ice. But no one at this five star restaurant could figure that out. The young manager did offer to buy our breakfast but it was already included in the package. There was no follow up from anyone higher up.

This is supposed to be a non-smoking resort. But that only means no smoking in your room. Each day at the pool there would be one woman, yes only one woman, who would decide to smoke and foul the air for everyone sitting around her. Imagine sitting around the pool at one of the most beautiful, green, hilly, fresh, country settings and having cigarette smoke blown on you. I complained to the manager who said they are still formulating their smoking policy for the pool. To his credit he went over and spoke to the smoker, who continued to chain smoke every 20 minutes for the rest of the afternoon. So we ended up moving from the pool area. The manager did offer to buy our lunch but I declined since, in this case, the hotel policy did permit smoking at the pool. The policy needs to be changed. One smoker can inconvenience a lot of guests who are spending a lot of money to be there. Smokers can go to their own area when they want to smoke.

Another issue I want to mention is the resort fee, or service charge, 10% of the room rate. Some resorts are starting to charge this. A lot of guests call it a scam and say we should refuse to pay it. My feeling is the hotel will get it one way or another, either as a service charge or add it to the room rate. But what I don’t understand is how they can base the resort fee on the room rate. I was in a $500 a night room. Why should I pay twice the resort fee of someone in a $250 a night room? It just doesn’t make sense. It’s insulting to the guests. And the resort fee doesn't even include a mint or cookie with turn down service, nor a bottle of water.

Finally, when we checked out, not one staffer at the hotel ever said to us, “Did you enjoy your stay,” something that employees at even a Holiday Inn are trained to ask.

Not to be entirely negative, the resort property is beautiful, the pool is outstanding, and our balcony room had a stunning wrap around terrace.

In spite of these missteps we would return to Keswick Hall. It’s a beautiful resort and it really has no competition nearby. But the new owners should pay more attention to service and better train their staff. Do not take the Conde Nast rating as the number one small resort in America for granted. It could be in danger.

Tom Giusto, Alexandria, VA.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for making us aware of your disappointments during your recent stay. Our General Manager has reached out to you personally via e-mail and we thank you in advance for your consideration of his message.
Please know that we were very concerned with all of your comments and have taken steps to address the service issues in room service and during breakfast service. We have also now implemented a no smoking policy at the Horizon Pool and a new resort fee structure will be in place beginning October 1. In the meantime, those resort fees have been removed from your bill.
Thank you again for taking time to make us aware of these issues so that we can continue to improve the experience for our guests. Please accept our most sincere apologies that these areas had not addressed prior to your visit.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We spent two nights here while we were visiting UVA. We were able to get a very agreeable rate thru AAA which is why we stayed here even tho we couldn't make much use of all the beautiful amenities. My only complaint was that they charged me $50 night for a rollaway and that wasn't made clear when booking and they charged $20-25 per say for a resort fee. If those two charges had been made completely clear when I booked I would have stayed elsewhere on this particular trip. Otherwise, our deluxe room was lovely and the service was great.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your review and for choosing Keswick for your visit to the University of Virginia. We do apologize that the rollaway charges and the resort fee were not made clear to you at the time of booking. Your comments have been shared with our Reservations staff so that we can improve this communication.
Northern Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We enjoyed our two-night stay at Keswick Hall in early August, 2012, and adored the pastoral setting and lovely views that the inn provides.

My wife and I found the staff to be extremely capable and professional, as well as friendly without being intrusive. We had massages at the spa (excellent) and dinner at Fossett’s one night, which epitomized fine dining as I know it to be with efficient and knowledgeable servers (who knew their wines and cheeses, and more importantly, how to serve both) food extravagantly prepared to individual preferences by well-educated and proficient chefs, and a dining room that is perfectly decorated and a to-die-for view overlooking the countryside which also happens to be the lovely golf course.

I must say we enjoyed our dinner very much, and were wowed by the extent of the turn-down service in our room, which is the best I've ever seen (Nicely done, Keswick!) We were very pleased with all the inn’s amenities.

Unfortunately, Keswick Hall fell short in a couple of areas that I’d like to call attention to. Namely, the “closing door” noise we experienced in our Deluxe King room. While the room was visually beautiful and very well appointed (an always-full ice bucket, for instance, a fruit basket displayed aesthetically, specially baked wafer cookies, etc.) the noise from other guest’s doors closing in the corridor woke us constantly during the night and early morning. I presume this is because the room’s doors are heavy wood, yet each time one closed it seemed to shake the very bed we were sleeping on. Would it be possible to install better closers on the doors so they don’t slam with such a resounding ‘boom’? Door-bottom sweeps would reduce the noise and vibrations as well. It was tough on my wife and I, who are both light sleepers and I hope management looks into it.

The other matter is minor: when we arrived at Keswick Hall in 90+ heat, we made a bee-line for the infinity pool which is majestically set aside the inn. Unfortunately, when we arrived there at 4:30pm, all the chaise lounges were full (not ‘saved’ but actually occupied) which resulted in a quick dip and a return to our room when we really wanted to relax and read our books. I believe the inn needs to increase the number of chaise lounges at this popular pool and there seems to be ample room to do so.

Regardless, these shortcomings merely detracted from the excellence of Keswick Hall. I would readily return there, assuming a quiet room could be guaranteed for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, if possible facing the golf course